Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Rookie มือใหม่

Default Getting legally married in Thailand

My British partner and I (we are both British) are getting married in Phuket in April 2020.

As I understand it, we have to do the following to make our wedding legally recognized in Thailand (and subsequently the uk):

1. Certify our British passports at the British embassy (£25 per document)
    2. Get our affirmations of freedom to marry administered at the embassy (£50 per document)
    3. Get both documents above translated into Thai (~300 THB per doc)
    4. Legalize copies of affirmation and passport at ministry of foreign affairs (400 THB per doc for express service)
    5. Register marriage at district office (300THB, more to have officer attend the wedding)
    6. Legalise marriage certificate and marriage registration certificate at MFA (400 THB per doc express)
    7. Translate marriage certificate into English (~300 THB)

Our wedding is complicated by the fact that we are getting married during Songkran, so the district office is closed, and as it’s also Easter, the embassy is closed for several days before the wedding, so time to do the certifying and legalizing ourselves is limited.

Our wedding planner has suggested using an agent to help in Bangkok and to get a district officer to attend the wedding to sign the marriage certificate on the day. This all sounds great but we’ve been quoted... wait for it... almost 52000 THB!!

We know this is absolutely taking the p*ss so aren’t going to even entertain it, but I’m interested to hear other people’s experiences if they’ve done it lately. How many days did it take and is there a way around using an agent to do step 6 above, given we aren’t returning to Bangkok after the wedding?

Also, if anyone knows a reputable agent in Bangkok that won’t rip me off to assist with this I would be grateful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ PlymouthNick's Avatar

Have you read this. https://www.thethailandlife.com/marr...ailand-diy-day When I married my wife in 2012 we did manage to do it all in 1 day. Seems a bit more to it these days though. Good luck.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

I thought in a previous thread, you had decided to do the legal part in the UK, so you don't have to go through the hassle of translations etc etc.

Rookie มือใหม่

Hi Greg/Pairin. No I’ve never decided to do it in the uk, I think that was someone’s interpretation of what I had said earlier. We most definitely want to do it in Thailand.

Surely as two BRITISH people you don't need all the above only if one of you is a Thai. Lots of people go to Thailand to get married. Sounds like hard work.
    Melnathan

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ toddmeister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by melnathan View Post
    Sounds like hard work
    During Songkran! An absolute nightmare more like

Member สมาชิก

We used an agent for it 11 years ago and it was very easy. I can't recall the cost but it wasn't big. Find a different agent perhaps.

I have a client here that organizes weddings, he’s foreign (Australian I think) with a Thai wife. Very nice couple. . I don’t know if they do the legal part. Happy to put you in touch if you want. Also, not sure if you have any friends here but if not give me a shout if you need anything. I’ve lived and worked here for ten years so am very familiar with the island.

Rookie มือใหม่

Hi James, thank you for your reply. I would be grateful if you wouldn’t mind putting me in touch with your Australian friend. Whilst others might not appreciate the importance of my fiancé and I being legally married on the day of our Thai wedding, to us it’s crucial that our 60 friends and family flying in from halfway around the world get to witness it. If we were just to go down to the local UK registry office then what would be the point of going all the way to Thailand for a wedding?!

Member สมาชิก

When we got married in Thailand we actually did the legal bit first, and then the usual large traditional Thai wedding celebration and party a few days later.

Rookie มือใหม่

Quote Originally Posted by ray8472 View Post
    When we got married in Thailand we actually did the legal bit first, and then the usual large traditional Thai wedding celebration and party a few days later.
    It’s looking like we might have to do the same! Bit disappointing really.

Quote Originally Posted by mxkx View Post
    It’s looking like we might have to do the same! Bit disappointing really.

Why ?

If you had a church wedding in the UK, your guests only get to see the non legal bit.
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Are you talking about the signing of the register?