Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Old Hand มือเก่า

Default Which passport - after some help please

Evening All

Sorry if I’ve posted in wrong forum, also done a search with no joy.

After some please :-)

Su has British (married name) and also Thai (maiden name) passport.

For years, every visit back to LOS Su has used British and under 30 day trip.

This time will be 32 days and we’ve booked in married name (British passport) so a bit concerned about visa issue.

Su seems to think she done following before, hopefully this will work if so no visa prob:

Use British passport entering/ leaving UK, use Thai passport entering/ leaving Thailand ?

Thanks for your help and good to see this forum is still going strong

Sy
    Sy n Su

Blog Entries

That shouldn't be a problem at all. Just be prepared to explain to the check-in staff if they ask.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Member สมาชิก

My wife is in the same position. We've travelled to Thailand several times

Book plane ticket in married name

UK check-in counter and boarding - UK passport
    Arrive Bangkok airport Immigration - Thai passport

return journey
    BKK
    check-in counter- UK passport
    Immigration control - Thai passport
    departure gate - back to UK passport
    arrival UK - UK passport

Whatever you do, don't show both passports to Thai immigration unless they ask. My wife did that the first time, and we were almost prevented from leaving the country because the immigration officer unknown to us booked her into Thailand on the UK passport and then when she presented the Thai one to immigration on departure, there was no record of her arrival. Only the intervention of a supervisor who was very nice to us prevented us from being detained and missing the plane.

It is painful. I had advised my wife to get her UK passport in her maiden name so both were the same, but she preferred to take the advice of one other Thai friends at the time to get it in married name. And now there is the problem of course you can't renew the UK passport because the names are not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by ray8472 View Post
    I had advised my wife to get her UK passport in her maiden name so both were the same, but she preferred to take the advice of one other Thai friends at the time to get it in married name.
    We actually filled out Nok's Citizenship application in her maiden name but was advised at the appointment to change it to the married name, unknown to us the problems it would cause latter down the road, we did as was suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by ray8472 View Post
    And now there is the problem of course you can't renew the UK passport because the names are not the same.
    Good you are aware of this and it needs to be sorted to prevent a major headache at time of renewal of British passport.

Quote Originally Posted by SyThai View Post
    Su has British (married name) and also Thai (maiden name) passport.
    Sy, are you aware of the problems this causes now with renewal of the British passport?
    As in all passports held must be in the same name.
    I'm ONE of the 52%

Just check the Thai passport is fully in date, as immigration will let you in on an expired Thai passport, but if it's out of date, they will not let you out of the country on it, and you cannot use the UK one as not got the visa on arrival entry stamps. Wife had this very problem and it resulted in her being denied boarding, having to get new passport and flights. For which the travel insurance would not pay, as it was her error.

Member สมาชิก

Quote Originally Posted by Gary & Nok View Post
    We actually filled out Nok's Citizenship application in her maiden name but was advised at the appointment to change it to the married name, unknown to us the problems it would cause latter down the road, we did as was suggested.
    My wife was naturalised under her maiden name, and the certificate is in that maiden name. Only when she needed a passport did she ask for it under her married name on the advice of her friend.

Old Hand มือเก่า

Thanks Guys.... that a great help and have put my mind at rest (I'm a bit of a worrier !)

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gary & Nok View Post
    Sy, are you aware of the problems this causes now with renewal of the British passport?
    As in all passports held must be in the same name.
    To be fair have just renewed Su's British passport 2 months ago and no probs..... so easy now that can do all on line ;-)

Cheers Sy
    Sy n Su

I take it Su didn't send her thai passport when applying for a new passport?
    Probably helped having the name Su(e)
    Wish my wife had done the same but with her first name (Saowaluk) ...decidedly dodgy.

Quote Originally Posted by galahad View Post
    I take it Su didn't send her thai passport when applying for a new passport?
    OK if not valid but if still valid, bit of a risk as does ask for all valid passports to be sent.
    But it's paid off (for now).
    I'm ONE of the 52%

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by galahad View Post
    I take it Su didn't send her thai passport when applying for a new passport?.
    I did form online for her.... must have missed that bit! Probably for the best then
    Sy n Su

yep...saved yourself a whole load of grief....alongside the time and expense!
    At least you have another 10 years to get her surname changed to yours before her next renewal.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Had a similar issue few years ago, about 15 (!). We both entered on our UK passports, both overstayed by a week, and were both fined. The IO told my wife that if she had presented her Thai ID card with her British passport then they would have given her a one year visa stamp. Never found out because after that we made sure she had her a Thai passport with her on entry.