Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Old Hand มือเก่า

Default Plastic Bag Issue

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...f-plastic-bags

'The minister said Thais were good at adapting and would find alternatives to plastic bags. He praised people who showed initiative and took their own containers with them when shopping.'

Is this true? I've yet to see this happening in Thailand. As for adaptation, I can't think of any nation so against change of any kind. The only way to stop this is buy charging for bags and hefty charges, not a few pence that won't affect your living.

I live in China and they are doing their best to stop the bag invasion but whilst the supermarket chains are charging the local shops, markets, online retailers etc are ripping it to pieces. There is also a separate law to the big food companies who package sweets and cakes in three layers before you get to the food itself.

I'd like to see the companies that produce packaging harmful to the environment completely shut down. I'm certain people would find alternatives to carrying things if faced with nothing.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Lonerider's Avatar
    Yorkshireman divided between Chum Phae & Iraq

Ohm went to Tesco Lotus in Chum Phae yesterday and they were not giving plastic bags...in fact they didn't give any kind of bag..not even paper. So long may it continue, although IMO there is nothing wrong with giving paperbags

From 1st Jan my local 7/11 has stopped issuing plastic bags, need to take own bags, when I go to my local Vax Value I always take a back-pack for the items and have done for sometime (IE not to use their plastic bags). We went to the Royal Thai Navy Turtle Conservation Center (Sattahip Naval Base) a couple of years ago, I chatted with a Vet, who told me Turtles cannot distinguish between their food and plastic in the oceans, thus try to eat plastic and get sick. I read the following a while back: https://www.earthday.org/fact-sheet-...-in-the-ocean/ : the prediction of 2050 is alarming.
    bangkok mags

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ N Barton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barnet View Post
    The only way to stop this is buy charging for bags and hefty charges, not a few pence that won't affect your living.
    When a charge was first introduced in the UK I believe it was 10p a bag. Not sure what the impact was but I know I had a cupboard full of 10p bags. Now, at Morrisons, the charge is 30p per bag so I will be more sure to take bags with me. I do however feel that the only way to stop the amount of bags is to do exactly as Thailand are doing i.e. don't supply them.
    I don't believe that the plastic issue has been taken serious enough by the big companies and they need a massive kick up the arse. In November 2019 I, with a colleague, attended the annual "Supplier Review Meeting" of a large Supermarket. Part of the session was to discuss how the use of plastic could be reduced in the retail industry. On returning to the office next day I dug out the minutes from the 2013 meeting, part of which was to discuss how the use of plastic could be reduced in the retail industry. Six years later they had implemented absolutely nothing !!
    We'll never win the Premier League,
    We'll never win a Cup,
    We'll still follow UNITED !!

At least there has been some changes. 7/11 used to be shocking with their bags. They would bag every drink you bought individually and stick 4-5 straws in each bag then bag the bagged drinks (which are ususally in plastic bottles)!
    I feel that the whole 'bring your own container' movement has previously been branded a bit of a hipster thing to do. I think opinions are changing because of all the dead sea cretures washing up full of bin bags and coke bottles.

On another note, my wife and I have been to Koh Samet 3 or 4 times in the last 7 years. We went again about 18 months ago and the state of the beaches shocked us both. The sheer volume of plastic waste that had washed up was unbelievable. There was a 3 meter swathe of plastic which had washed up. I wish I had the photo on this phone to upload.
    Sadly though I think the only reason my wife doesnt buy the bags is because theyre 10p each. Not because of the environmental hell storm we will experience in 10 years if we continue!

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Quote Originally Posted by walshie View Post
    I think opinions are changing because of all the dead sea cretures washing up full of bin bags and coke bottles.

On another note, my wife and I have been to Koh Samet 3 or 4 times in the last 7 years. We went again about 18 months ago and the state of the beaches shocked us both. The sheer volume of plastic waste that had washed up was unbelievable. There was a 3 meter swathe of plastic which had washed up. I wish I had the photo on this phone to upload.
    Sadly though I think the only reason my wife doesnt buy the bags is because theyre 10p each. Not because of the environmental hell storm we will experience in 10 years if we continue!
    But why is all this plastic and debris getting into the ocean?

I have always been against the amount of plastic bags and straws you get at 7/11, but is it actually their fault it ends up on the beach.

I went to Railay beach a couple of years back, In general the beach was lovely. Yet if you had a walk later in the day, especially where people had been sitting in the shade, the rubbish was in abundance. As tourist number's increase, so will the rubbish.
    It really doesn't matter how much they charge for a plastic bag, its changing how we dispose of these plastic's that needs addressing.

