Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  93
Likes Likes:  338
Dislikes Dislikes:  6
Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barnet View Post
    All of a sudden the first fatality in Thailand is being twisted towards a victim of Dengue Fever rather than the virus itself....

... but when faced with a potential pandemic transparency and truth is essential. This does not seem to carry either.
    The official response clearly blames the coronavirus for the death, accooding to the Thai Public Health Ministry. Here is an excerpt from the Bangkok Post article I posted above. As you will read, COVID-19 is certainly considered the cause of this patient's death (bolding is mine for emphasis):

"The patient had been hospitalised since Feb 16 at a private hospital and transferred to Bamrasnardura Infectious Diseases Institute and died on Saturday after multiple organ failure.

The Public Health Ministry is still looking into the role played by the coronavirus in the fatality, Dr Suwannachai said.

Tests for the coronavirus came back negative since Feb 16 but “the damage was already done to his body” from the earlier bout of infection by the new disease, said Tawee Chotpitayasunondh, the department adviser."
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    Stay home. Stay alert. Save lives.

By your own admission a mask can protect a carrier from passing on the virus to others.
    Prevent not protect and the used mask is a serious source of infection

I will not wear a mask unless I am visiting a sick person and that mask will be disposed of correctly seriously stupid advice and leads to a false sense of security especially those suggesting buying from B&Q.
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dippychippy View Post
    By your own admission a mask can protect a carrier from passing on the virus to others.
    Yes, a mask can help prevent spreading the virus by catching an infected person's droplets from coughs, sneezes or spittle.

The virus is typically carried to the body via the hands rather then being breathed in, the virus lives on the hands and fingers and then ingested in to the body by touching the area around the eyes, nose or mouth.

Whilst it is certainly possible to ingest droplets from a cough or sneeze, the more likely transmission method is via the hands and a mask is not going to protect you from that because any droplets containing the virus are likely then to be transferred to your hands from the mask when you take it off. Your breath is likely to create the necessary atmosphere to create moisture and thus keep the virus viable for a longer period.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Member สมาชิก

Glad your both well informed

We all need to do our bit

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ N Barton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Barnet View Post
    All of a sudden the first fatality in Thailand is being twisted towards a victim of Dengue Fever rather than the virus itself. The nurse who treated him also came down with the infection shortly after.

Just looking at some of the stats. in 2019 there were around 45,000 Dengue Fever cases resulting in just over 60 deaths. The majority of death is sadly found in children between 5 and 14 years old followed by a minority up to 34. The overwhelming majority are in the North Eastern region and again infants.

Now who am I to claim that a nation hell bent on bringing in the tourist cash at any cost whilst continually shirking responsibility for any fatalities or accidents would be among others trying to play down any links to the virus? Just a thought but when faced with a potential pandemic transparency and truth is essential. This does not seem to carry either.
    Possibly you are reading the wrong newspapers. The official statement made it pretty clear :-
    He admitted himself into a private hospital on 27th January where he was diagnosed with dengue fever
    He was diagnosed positive for covid-19 on Feb 5 and transferred to BIDI
    He was treated with favipiravir and white blood cells from a recovered patient
    He was cleared on covid-19 on Feb 16 but his lungs had suffered a lot of damage
    He died Feb 29

“This is an important example of how the disease can spread in people without symptoms or with small symptoms, and can become a crisis even without underlying diseases,” said Thiravat Hemachudha, the Head of the Centre for Emerging Infectious Diseases Health Science Centre
    We'll never win the Premier League,
    We'll never win a Cup,
    We'll still follow UNITED !!

Member สมาชิก

No youtube, only what the locals here and my girlfriend have told me
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I can see how such a law could have efficacy, do you have a link to this pronouncement/announcement?

With the exception to the (now suspended) flights from Wuhan, I don't think the UK has carried out any coronavirus checks at the UK border. It sort of makes sense as those carrying the virus only show symptoms after several days of incubation. Those displaying symptoms would likely be refused boarding at the originating airport or cabin crew would report their concerns of a passenger showing any symptoms. In that situation the aircraft would be met by the relevant medical team on arrival.
    - - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

I have been corrected. The King has said that this is a serious thing to conceal and because of this the Thai Government say a 20,000 baht fine and maybe jail .
    Quote Originally Posted by nickj1000 View Post
    No youtube, only what the locals here and my girlfriend have told me
    - - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

On the other hand if you get the virus on your hands and you are wearing mask you are less likely to touch your face and transfer it your mouth or nose. When we come home we take off the mask and put it in the machine for cleaning and wash our hands and door handles. It all seems a bit excessive at times and there are conflicting ideas but it is better to be safe than sorry it think

When we come home we take off the mask and put it in the machine for cleaning
    I have no idea, but doesn't that impact on it's effectiveness? I really only wear a mask to protect against pollution and they actually state not for re-use.

