Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Rookie มือใหม่
    Join Date
    8 Sep 2019

    Default Is it worth shipping your things due to taxes and hassle?

    Hi all,

    I have just joined, been contacting removal companies and shipping companies and already I am worried about the costs v selling as much as I can and just buying new in Thailand.

    I would love to hear your experiences, I have read a couple of the threads and some seem to be just winging it and hoping they don't get caught out, that's fine I guess but I will have a lot of electrical items which I understand they tax high as regarded as luxury items. I have had a quote of around £750 for about 20 boxes although I might be able to get this down when I do it for real if it comes to that.

    I am mostly worried about the taxes as if it starts going over 1k its not worth it, most of it is Hi-Fi electricals, computers and tools. When I go next I will take as many of the smaller electricals in my suitcase but as I say really not sure what to do?

    Many thanks all.


  2. #2
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Ivan's Avatar
    Join Date
    19 Jan 2003
    Bang Bua Thong


    This only applies if your married. I shipped most of my stuff to Thailand including Computer, Monitors TV and other electrical items and tools. Put all the shipping documents in my wife's name as a returning resident. So no Tax problems. We used Seven Seas which gave us a lot of good advice and stored the container free for two months until the house was ready

  3. #3
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ
    Join Date
    4 Mar 2018


    Same experience as Ivan. Put everything in the bosses name, shipped from London to Phuket (over land from BKK to Phuket), no taxes to pay and had PC, Hi Fi, TV etc in their. Don't worry about it.


  4. #4
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Essex boys's Avatar
    Join Date
    1 Feb 2016
    Romford/ nam phong


    Hi gents, I have been looking through the shipping threads, and have today been looking at the Thai customs clearance requirements for personal import goods, I'm not married yet but want to to ship some personal effects some tools etc and an expensive mountain bike that I'm reluctant to sell in London as I just won't get the money that it's worth. There will be things like a Honda weed wacker and my roll cab and hand tools plus some other stuff, can I get my gf to say it's her stuff and that she is returning to Thailand or should I say it's my stuff as they seem to allow you to bring stuff in as long as you have your non immigrant visa in your passport, I will paste the page from Thai customs here, but looking for any advice please from those who have done this themselves.

    Personal Effectsmeans personal belongings which the owner brings with him/her for their own use or in their professions, for example clothes, books (of appropriate quantity) except motor cars, guns, bullets, and provisions. However, for liquor, cigarettes, cigars or tobaccos brought by the passengers themselves, they may be granted duty exemption by the Director-General of Customs, provided that their quantities do not exceed the following:
    1. 200 cigarettes or cigar of 250 g each or 250 g of all these multiple types
      however,cigarettes are limited to no more than 200 pcs.
    2. One litre of liquor

    Household Effects includes other goods than the personal effects, which are brought with the passengers in or out of the country. To be eligible for duty exemption, the importers are required to have owned, possessed, and used the household effects before they return to Thailand to resume residence and the quantity of the household effects is required to be reasonable. Examples of the household effects include televisions, refrigerators, air-conditioners, etc.
    Criteria for Used Household Effects Duty Exemption

    1. Both Thai and non-Thai residents changing residence into Thailand are eligible to bring used/secondhand household effects into Thailand, in reasonable quantities, free of taxes and duties. It is also required that the imported used/ secondhand household effects have been owned, possessed, and used in the country where the importers resided before returning to Thailand to resume residence. In case where the household effects are electrical appliances e.g. radios, televisions, refrigerators, microwaves, ovens, air conditioners, etc., only ONE unit each of such items is eligible for tax and duty free allowance. However, if it is the family change of residence, TWO units each of the items will be allowed to bring in tax and duty free. Any excess unit shall be subject to regular taxes and duties, and Customs will place the items that have the lowest rate of duty under tax and duty exemption. It is important that the used/secondhand household effects must be imported not earlier than one month before or not later than six months after the arrival of the importers. Under exceptional circumstances, Customs may extend the time limits for the importers.
    2. Nonresidents who change their residence into Thailand and Thai government officials who took up posts abroad and returned to their residence in Thailand are eligible to be granted duty exemption for their household effects in reasonable quantities as stated in item 1 above.
    3. Thai students or Thai government officials who pursued their study or study visit abroad and Thai people who moved to live abroad may import the used/secondhand household effects acquired abroad tax and duty free provided that they have owned, possessed, and used the household effects before they returned to Thailand to resume residence and that there is an evidence showing that they lived abroad no less than one year.
    4. Criteria for changing residence are as follows:

    - Nonresidents

    (1) Nonresidents changing their residence into Thailand must be granted a non-immigrant quota as shown in their passports or Nonresident Identification Cards; or

    (2) Nonresidents granted to work in Thailand are regarded as resuming residents in Thailand provided they have a one-year non-immigrant visa issued by the Immigration Department. In case where the non-immigrant visa has not yet been granted, either of the following documents may be accepted:

        1. The letter from the Immigration Department certifying that the nonresidents shall be granted an annual temporary stay in Thailand; or
        2. The work permit from the Department of Labor to work in Thailand for no less than one year.