Our parish council organised a beach clean only 6 weeks ago, the vast amount of rubbish that was collected wasn't washed up, it was dumped/left. In fact, every meeting I attend, litter and fly tipping is always the main agenda. Yet all we here is finger pointing and blame, not solutions.

In our local town, a harbour town, there is an issue with rubbish. Lack of bins and not emptied regularly enough are 2 of the main cause's for the litter, especially when you see the gulls swarming around them. Yet the mayor and council blame it on government cuts and the fast food outlets.
    Last edited by Greg / Pairin; 4th Jan 2020 at 15:34.

One thing I do like is that if you do as I did the other day, and went to VM after being out and about, using BTS and taxi, hence not having one of God knows how many shopping bags we have, with me, you can buy a decent sized re-usable bag for 5 baht (TOPS charge 3 baht for similar).

But I had a great experience the other day, well sort of. I met the Government minister responsible for the Environment as he was doing his rounds of the stores handing out free shopping bags. Here's a little report I put up on FB - I was asked why I wasn't smiling? I replied, for what, having my lunch disturbed? For being given a plastic bag - lol:

So there we were, Pam and I, enjoying a quiet late lunch at Central Chit Lom - when a whirlwind descended upon us - a security and media scrum, both TV and press, following around the Senior Thai Government minister with responsibility for the environment, on the day the stores stop issuing single use plastic bags. No sooner had I said, 'I hope he doesn't disturb our lunch', when he's at my side doing just that, grinning his grin for the media whilst whispering sweet nothing's in my ear and handing me a ministry embossed, erm, plastic shopping bag! Pam has been on to friends and family telling them to look out for me on the telly - lol!
    82282298_10157336331872098_56329990735659008_n.jpg

'Tis me

Old Hand มือเก่า

Hhhhhh........That would've been my response too. A few years back on Thai Father's Day, we were sat as a family in MK when the local Mayor walks in with his motley crew. He was nothing to me other than another rich, corrupt, pretentious little ogre. Exactly the same as above...whispering, grinning blah blah blah and then the photo. Can you smile? Please, smile... Negative..

Is there a thai word for irony I wonder...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg / Pairin
    But why is all this plastic and debris getting into the ocean?

Just seen this on Imgur

LzEd9bu.jpg

Last edited by -Keith-; 6th Jan 2020 at 14:44.
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Essex boys's Avatar

When i go shopping I take a few 'bags for life' with me ( i brought them over from the uk) me and the gf pack our shopping in them without any plastic bags, the girls on the tills look at us like we are daft , although I did see a sign in khon kaen Tesco lotus that they were not issuing plastic bags on a Wednesday, they really do need to control use of plastic on beaches so as it doesn't find its way into the sea...

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Quote Originally Posted by Barnet View Post
    I live in China and they are doing their best to stop the bag invasion but whilst the supermarket chains are charging the local shops, markets, online retailers etc are ripping it to pieces. There is also a separate law to the big food companies who package sweets and cakes in three layers before you get to the food itself.
    They have also imposed bans on imports of most waste plastic's and other materials. Other Asian countries are now cracking down on imports of waste material due to the spike in waste being imported.

We can't really have a pop at the far east for all the plastic waste, when the west has been using them as a dumping site.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...and-corruption

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...tainers-to-u-k

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-48444874

Old Hand มือเก่า

I'm not criticizing any part of the world, nor comparing it to the west. Where do I state that? I'm merely pointing out the comparison between Thailand (the news story focus) and the country I live in, which is China.

Yes, it's quite a nonsense the amount of publicity Jan 1 got, when even today, 7/11 are still dishing out plastic bags and when you want to buy anything 'loose' in somewhere like Big C, plastic bags are all that is provided and in the 'posher' stores everything is still pre-packed in plastic. Have I mentioned my stand in Gourmet Market to be allowed to buy a single cucumber rather than the traditional pre-packed two?
    'Tis me

Old Hand มือเก่า

Despite all our gripes with the suppliers of bags, mine more so, the bottom line is that people themselves should behave more responsibly. It doesn't take a genius to figure out the need for a bag. Likewise, those that claim to love their country so much do their utmost to pollute it with rubbish.

Like so many, many things we find frustrating, the root of the problem is pure and simple laziness.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

I was moaning about Thai over-use of plastic bags over 10 years ago. You had to fight 7/11, Tesco and Carrefour staff not to triple bag everything. My wife was in shock when we went to Hong Kong and discovered they didn't give you plastic bags. I can't imagine the cold turkey in Thailand now...

Suddenly everyone's turned green, many so fanatically that it's almost a replacement for religion. It's a screen for anti-capitalism among quite a few who seem to think that we go back to the stone age. Why is Thunberg getting awards for this kind of attitude when there are scientists inventing bacteria that eat plastic getting little recognition? That's where the solutions will come from - technology.