Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

RSS Feed Thailand's disappeared Karen activist Billy and the burned village

A young activist went out to work and was never seen again. It would take five years of fighting to find out what happened.

Read full article ...

(This post was generated automatically by Thailand-UK.com from the BBC News Asia RSS Feed)

Old Hand มือเก่า

"We Karens respect nature as our God. We worship a water God, a forest God and every living thing in the forest. Our farming technique is environmentally friendly. And we grow things we can consume all year round.
    "We catch fish in the river, we catch small animals in the forest and we grow rotation crops. We grow rice to sell and the women weave clothes to sell."

Sounds like the self-sufficiency economy that the King tried to get other Thais to follow.

There's a radio documentary today about this subject. It will interesting to see what happens.

It's so glaringly obvious how racist Thailand can be. When they need cheap labor to do the jobs the average Thai won't do they begrudgingly welcome the Cambodians and Burmese. At the same time they afford them no rights whatsoever. In cases like these Thailand exposes itself for the ignorant, childish beast that it is.

I agree and I feel the media generally are starting to take a closer look at Thailand as well. I think it has always got off relatively lightly, but maybe those days are over?
    'Tis me

Quote Originally Posted by caller View Post
    I agree and I feel the media generally are starting to take a closer look at Thailand as well. I think it has always got off relatively lightly, but maybe those days are over?
    International media certainly seem to be painting Thailand in an increasingly negative light. Rightly so to be honest. I think the image of an idyllic Phuket honeymoon/family holiday is now being overshadowed by all the mysterious (obviously maffia related) deaths/attacks/disappearances, torturous elephant sanctuaries, doped tigers/monkeys and the rampant prostitution problems.

stories like this one just serve to highlight the confusing and illogical methods used to assert dominance by the so called 'Hi-so's"

Old Hand มือเก่า

Agree totally Walshie. I think more so since the muppet in charge took the ropes.

However, the response will be toys out of pram and banning reporters etc... They don't take stock of what they do neither will they learn from it. It wouldn't surprise me if they read the report and went and wiped out more just out of spite.

The only thing that will ever stop their behaviour is for a country such as England or America to publicly denounce the regime and warn against the dangers of traveling or doing business there. Money out of the pockets will get businesses and so on up in arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnet View Post
    The only thing that will ever stop their behaviour is for a country such as England or America to publicly denounce the regime and warn against the dangers of traveling or doing business there. Money out of the pockets will get businesses and so on up in arms.
    That's already happening, plus a worsening political situation and the two combined will make for a rocky road this year, not helped by the new army chief going around warning all and sundry not to rock the boat.
    'Tis me