Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Importing a car from Thailand to UK

Has anyone ever imported a car from Thailand to the UK? basically my mother in law bought a 1.5m baht Toyota Fortuner in my wifes name. MIL now wants to either sell it to give us the money from it (theyre only offering about 400k 3 years later!) or send it over here.
    I have read posts about people wanting to take their cars to thailand from here but never the other way round!

when I have read about it on the gov.uk website it says that you have to declare the vehicle 14 days after you import it and then receive a VAT bill. I cant see anywhere what they base the VAT bill on as a lot of the website seems to be geared towards importing a brand new car!

any tips would be appreciated.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

I am not 100% sure, but I think you will have to pay both VAT and duty. If you had been living in Thailand and had decided to return back to the UK and bring your car, then I think you would of been exempt of paying any VAT or duty. Taking into account VAT and duty, which I think is 10%, plus shipping, would it be really worth it?

Member สมาชิก

it won't meet Euro emissions standards, does that mean it can still be imported ?

Very surprised at that resale value, used cars are very expensive in Thailand and Toyotas hold their value. I'd have expected at least double that if not more. It is worth getting some more valuations.

a friend did the same to a ford ranger and said he wishes he hadn't bothered with all the running around and fees. also a Toyota Fortuner is not a model sold in the UK. so will it meet all the requirements, type approval etc.. the value you have quoted is far too cheap

it won't meet Euro emissions standards, does that mean it can still be imported ?
    It probably can be imported but its likely as not going to be banned in most cities in the UK or its going to be very expensive to drive it.
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Forum Antiquity ของโบราณ bifftastic's Avatar

I'm not sure who quoted you that price but a quick search came up with this
    https://www.one2car.com/en/for-sale/...athani/5995960
    "You're so unapproachable!"
    "And yet, here you are."

Thanks for the input gents. I spoke to a shipping company and he said it's a beurocratic nightmare to do. He said on top of that on a car of that price range I wouldn't get much change out of £10k once a said and done.
    As said above I think the garage have given a lowball figure so best option is to try sell privately

I'm pretty sure the Fortuners don't have heaters, so you might be a bit chilly. Also, I'm sure someone here thinking the same thing found that they weren't aproved to be used on UK roads. J

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by walshie View Post
    Has anyone ever imported a car from Thailand to the UK? basically my mother in law bought a 1.5m baht Toyota Fortuner in my wifes name. MIL now wants to either sell it to give us the money from it (theyre only offering about 400k 3 years later!)
    Sorry just read that offer. Cars here really hold their values and we keep them a lot longer than in the UK. A 3 year old Fortuner is worth 900, 000 to a million baht, maybe even a bit more. Is it two or four wheel drive ?
    J

PS - Where is the car ? I could put you onto a Thai dealership I know here an have bought several cars over the years.

I mentioned this to my wife and she reminded me that last year we part exe’d a twelve year old Isuzu MU7 and got 325,000 Baht for it. That’s dealer price. The MU7 is normally pegged at the same price at a Fortuner.