Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: What we you do

Member สมาชิก

Default What we you do

Hi all and a merry christmas and happy new year.
    My Gf of 4 years lives in Laos I've visited her 10 times in the 4 years and she has been to the uk to see me twice. Marriage in laos is complicated and neither of us have been married before so it doesn't rank highly on our to do list atm. I'm self employed with 18k in savings and a 9k a year profit. This is a small amount but I have full custody of my 2 children and have to work around them and holidaying in to means either they come along or stay with family to alow me to get away for 8 - 10 days.
    My gf has around 18k in savings.
    I'd like her to stay longer than her previous 8 week breaks just to see how things pan out.

Easy for me to blab on but think this is enough info for you to get the jest of things.

We will be paying for another visit visa in march and this will be our third but further ahead what would your advice be ?

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ prikphet's Avatar

If I was too do it all again, I'd try and live with my G/F for a longer time before Marriage - really get to know them and decide is this really what you want and is this really the real her and is this what she really wants.

I think you can get about 6 months on a Visit Visa (although they recommend only staying for 8 weeks), however use the full time and remember at the end of the day if it all goes wrong she could walk away with half of everything you own !

I'm still married, but we've had a couple of wobbles as with most marriages and only then you get the perspective of what you've opened yourself up too.

Probably not much help but just my thoughts....

Member สมาชิก

Hi Prikphet and thanks for your reply.
    Having assets to loose is just as bad as having nothing to loose lol.
    If I had a magic wand I'd have a 2 year visit visa to allow her to be in the country 6 months in 12, she could do 3 visits per year for 6 weeks and we would both be happy.
    Has anybody on the forum had a 2 year multi entry visit visa ?

Yes. I only met my GF in late January 2015 and she applied for her first visit visa in May 2015. It was successful and she arrived on 1st July for a month and she stayed until mid October. She then applied for a two year visit visa and to come here for Christmas and it was successful. No problems at all. We decided that a visit visa was too restricting for us and we went for a Settlement visa in Feb 2016 and married in the UK in June 2016.

It sounds as if it might work for you and as she has had visit visas before, there should be no difficulty.

Member สมาชิก

Hi Rasg thanks for the reply, it's really encouraging to hear.
    Did they require the same amount of information for the 6 month visa when you applied for the 2 year or were there other hoops to jump through ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dippychippy View Post
    Hi Rasg thanks for the reply, it's really encouraging to hear.
    Did they require the same amount of information for the 6 month visa when you applied for the 2 year or were there other hoops to jump through ?
    I would certainly mention the following in the application, to ensure the ECO realises you understand the restraints of visa:

Quote Originally Posted by Dippychippy View Post
    ... If I had a magic wand I'd have a 2 year visit visa to allow her to be in the country 6 months in 12, she could do 3 visits per year for 6 weeks and we would both be happy...
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.

Member สมาชิก

Thankyou Tobias
    I think i'll pop out late march and try for our 3rd visit visa and subject to that being successful I'll apply for a 2 year visit visa later in the year..
    With my children and Gf together in the UK there is so much more we can experience compared to the 9 days I'm in Thailand.
    I'm not only jet lagged for the first few days but there is also the fatigue from having to tie up all the loose ends work wise and the worry of the children, pets house ect while I'm away.
    I get back home from the visa app in Bangkok and the few days sat on the beach and it's a blur and hardly a holiday as such.
    Definitely prefer the GF being in the UK and spending the time as a family unit with vehicles; accommodation and the luxury of time and my own bed ect ect
    It's just the case that both myself and the GF are happy to not live in each other's pockets and have family and business commitments that require us to be a few thousand miles apart for a large portion of the year.
    Strange for some to understand but makes perfect sense to us : )

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Hi Dippychippy
    I've had a 2 year visit visa for my girlfriend.
    I just gave the same evidence etc for the 6 month visa but wrote in the covering letter why she would need recurring visits and made clear that she wouldn't be staying any more than 6 months in any one year.
    In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday