Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Old Hand มือเก่า

Default Mystery virus [coronavirus] emerging in China - 2 cases reported in Thailand

I notice that 2 of of the cases have been found in Thailand there is an article somewhere about Thai immigration detaining a Chinese tourist at the airport regarding this somewhere on the news.
    Now i am no rocket scientist or doctor but having just been Ill in Thailand and the treatment a very strong antibiotic which when i showed my Dr in the UK he frowned now on past experience getting these type of medicines from a UK Dr is like trying to get blood out of a stone i wonder if the general misuse of antibiotics in south east Asia has anything to do with the spread of these type of virus .

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51148303
    Last edited by Tobias; 18th Jan 2020 at 18:26. Reason: Changed topic title to identify subject

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ N Barton's Avatar

Unfortunately it's not a South East Asia thing, misuse of antibiotics is massive in the UK and I am sure it will be the same story World wide. Go to any European holiday destination and you can buy them over the counter just as easy as in Thailand, and these are absolutely flooding into UK. There has recently been a Nationwide radio campaign trying to discourage the use of non prescribed antibiotics, but methinks people will just ignore.
    My son has a degree in bio-chemistry and has drummed it into us about viruses developing themselves to become immune to antibiotics, hence the reason you should only take prescribed drugs
    We'll never win the Premier League,
    We'll never win a Cup,
    We'll still follow UNITED !!

My son has a degree in bio-chemistry and has drummed it into us about viruses developing themselves to become immune to antibiotics, hence the reason you should only take prescribed drugs
    Viruses are not affected by antibiotics period never have been ???

Bacteria are evolving to become immune and if it continues we will be in deep do-do as infection control in surgery will become really problematic , I have had 2 operations in the past 2 months hip replacement followed by a second hip revision 3 weeks ago having fallen and broken the femur just before christmas both times given intravenous antibiotics.
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

There seems to be some confusion. Viruses are not the same as bacteria.

Bacteria are single cell organisms whereas viruses are essentially packets of various protein structures. Viruses rely upon a living host to reproduce which they do by reprogramming ("highjacking") the host's cells, e.g. common cold virus, avian flu virus, chickenpox, HIV, to turn them into virus factories. The best way to deal with viral infections is either through immunity (e.g. through vaccination) or through anti-viral drugs to disrupt them. Antibiotics are never used to treat viral infections (although they might subsequently be needed to treat opportunistic secondary bacterial infections).

Antibiotics are used to treat bacterial infections. It is the misuse of antibiotics which has led to antibiotic resistance - it's a form of natural selection and the disease causing bacteria, e.g. MDR TB and MRSA, are winning.

(By the way, I'm a Chartered Biologist)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ N Barton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ash View Post
    Viruses are not affected by antibiotics period never have been ???.
    That's why I am a sign maker and not a chemist, shoot me down for mis-quoting my son !!

What doesn't change is that people, lots of them, bring over the counter anti-biotics back from the likes of Spain. Greece. Thailand and take them for whatever ailment they might have, whether it be viral or bacterial.
    We'll never win the Premier League,
    We'll never win a Cup,
    We'll still follow UNITED !!

Antibiotics kill the good bacteria as well as the bad, which hinders our bodies natural defences.

There is an article in a magazine this week stating: The human body is 57% microbes and other non human organisms.

Human Microbiome:

Humans are colonized by many microorganisms; the traditional estimate is that the average human body is inhabited by ten times as many non-human cells as human cells, but more recent estimates have lowered that ratio to 3:1 or even to approximately the same number. Some microorganisms that colonize humans are commensal, meaning they co-exist without harming humans; others have a mutalistic relationship with their human hosts
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_microbiome
    The clock on the wall reads a quarter past midnight

Old Hand มือเก่า

I have learned a few things there ,,.
    So the influx of these medicines in the UK means there is a market for them like i said in the original post try getting them out of my doctor is like trying to get blood out of a stone .where in other country's its a simple trip to the pharmacist.
    The drip with the cocktail of who knows what and the tablets i had seem to have worked a treat with my chest infection even thore the DR back in the UK rolled his eyes when i showed him what i had been prescribed .

Old Hand มือเก่า

Im just thinking back to what was the first thing that greeted me on my recent arrival in Thailand a TOILET or worse than a toilet that disgusting finger print reader at immigration well done Thailand lets put health and safety first .shocking they are using them with no cleaning solution unless they cleaned themselves i was not impressed with the guy with his finger up his nose then putting it the scanner .

Rookie มือใหม่

Just looking at the date this thread was first posted...a whole month after china first knew about this outbreak of this strain. It just beggers belief on the way they try to keep things internal whilst there has been 3 direct flights a week to Heathrow from the city where the outbreak started.

Old Hand มือเก่า

The virus originated from an animal in a street market in Hubei, probably a snake which in turn ate a bat and in turn lined some old girl's Sunday lunch. Many Chinese people still live as farmers, growing their own crops and eating most things that move. Add to that the unsanitary way in which they live, spitting everywhere, not washing their hands in public toilets, coughing and sneezing constantly but never covering their mouths. This is not an anti-Chinese rant rather the experience of someone who has lived and worked there for two years.

The Govt wanted to keep it quiet so people didn't flee and take the virus with them. Since the news broke, from Thailand I believe, that's exactly what's occurred. Hubei is a ghost province and the virus is all over the world.

My school are trying to get us back on the 14th Feb but I shall not be moving until the all-clear is given.

Quote Originally Posted by Samsung View Post
    I have learned a few things there ,,.
    So the influx of these medicines in the UK means there is a market for them like i said in the original post try getting them out of my doctor is like trying to get blood out of a stone .where in other country's its a simple trip to the pharmacist.
    The drip with the cocktail of who knows what and the tablets i had seem to have worked a treat with my chest infection even thore the DR back in the UK rolled his eyes when i showed him what i had been prescribed .

The reason UK doctors don't dish out antibiotics is that they won’t actually fix your problem if you have a virus. My wife wanted them for a bad cough and cold she had last year and the doctor pointed this out. When it comes to all the Hacks lozenges and Beechams lemons, Night Nurse etc they don't actually do anything to get rid of the problem. Only make you feel a bit better or sleep better until the virus has run its course. Honey and lemon is just as effective along with a painkiller like paracetamol.

Old Hand มือเก่า

i wonder if them fingerprint scanners have been binned off at swampy now .

Member สมาชิก

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...us-in-thailand

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...ronavirus.html

oops.... sorry if I've posted this wrongly. Mods free free to move it.

Regards
    Last edited by Nealy; 5th Feb 2020 at 14:37.

Premium Member

I believe the Thai Drs used retroviral drugs used to HIV treatments and Tamiflu an antiviral treatment.

China also now has an outbreak of H5N1 bird flu which can spread to humans https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ens-China.html

Quote Originally Posted by stevie57 View Post

China also now has an outbreak of H5N1 bird flu which can spread to humans https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ens-China.html
    It's nothing to get in a flap about.
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Old Hand มือเก่า

My advice for anyone travelling to Thailand.
    Take a face mask.
    I've bought three. And I've just found out that screwfix and b and q are running very low.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by te2008 View Post
    My advice for anyone travelling to Thailand.
    Take a face mask...
    But that advice is the opposite to that given by the medical experts, they say masks are of no benefit for casual usage
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Old Hand มือเก่า

By the look of things only the Thais can mess it up in Thailand i do think it is to hot .....for the virus to survive long periods .
    You would have thought it to be a hotbed for it but does not seem that way and for it to jump to S.Korea and Iran and Italy puzzles me ...