Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Default ILR - Leaving the UK

Hi there

My wife has ILR status and we would like to go back to Thailand for a while - maybe 6 months.
    Can somebody confirm how long she is allowed to be out of the UK before it impacting on her ILR status? (I think it is 2 years).

Also - I think she is eligible to apply for British Citizenship now - would it be better to do that first?

Many thanks, Mark and Orn

Blog Entries

Six months should be fine, however she is likely time qualified for naturalisation so perhaps that is a worthy investment to avoid all possibilities of problems in the future? Once she is British she can come and go as often, and for as long, as she wishes, just like you and I.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Quote Originally Posted by Marky Cha-am View Post
    Can somebody confirm how long she is allowed to be out of the UK before it impacting on her ILR status? (I think it is 2 years).
    Correct

I think she is eligible to apply for British Citizenship now - would it be better to do that first?
    If she is eligible and her trip can wait then I would advise doing it ASAP (if everything is in place).
    As with all things, the sooner the better before things change.

If she does want to go then there are time periods to consider:

The residence requirements are as follows: have lived in the UK for at least 3 years before the date of your application. spent no more than 270 days outside the UK during those 3 years. spent no more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months.
    I'm ONE of the 52%

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

I read that if you are married to a British citizen that you can apply for naturalisation straight away after receiving ILR instead of having to wait first (I think it's 6 months).

Once my wife and stepdaughter receive ILR towards the end of next year they will apply for naturalisation straight away.
    Stepdaughter turns 18 at the end of 2021 so I imagine if she applied for it after turning 18 she would have to take the B1 and LITUK also.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsw727 View Post
    I read that if you are married to a British citizen that you can apply for naturalisation straight away after receiving ILR instead of having to wait first (I think it's 6 months).
    Correct on the first bit as you will have been here longer than the 3 years required. It is 12 months not 6 if just applying after getting ILR, after 5 years (not as a married partner).

From UK Gov Website
    You’re married to or in a civil partnership with a British citizen
    To apply as the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen you must have lived in the UK for the last 3 years.

You’ll also need to have one of the following:

indefinite leave to remain
    settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme
    a permanent residence document to confirm you have permanent residence status
    If you do, you’ll be eligible to apply for citizenship immediately.
    I'm ONE of the 52%