Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  42
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ray8472 View Post
    I think you have this fundamentally wrong. The NHS surcharge is for future care, not a backlog payment.
    No, not for future care, it’s for immediate and continuing access to care. Those arriving on long-term visas are entitled to use the NHS (free at the point of delivery) the very second their feet his UK soil.

Think of it this way, a typical 35 year old British citizen will have been paying in to the system for 20 years plus. That could amount to tax/NI contributions in the tens of thousands of pounds. During that period it is possible they may not have visited a hospital or GP at all during that period, but they don’t get a tax break for not using the service their taxes have helped fund.
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

You are both right it is for current and future care so someone who starts paying NI within 3 months of coming here is double paying. According to you Tobias. Whether or not they access the NHS. Likewise there partner might have been paying for them for the last 20 plus years using your argument.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Carl View Post
    You are both right it is for current and future care so someone who starts paying NI within 3 months of coming here is double paying. According to you Tobias. Whether or not they access the NHS. Likewise there partner might have been paying for them for the last 20 plus years using your argument.
    That is a non-sequitur. They are not double paying, how can they be? They have not paid anything in to the system unlike the 35 year old I mentioned who has been contributing to the service for what could be 20 years plus.

Unlike the 35 year old, those who are subject to the NHS surcharge have made no prior contributions to the UK economy, they have made no contribution to the NHS purse. Why should they be entitled to free at the point of service NHS care if they have not made any contribution to it? Why should the UK taxpayer subsidise an immigrant's access to the NHS?

We wouldn't get free treatment in Thailand, we wouldn't get free treatment in the USA, we wouldn't get free treatment in ... ... so why should those who chose to live in the UK be treated any differently than we would be treated if we chose to live in another country?

A resident partner's contributions are irrelevant, they do not cover an immigrant partner's lack of contribution.
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.

Forum Antiquity ของโบราณ bifftastic's Avatar

If it were a 'modest annual contribution' then it would be hard to suggest that it was ideologically designed to prevent those with lower incomes from joining their families here in the UK.
    However, on a 30 month visa the charge is payable upfront, and rounded up to cover an extra 6 months (It's a full three year surcharge) which represents real financial hardship for many.
    I agree that £600+ per year isn't an unreasonable amount to pay for NHS services. If we could pay it on a yearly basis, that would be fine. I know that we will struggle to find a lump sum of almost £2,000 added to the cost of my wife's next visa application, and given the recent increases it will most likely be significantly more than that.
    "You're so unapproachable!"
    "And yet, here you are."

Forum Antiquity ของโบราณ bifftastic's Avatar

Or even adjust mine or my wife's tax code and take it off us every month.
    "You're so unapproachable!"
    "And yet, here you are."

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by bifftastic View Post
    f we could pay it on a yearly basis, that would be fine. I know that we will struggle to find a lump sum of almost £2,000 added to the cost of my wife's next visa application, and given the recent increases it will most likely be significantly more than that.
    I agree. The way I look at it, how would someone feel if the government froze the minimum wage for 5 years, yet increased income tax and vat regularly during that period?

There has been no increase to the minimum income threshold since it was first introduced in 2012, yet they have introduced the NHS surcharge and increasd visa fee's regularly. I think it's fair to say that anyone who is currently on that income would fall into financial hardship if they were contemplating bringing their loved one to the UK, especially if you have a mortgage or rent to pay, I know I would.

If visa fee's stayed at the level prior to the NHS surcharge first being introduced, then it would be more widely accepted but that has not been the case, ILR has gone up £889 during that period.

When I first brought my Mrs and her son to the UK in 2002 I did not have to pay a NHS surcharge, there was none. If there was a surcharge back then, I would of happily paid it. However, when I was paying for visa's and ILR back then I was paying 3 figure sums not large 4 figure sums that is required nowadays.
    Last edited by Greg / Pairin; 2nd May 2020 at 10:03.