    (3) Nonresidents entering Thailand as an expert, specialist, or under a contract of government agencies are required to present the letter from relevant agencies certifying that such nonresidents are granted a non-immigrant visa issued by the Immigration Department and shall work in Thailand for no less than one year.

      1. Accompanying spouses of the nonresidents in (2) and (3) are regarded as resuming residence in Thailand provided the spouses have non-immigrant visas issued by the Immigration Department to stay in Thailand for the first 90 days.

    - Thai Residents:

        1. Thai residents or government officials who worked or carried out a working visit abroad for no less than one year. In case where the Thai residents/government officials must return to Thailand before one year, evidence showing that the return is caused by the termination of contracts, reshuffle of positions, or early termination of working visits, is required.
        2. Thai residents living abroad under other reasons than those indicated in (1) for no less than one year are required to undertake a commitment that they will return to Thailand to resume residence.

    Documents required:

    1. A draft Import Declaration
    2. A passport
    3. Nonresidents are required to submit the following documents:
      1. The letter issued by the Immigration Department confirming that an annual temporary stay is granted
      2. A one-year (or more) work permit issued by the Department of Labor
      3. The letter from a relevant government agency confirming that a non-immigrant visa from the Immigration Department is granted and that working period in Thailand is not less than 1 year, for those entering Thailand as an expert, specialist, or under government contracts

    4. Thai Residents are required to submit an evidence of changing residence e.g. a transcript, reshuffle of positions, termination of employment contract, etc.
    5. A Bill of Lading or air waybill
    6. An invoice (if any)
    7. A packing list or sale documents (if any)
    8. A permit in case of restricted goods
    9. An application for duty exemption
    10. Other documents e.g. a letter of power of attorney (if any).


    1. The importer/agent submits an Application for Duty Exemption, and all supporting documents to the Duty Exemption and Investment Promotion Sub-Division, Central Service Division of Bangkok Port Customs Office or the port of entry
    2. Customs examines the documents and the Application for Duty Exemption on the household effects. For the items not eligible for duty exemption, their duties will be charged like normal goods
    3. Customs returns the documents to the importer, and the importer/agent submits an Import Declaration and then proceeds to payment of duty and taxes (if any)
    4. The importer/agent presents the Import Declaration and the supporting documents at the Customs Service Division for the release of goods (like a normal case).

    For more information

    For queries or more information, please contact:
    Duty Exemption and Investment Promotion Sub-Division, Central Service Division of Bangkok Port Customs Office
    Tel. 02-667-7000 ext. 20-5523, 20-7638 or 20-5539

    Duty Exemption and Investment Promotion Sub-Division, Central Service Division of Suvarnabhumi Airport Cargo Clearance Customs Office
    Tel. 02-667-7000 ext. 25-3216 or 02-134-1252.

    Last update : October 8, 2018 15:27:16
    Viewer counter : 93,913

    For more information please contact. : Suvarnabhumi Airport Passenger Control Customs Office
    Bang Phli District, Samut Prakan 10540 Thailand
    Telephone number : 0-2134-0401 หรือ 0-2667-7000 ต่อ 25-3106

  5. #5
    Admin maokaang's Avatar
    Join Date
    10 Sep 2002


    Fourteen years ago now, but I put the shipping for a 20 foot container in my name, without issue. When it came to customs, via a shipping agent, I sent four passports (mine - UK, wife and two children - 3 Thai) to show entitlement for 4 persons recently arrived in Thailand, plus an inventory of contents. Paid a small under the table 'coffee money' charge for them to accept my inventory without question (saved me a fortune compared to had they opened the container ) and didn't pay a single baht in import duty. The only requirement they needed for my passport to qualify was that I had a non-immigrant visa to show I was intending to stay.

    So, 4 bicycles, 2 TVs, 2 computers, etc. ... no problem, plus the stuff they never saw
    Paul พอล

  6. #6
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Essex boys's Avatar
    Join Date
    1 Feb 2016
    Romford/ nam phong


    That's nice result maokang I have got an online quote from seven seas shipping as used by Ivan, for a small container measuring 77inches x 47 inches x 37inches of £458 this includes dropping shipping box to my house waiting for me to load it (I'm allowed 60 minutes to load it) and then sea freight into samut prakan, it also includes all handling and agents fees in samut prakan, but I have to supply the list of the contents of the box, as you say, I'm hoping that they can't be bothered to open the box up to check what's there, if it looks like they are going to open the box up then I will have to offer some tea money to try and change their minds....interestingly enough seven seas wanted over a £1,000 to deliver the box from samut prakan to khon kaen!!! So I'm going to collect it myself

Similar Threads

  1. [Thai Property] Taxes
    By Ajfinknottle in forum Website / Forum Issues / The Starting Post
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 18th Jul 2014, 14:25
  2. pm hassle
    By Linne in forum Website / Forum Issues / The Starting Post
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 8th Oct 2010, 07:23
  3. Passport hassle
    By Compass Call in forum Announcements
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 3rd Aug 2010, 13:17
  4. No visa hassle for hols
    By SyThai in forum Accommodation / Tourism
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 22nd Jan 2008, 06:43
  5. ILR expense and the hassle?
    By bilbo in forum General
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 15th Dec 2007, 10:38


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts