Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Citizenship

Rookie มือใหม่

Default Citizenship

Hi
    im brand new to this, so hope I make sense. My thai wife of ten years now wants to apply for citizenship and eventually a UK passport. She she has had an ILR card for eight years, but I'm very confused on application form regarding requirements, e.g. Life in U.K. Test, which she has not passed, and other requirements. Can anybody give advice or point me to who I should contact.
    Thanks in advance.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ toddmeister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi the below link is a good place to start. Your wife will need to pass the LITUK test and meet the B1 English language requirement

https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship...eave-to-remain

Old Hand มือเก่า

i just read this bit at the bottom of the page Toddmeister
    how many times do they want this info ?
    You must also pay £19.20 to have your biometric information (fingerprints and a photo) taken. You’ll be told how to do this after you’ve applied.

Rookie มือใหม่

Default Info

Hi
    thanks for replies so far, the part I don't get is the fact we were told at the qualification she achieved at the time in 2012 (ESOL LEVEL 6) from the SQA was good enough. It appeared this was tha case as she got her biometrics done and her ILR card. would I be better at the moment just to renew the card, or does she have to start again?

Blog Entries

That qualification may have been enough at that time for her ILR. But as far as I'm aware, a LITUK pass has always been a requirement for citizenship. Unfortunately the rules and requirements do change. My wife only achieved ILR a few months ago. We've applied for citizenship straight away to avoid any changes and higher application fees in the future.

Its down to what she wants. If there is no big advantage to her obtaining citizenship then there is no reason why she can't just stick with ILR. If she wants citizenship then she will have to pass LITUK and the English test. The rest of the application is pretty straightforward. It's just a case of meeting the requirements of time spent outside the country, having two appropriate referees etc

Quote Originally Posted by Rjlbt View Post
    Hi
    thanks for replies so far, the part I don't get is the fact we were told at the qualification she achieved at the time in 2012 (ESOL LEVEL 6) from the SQA was good enough. It appeared this was tha case as she got her biometrics done and her ILR card. would I be better at the moment just to renew the card, or does she have to start again?
    She would need LITUK pass for citizenship, but if she has ESOL level 6 SQA, im sure thats C1 which is higher than required, I would double check that out as there would be no need to achieve a B1, IE my Mrs was equivalent to level 7 and never required any type of English tests for FLR, ILR or citizenship, but that was quite a while ago, things change hence double check, I would find it highly unlikely she would need a B1.
    Good Luck.
    bangkok mags

Blog Entries

Sisaket I've only looked at this briefly but I think you can only use an old ESOL qualification if its still on the current list which I'm not sure it is. The way I read it, if the old qualification is not on the list she would require a new B1 test......

https://www.gov.uk/english-language/...qualifications

https://assets.publishing.service.go...uage_tests.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by toddmeister View Post
    Sisaket I've only looked at this briefly but I think you can only use an old ESOL qualification if its still on the current list which I'm not sure it is. The way I read it, if the old qualification is not on the list she would require a new B1 test......

https://www.gov.uk/english-language/...qualifications

https://assets.publishing.service.go...uage_tests.pdf
    Cheers
    You may well be correct, hence double check my Mrs has a M.A in English (from TH) she just used that, she did a couple of IELTS tests in the UK (not for immigration purposes) their only valid for two years.
    You would think by now they would have a set structure IE tests that dont change every couple of years IE this lady achieved a C1 and may now need a B1, but it would not be in the UK GOV or Exam boards ,or testing centres interests (Cha-chingggg).
    bangkok mags

Old Hand มือเก่า

I just can not see why they want Bio metrics again that would the 4th time with someone doing the 5 year route at £20 a pop plus photos joke if you ask me surely its all on file and a simple scan m/c at post office when you apply money making scheme me thinks .

Rookie มือใหม่

Hi,
    thanks for info, I'm beginning to think the whole thing is a money making scheme, after the amount I spent in the first place to get ILR.

Quote Originally Posted by Samsung View Post
    I just can not see why they want Bio metrics again that would the 4th time with someone doing the 5 year route at £20 a pop plus photos joke if you ask me surely its all on file and a simple scan m/c at post office when you apply money making scheme me thinks .
    It's to make sure it's the same person applying each time.

Old Hand มือเก่า

immigration officers have these hand held machines ,surely its easy to send a code to your email go to so so post office stick your hand on the machine there you go and it does not cost £20 a pop .
    Reminds me when i changed address on my car insurance once thank you £25 for putting in a postcode and clicking a number .
    so they already have the data just a confirmation its you . £20 thank you .

Blog Entries

surely its easy to send a code to your email go to so so post office stick your hand on the machine there you go
    That's effectively what they do, except most of the centres seem to be public libraries instead of the Post Office. Its done at the same time as the UKVCAS documents appointment so to me it should be included in the Sopra Seria appointment charge. To me it should only be a chargeable if you're attending a Core centre appointment which if free