Member สมาชิก

Probably does affect it i guess but it is hard to get new ones. Off to a river restaurant tonight and will not be wearing a mask so you have to question a lot of it i guess http://www.baanklangnam2.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by caller View Post
    I have no idea, but doesn't that impact on it's effectiveness? I really only wear a mask to protect against pollution and they actually state not for re-use.

Old Hand มือเก่า

Probably does affect it i guess but it is hard to get new ones. Off to a river restaurant tonight and will not be wearing a mask so you have to question a lot of it i guess
    https://www.latimes.com/science/stor...ash-your-hands

Blog Entries

... On the other hand if you get the virus on your hands and you are wearing mask you are less likely to touch your face and transfer it your mouth or nose. When we come home we take off the mask and put it in the machine for cleaning and wash our hands and door handles. It all seems a bit excessive at times and there are conflicting ideas but it is better to be safe than sorry it think
    The mask might help prevent you from touching your mouth but it won't stop you from manoeuvring the mask on your face, perhaps even picking up traces of the virus from the mask on to your fingers. It will also not prevent you from rubbing your eyes, scratching your nose etc. And what do you do with the mask when you need to eat or drink? Where will you put the mask, might that too help spread any of the virus that might be caught on the mask to other surfaces?
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Masks are like handkerchiefs a great place to store infections that's why tissues are recommended use once bin and then wash hands.
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Old Hand มือเก่า

By the time I've touched everything around me and picked things up looking for the face mask I always lose I probably become a super spreader.

Blog Entries

I appreciate the BBC is not a trusted source of news for some the Populists on the forum, but the following programme was broadcast yesterday on the Beeb. It provides some excellent information and commentary on the current COVID-19 outbreak. Well worth a watch IMHO:

BBC News Special - Coronavirus: Everything You Need to Know
    Tobias - โทเบียส

I saw this last night I agree well worth a watch
    Grahame
    เกรแฮม

I appreciate the BBC is not a trusted source of news for some the Populists on the forum

Several people, over some time, have bought more than a few articles to your attention, and recently there has been much discussion on this subject on many news sites including the opinions from some members of parliament.

'Populism' is often now used as a derogatory term for democracy and disrespecting the will of the people.
    Last edited by marshall; 3rd Mar 2020 at 17:53.
    The clock on the wall reads a quarter past midnight

Blog Entries

Please do not take this very serious and important subject off topic, if you want to discuss politics, Populism or the impartiality or otherwise of the BBC please do so in the Off Topic lounge or breakfast in one of the many other threads that have raised those subjects.

This topic is strictly about coronavirus COVID-19. Any off topic discussion will be deleted.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Just watched through that bbc show. Was interesting to watch. I had no idea you were supposed to wash your hands for that long!
    I actually received a text message from my son’s primary school today summarising some of the same information in the show.

I must be missing something here with all this hysteria about the coronavirus.Flu kills considerably more people.
    Is it just because it's a new virus...and they haven,t found a vaccine for it yet ?
    Find it all totally baffling this media frenzy !?

The NHS declared coronavirus a level 4 incident - its highest level of emergency
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-h...-latest-live1/
    The clock on the wall reads a quarter past midnight

Member สมาชิก

I am no sure that many countries are checking people out the same way they are checking them in for sure. In Thailand they are checking people when they come back ti the condos. They are checking our temperature every day. I accept that the virus can be quiet in your system but at least they can catch the ones that have real signs. I ee yesterday the UK has gone up but Thailand has not. I think it is a lot to do with the heat
    I can see how such a law could have efficacy, do you have a link to this pronouncement/announcement?

With the exception to the (now suspended) flights from Wuhan, I don't think the UK has carried out any coronavirus checks at the UK border. It sort of makes sense as those carrying the virus only show symptoms after several days of incubation. Those displaying symptoms would likely be refused boarding at the originating airport or cabin crew would report their concerns of a passenger showing any symptoms. In that situation the aircraft would be met by the relevant medical team on arrival.