Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

RSS Feed Army veteran killed by single punch in Thailand

Mike Jones-Mathias died 10 months after he was punched after being accused of not paying a bar bill.

Read full article ...

(This post was generated automatically by Thailand-UK.com from the BBC News Asia RSS Feed)

This is a terrible thing to happen. Unfortunately it is only the latest in the string of deaths in Thailand. Having read through the comments section on the daily mail article, people are really annoyed about the not guilty ruling for the assailant in Thailand. Theyre saying they will warn people never to go to the country over this.

I dont want to appear callous here but does his doting wife back in the UK know what a gogo bar is?

Such a shame, who knows what actually happened there are lots of potential scenarios and it was just blamed on an unpaid bill?? Golden rule is never mess with locals you'll always lose and it's not worth it... I know from experience! I really feel for his family such a waste... RIP
    Grahame
    เกรแฮม

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by walshie View Post
    This is a terrible thing to happen. Unfortunately it is only the latest in the string of deaths in Thailand. Having read through the comments section on the daily mail article, people are really annoyed about the not guilty ruling for the assailant in Thailand. Theyre saying they will warn people never to go to the country over this.

I dont want to appear callous here but does his doting wife back in the UK know what a gogo bar is?
    She probably does not know !
    Maybe from a little village and does not get out much ie take kids school I did not know what one was till the age of 35 .
    Plus being on walking st opposite were normally the tourist police are i think alcohol and refusal to pay could have been a influence .
    We will not know.
    Always keep your wits about you .

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Quote Originally Posted by Grahame View Post
    Golden rule is never mess with locals you'll always lose and it's not worth it...
    True, never draw unwanted attention, you could say, he should of known better.

Apparently this guy wrote a book titled. "Stay Low, Move Fast, Trust No One"
    This is not your normal D-I-Y Manual. But if you want to know what goes into setting up your own private armed security company in a hostile environment, this is one to read. Stay Low, Move Fast, Trust No One follows the inception and setting up of Securiforce International, an actual account of what it takes to set up from scratch your own security company in the aftermath of the 2003 liberation of Iraq and the struggle both commercially and operationally to make it work.

Whenever people ask me about visiting Thailand I will always say the #1 rule is do not cause anyone to lose face. I am convinced a lot of these altercations/deaths are caused by arrogant or drunken exchanges with the wrong people.

Totally agree with you Walshie, unfortunately some of the best of us turn into morons when we have had too much alcohol....
    Grahame
    เกรแฮม

Old Hand มือเก่า

Yes and no....Go and look at that unprovoked attack on the family in Hua Hin a few years ago and see what 'drunken Thais' can do also. I've been abused verbally by groups of Thai men when they pluck up the minerals to say something once they're in a pack.

I'm not saying foreigners don't cause trouble, of course they do, but in reality the Thais are no angels.

Old Hand มือเก่า

i once got into a argument with a motor taxi driver who clearly tried to take the proverbial with his quote and fees which i responded with a very negative comment which he took a not liking to and wanted a kick boxing fight in the street in front of the 6 other taxi drivers .lucky my wife was with me and calmed the situation down

PS did not get my ass kicked
    But he did not like losing face in front of his mates yet it was ok to degrade me with his silly fees one on one on saddelworth moor only one person walking off and it would not have been a Thai .
    saying that he would have kept his silly price to himself being alone .

Saddleworth Moor …. Maybe... But I am telling you if you kick off with a Thai National they will appear from everywhere to join in and you'll be in hospital (if you're lucky!)

Don't think about going to the Police either!! They do nothing!! In fact if you then kick off with them for their lack of response YOU end up in a cell!

Moral of the story... have thick skin, turn your cheek and walk away!
    Grahame
    เกรแฮม

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Quote Originally Posted by Samsung View Post
    i once got into a argument with a motor taxi driver who clearly tried to take the proverbial with his quote and fees which i responded with a very negative comment which he took a not liking to and wanted a kick boxing fight in the street in front of the 6 other taxi drivers .lucky my wife was with me and calmed the situation down
    A polite, no thank you and walkaway, works wonders for us.