Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Member สมาชิก

Default Settlement Visa. Use Agency or not

Hi Guys

I wonder if anybody could advise?

We plan to apply for a settlement visa next year for my wife and I wondered if this is much more difficult than the visitor Visa which we have applied for ourselves 3 times without any problems.

I have read that the Settlement Visa is much harder to obtain. I hear that even if you are eligible based upon personal circumstances and wages that despite this any accidental omissions or documents errors will result in a rejection without consultation.
    I have no concerns about being eligible for the Visa just what I read that Sheffield is unforgiving in the process and uncontactable which has made me consider an agency

Any views would be good and I will balance everything.

Cheers and thanks in anticipation.

Nick

I f you've had three successful visit visas, then you can easily do a settlement visa yourself. Agents are a waste of money and most of them don't know what they're doing.
    As long as you (the sponsor) can prove you're earning over 18,600 for the last 12 months, you own/rent a property in the UK, and your wife has certificates for A1 english and TB test, then you'll be fine to apply.

If you get stuck filling the online application form, just post away on this forum and someone will help you.

Quote Originally Posted by nickj1000 View Post
    We plan to apply for a settlement visa next year for my wife and I wondered if this is much more difficult than the visitor Visa which we have applied for ourselves 3 times without any problems.

I have read that the Settlement Visa is much harder to obtain. I hear that even if you are eligible based upon personal circumstances and wages that despite this any accidental omissions or documents errors will result in a rejection without consultation.
    I have no concerns about being eligible for the Visa just what I read that Sheffield is unforgiving in the process and uncontactable which has made me consider an agency
    A settlement visa is much easier than a visit visa imho as there is no need for a reason to return. An ECO can consult or request more info, as far as I know. The trick is to make sure you supply everything that is required.

You already have 75-80% of the info needed from the previous visit visas. Your wife will need a language test and if she is here in the UK at any point beforehand, I would suggest that she takes it here in the UK. Again my opinion, it's easier. A TB test will be needed at the IOM in Bangkok. 3300 baht the last time I checked. Your wife will nip off to a hospital for the Xray and then go back to the IOM building to pick the certificate up.

No need for a visa company at all. If you have done three visit visas before you will have no difficulty.

Old Hand มือเก่า

Agree 100 per cent sure English test done in the UK are easier as long as the examiner has not got a broad accent .
    Also to be honest the fee my agent charged was OK after all the translations were done but like Rasg says you do the work yourself and pass onto them ,I was recommended her by a few people and she lived up to her recommendations .

Member สมาชิก

Hi there everybody. Thanks very much for your comments, very helpful, good members on this forum for sure. I had an offer of 1000 from a london agency, I am not sure if this is seen as reasonable considering the visa fee is i think is 1530, so i guess you could almost try it twice yourself for that price. We are thinking about doing it ourselves I think as we do not really know these agencies or have recommendations. The problem is finding a guide to the process and documents that need to be supplied and links to the application forms. Any guidance is much appreciated. Cheers. Nick

Old Hand มือเก่า

Most agents are scammers, they are just like most politicians. They lie and they only want your hard working money.
    If I was you, try and do the form yourself. If you get stuck, then most of us will give you a honest answer.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nickj1000 View Post
    Hi there everybody. Thanks very much for your comments, very helpful, good members on this forum for sure. I had an offer of 1000 from a london agency, I am not sure if this is seen as reasonable considering the visa fee is i think is 1530, so i guess you could almost try it twice yourself for that price. We are thinking about doing it ourselves I think as we do not really know these agencies or have recommendations. The problem is finding a guide to the process and documents that need to be supplied and links to the application forms. Any guidance is much appreciated. Cheers. Nick
    I really urge you to do it yourself. If you insist on using an agent make sure they are OISC accredited. I think they have to be to offer visa advice etc in the UK. The process is so much easier than it was before as everything is digital. The Settlement visa system is different now from when I prepared everything for my wife back in 2016, but the fundamentals are the same. You don't need a reason to return for a Settlement visa.

If the new system is similar to FLR, as you complete the application you will get a list or requirements and items you need to supply. Somebody who has done it recently will no doubt chip in with the most up to date info.

Here is what I supplied back then. I am self employed so your requirements will be different of you are not. I don't think that photos are required any more either.

The applicant - PaKa
    A photocopy of PaKa’s Thai ID card & an English translation
    A photocopy of PaKa’s Thai passport & visa pages
    One up to date passport photo of PaKa
    A copy of PaKa’s divorce papers & an English translation
    Name change certificate & translation.
    Proof of her permanent address & an English translation.
    Up to date TB certificate
    CEFR A1 language certificate - UER TCL/0806
    A letter from Linda C congratulating PaKa on our engagement.
    Appendix 2 (VAF 4A)

Sponsor information
    An index to the content in this application
    Sponsor’s letter of introduction
    A photocopy of RG’s UK Passport and Thai Visa pages showing four trips to Thailand in 2015.
    A letter from the Council with the original parking permit attached for my address. ......
    A water bill for ....... from Affinity Water.
    An original Council tax bill for 2014 to 2015 for my address. Not the latest. So many of my bills are now online.
    The original documents of the last two annual mortgage statements for my house.
    Photos of the address where we will be living in the UK.
    SA302 accounts document provided by HMRC.
    RG’s latest set of accounts and bank statements.
    VAT returns for the same period.
    A web statement showing £..... of Premium Bonds that I hold with National Savings and Investments.
    Printouts of some Western Union transactions. Many are no longer available on the WU website.

Proof of relationship
    Photos of the two of us from February 2015 to February 2016.
    Printouts of flight bookings showing we have flown together & a hotel booking. We have flown together five times but I now only have access to three previous flights.
    Printouts from booking.com & Expedia hotel bookings for the two of us within Thailand.

Links:
    https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/partner-spouse

Apply:
    https://visas-immigration.service.go...ype/appendixfm

Old Hand มือเก่า

Its all new to me now totally different process,The agent i used helped me get a visit visa and the wife's first settlement visa but i did our own FLM and shall do our own ILR .
    If its all new to you it can be very daunting but lots of help on here by guys who have been through the new process .
    You missed the £1000 for the NHS as well .

Thanks to this forum We have done 3 successful settlement visa applications, 1 holiday visa for the mother in law and another holiday visa for the mrs (years ago). If you stick around on the forum it will save you loads of money and stress over the years to come. People on here are always friendly and willing to help.

Old Hand มือเก่า

I think the OP will be fine already applied for 3 visit visa so settlement is easier as long as the box ticking exercise is complete .

Definitely do it yourself. The settlement visa, I found a lot easier than the VV.

Member สมาชิก

Thanks so much for all of this!

Member สมาชิก

We have weighed things up and decided to do it ourselves April next year. I am sure we will asking advice again on the forum. Cheers and thank you

Anything you need to know, ask away.

Member สมาชิก

Thanks, we will for sure ..