Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old Hand มือเก่า

Default Just making sure

Ok looking at flights at xmas to bkk from Manchester and very expensive so i have done a little research and can get the easy jet flights to Amsterdam where i then can go etihad will the wife have any problems with transit at Amsterdam deep down i know the answer just if someone could confirm all will be ok '
    Even flying back to London from Amsterdam and going by British airways is £300 cheaper each that is a saving off £600

I think she will need a Schengen visa for the Netherlands to do this. If her destination is Amsterdam on Easyjet she won't be in transit, surely?

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you stay in the airport before boarding your Etihad flight.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Have you looked at flying by KLM to Schipol...from Humberside or possibly other UK airports..My wife flew from there in August and it was very reasonable..and very relaxing going through a small airport..Check in 45 minutes before the flight..no big queues..

My mate just booked his last week, 5th December LHR to BKK on Thai for £464. I know it's not Manchester but is it worth travelling to LHR?

Remember that if you do the route you suggest, if you miss your flight out of Amsterdam (I'm sure this is correct, someone will correct me of not) you will not be eligible for a replacement as it will be 2 separate flights.
    I'm ONE of the 52%

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ prikphet's Avatar

5th Dec wouldn't be in the Kids Hols so would be cheaper - I think high season normally start around the 10th.
    Also if booking from BKK try Expedia.com always found them quite reasonable coming back the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary & Nok View Post
    Remember that if you do the route you suggest, if you miss your flight out of Amsterdam (I'm sure this is correct, someone will correct me of not) you will not be eligible for a replacement as it will be 2 separate flights.
    You would need to have all flights on 1 ticket/booking = through ticket, doesn't necessarily mean that you will make the connecting flight but the airline will have to rebook you FOC on the next available flight if you dont.

Depending on the airlines ticketing agreement with other airlines (interline agreement) this may or may not be possible using different airlines.

If booking through an agent make sure you ask as you could have 2 tickets on 1 booking but that wouldn't allow the FOC rebook above.

If you dont have a through ticket make sure you leave plenty of time in case of delays especially if your onward ticket doesnt allow changes/refunds.

Its a choice between saving money and spending time at airports or paying more and having some security.
    I always go for the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Elad View Post
    Shouldn't be a problem as long as you stay in the airport before boarding your Etihad flight.
    I would have thought that the whole flight from Manchester to Bangkok would have to be on the same ticket to do this. Why would the airline allow somebody board an aircraft to Amsterdam when they could just walk out of the airport after collecting their bags and be in the Schengen zone?

I do that trip frequently and there are immigration checks stopping anyone leaving airport. collecting bags is the main problem so I do hand baggage only
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Quote Originally Posted by rasg View Post
    I would have thought that the whole flight from Manchester to Bangkok would have to be on the same ticket to do this. Why would the airline allow somebody board an aircraft to Amsterdam when they could just walk out of the airport after collecting their bags and be in the Schengen zone?
    You could be right there rasg. Also, they would have to go through Amsterdam immigration to collect their bags.

That was my reason for suggesting that a Schengen visa would be needed if it wasn't a through flight.

If it’s two sets of separate tickets then they would have to clear immigration collect their bags and then check in for the next flights from scratch. So Mrs Samsung would need a visa to enter the country as that is exactly what she would be doing.

I’m guessing that if there were no bags involved then the Samsungs both could do an online check in, print their boarding cards, remain airside and just get on the next flight, but that’s assuming all the flights are in the same terminal. Sounds very dodgy to me though. I think it was Beckie Bloomwood who once posted her suitcase abroad to avoid lugging it around the airport, but there are a couple of issues with that.

Old Hand มือเก่า

Im sure Amsterdam is all one terminal but rasg you could be right about collecting bags but misses Samsung would not need as i would do the donkey work problem solved if Brexit does not prevent me lol.
    The flights are maximum peak 15th Dec -return 10th Jan .so are expensive there are some serious savings to be had doing it this way like i said doing the BA flight but starting in Amsterdam is a saving of around £300 each .
    Outbound

Mon, 16 Dec 2019

all times are local

11:40
    AMS
    16h 10

1 stop LHR

09:50+1
    BKK

Return

Fri, 10 Jan 2020

11:25
    BKK
    16h 45

1 stop LHR

22:10
    AMS

Book your ticket
    Economy class, 1 adult

Read before booking

Expedia

£704

Select

Outbound

Mon, 16 Dec 2019

all times are local

15:20
    LHR
    11h 30

Direct

09:50+1
    BKK

Return

Fri, 10 Jan 2020

11:25
    BKK
    13h 15

Direct

17:40
    LHR

Book your ticket
    Economy class, 1 adult

Read before booking

Travelpack

£953

Select

Outbound

Mon, 16 Dec 2019

all times are local

07:00
    MAN
    1h 25

Direct

09:25
    AMS

Book your ticket
    Economy class, 1 adult

Read before booking

easyJet Airline

£51

Select

I could ditch the last leg back to Amsterdam and get the virgin train back to manchester and still be £s in .No luggage

Im sure Amsterdam is all one terminal
    It is split into Schengen and non schengen
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Whichever way it it I would suggest that Samsung checks with an airline. If they won’t let her in the aircraft any saving he made on the flights could turn into a very costly mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Samsung View Post
    The flights are maximum peak 15th Dec -return 10th Jan .so are expensive there are some serious savings to be had doing it this way like i said doing the BA flight but starting in Amsterdam is a saving of around £300 each .
    Can you not be more flexible with your dates?
    From personally experience, I have found that flights tend to be cheaper if you have an outbound mid week flight.
    If you flew from Manchester, prices are about the £950 mark for you exact dates, fly out on a Thursday 12th Dec and it's about £750, flying with BA.

Would this be an option?
    https://www.netherlandsandyou.nl/tra...t-transit-visa

Old Hand มือเก่า

I would say the main problem is getting off the easy jet and being able to transit through the airport to the eitihad flight or Ba flight should be no problem with airlines refusing boarding unless you can not transit through Amsterdam.
    I would have all the documents stating that i was just transferring flights and no visa is needed .
    The dates are fixed .

Which documents would they be? I think you will have problems with your wife being allowed to board the aircraft in UK in the first place. The staff at UK airports are not geared up to think for themselves. If you try this make sure you are there very early

Quote Originally Posted by Samsung View Post
    I would say the main problem is getting off the easy jet and being able to transit through the airport to the eitihad flight or Ba flight should be no problem with airlines refusing boarding unless you can not transit through Amsterdam.
    I would have all the documents stating that i was just transferring flights and no visa is needed .
    The dates are fixed .
    What about a Transit Visa ?

https://www.netherlandsandyou.nl/tra...t-transit-visa

Just checked this myself and according to their “wizard” a Thai National does not need a Transit Visa

https://consular.mfaservices.nl/sche...r/IntendedStay

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rasg View Post
    Which documents would they be? I think you will have problems with your wife being allowed to board the aircraft in UK in the first place. The staff at UK airports are not geared up to think for themselves. If you try this make sure you are there very early
    The “documents” would be confirmed onward travel, such as an e-ticket confirmation and boarding cards.

I did the same but your second link does not work.