Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  88
Likes Likes:  325
Dislikes Dislikes:  6
Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by te2008 View Post
    I've noticed that Sweden have not closed their borders.
    Well that’s not quite accurate, the British Embassy in Sweden posted this a few days ago:

“All commercial flights between Sweden and UK will be suspended as of the afternoon 9 April. If you normally live in the UK and wish to return, you should arrange your journey home now.”
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    Stay home. Stay alert. Save lives.

Member สมาชิก

Hi Ian and Walshie, hope all is well soon. Cheers

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

I hope the wife is making a good recovery Walshie do your best and keep yourself well too.
    Unfortunately I had Flu whilst teaching in late December with a horrendous cough which caused further problems for me, needed an operation which I am still recovering from, still have a sore throat and a slight cough. It can't really be anything other than flu but I never got checked. Obviously the fever had abated before I had the op. I certainly will not be teaching again as I seem to catch everything and anything the kids have. I doubt if any of the schools will fill their English posts when they re-open. This virus may well have a second wave unless it's eradicated worldwide which won't happen anytime soon. I honestly don't think things will return to normal until summer 2021 or a few months after we have the vaccine if sooner. Obviously I hope it will decrease and most of the restrictions will be lifted long before then.
    I want to visit Europe with the family but I honestly think if we can go before April 2022 we will be lucky. We have to go in April due to schooling here in Thailand. Ironically Italy was my primary destination.

Old Hand มือเก่า
    ต้องการนักแปล

I do hope this is the light at the end of the tunnel
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52182245

Hi gents just a small update from my house;

Ended up at the hospital with my mrs due to chest pains/coughing up blood. The doctor advised its 80% likely she has COVID and told us to strictly maintain isolation for another week or so. She also said that she has only been given permission to test patients who are unable to breathe without a ventilator. They prescribed a load of tablets and she is feeling a bit better today thankfully!

Blog Entries

Good luck with all this walshie, it must be very concerning for you especially so with a young family. It's certainly time for strict isolation for you. Do you have people who can get shopping and essentials for you?
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Member สมาชิก

Hi Walshie .... make sure your mrs sits upright as much as possible both in the day and when shes asleep.
    It will help her breathing.
    Stick with it mate .... my thoughts are with you

...she is feeling a bit better today thankfully!
    Great news, but watch out for "2nd wave", though hopefully it won't come to that.

My eldest down in Brighton has got ill last week with a terrible cough and feeling really ill, she has been doing hot honey, lemon and ginger and this morning the cough was starting to sound and feel a lot better. She will carry on with all the precautions in case of a flair up and will be further isolating.

She started working at the Co-op to help out after her art commission work dried up due to the lockdown, she's already determined to get back there after she gets the all clear. One of the negatives she said though, which really annoys me, is the amount of people that come in for a single pack of fags or small amount of other non-essentials and keep coming back day after day, I didn't think that so many people would be doing that under the current conditions, but looks like very wrong!

She has also been doing some posters and bits and pieces for lockdown, I've recommended when she goes back print a load and give them to all those people to see if that gives them the hint...
    https://www.snub23.com/sprite-stuff
    Bunnies.jpg

Old Hand มือเก่า

"One of the negatives she said though, which really annoys me, is the amount of people that come in for a single pack of fags or small amount of other non-essentials and keep coming back day after day, I didn't think that so many people would be doing that under the current conditions, but looks like very wrong!"

I get you 100% Ian and to me it seems insane also. My dad is 83 and a heavy smoker so it worries and annoys the hell out of me when he says "I popped up to Morrison to get my paper and milk." Having said that, apart from walking his dog that is the only social interaction he has. It's not right but the routine is what keeps him going. He did say that Co-op only allow one customer in at a time and the queues are small because people are bulk shopping in the larger stores. Again, it's not right but there are people who see that visit to the shop as a light in a very dull household.

I'm hoping yourself and Walshie's situation soothes soon.

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by KhunIanB-UK View Post
    One of the negatives she said though, which really annoys me, is the amount of people that come in for a single pack of fags or small amount of other non-essentials and keep coming back day after day, I didn't think that so many people would be doing that under the current conditions, but looks like very wrong!
    I understand what your saying, however, we do not know exactly how every individual is coping.

Just sharing what popped up on my facebook timeline yesterday.

I've seen alot of nasty posts on different forums in regards to people making "non-essential" trips .. Do you ever think maybe that guy buying a gallon of paint knows he must keep busy because idle hands in the past has caused him to relapse and pick up that case of beer ? So he's using this time to do home improvements, something that keeps his mind busy while feeling a sense of accomplishment, trying to avoid painful triggers while possibly alone ? Or maybe that lady buying bags of soil and seeds, has struggled with depression and suicide ? How do you know that planting and watching something beautiful grow during this time of darkness, isn't essential to her and holding on to what little hope she might still have .. We need to remember that it is impossible to know just by looking at a situation from "our" small lens what someone is truly going through or where their mental health is at. Everyone handles chaos and healing through different means, and I know we are all on edge but please stop being so judgmental of others.

The Government said yesterday that people can buy whatever they want from the shops allowed to stay open.
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Everyone handles chaos and healing through different means, and I know we are all on edge but please stop being so judgmental of others.
    Unfortunately in the current circumstances and with the danger that it's causing I am finding that as hard as not being judgmental on shoplifters that may be forced into doing it as they haven't got the money to buy what they are nicking. It's about time those people started thinking about the impact that their actions might be having on others. Especially when others are already trying to do so much for them. Psychological Services are busy as ever here in Coventry and Warwickshire, many retired and volunteers joining the ranks and GPs carry on working over the Easter Bank holiday. I have volunteered for additional work to help with e-Consultations. There are many support lines, even though very busy under the current circumstances.

If you know people in those circumstances then give them a call, especially if you're self isolating and see if you can offer them some assistance or get some advice for them.

https://www.nhs.uk/oneyou/every-mind...mind-plan-quiz

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greg / Pairin View Post
    ... We need to remember that it is impossible to know just by looking at a situation from "our" small lens what someone is truly going through or where their mental health is at. Everyone handles chaos and healing through different means ...
    I have been very concerned about those who suffer from mental health issues, especially those with chronic anxiety, OCD, bipolar, depression. Situations like the craziness we are currently living in can trigger relapses or exacerbate symptoms and fears.

This one particularly hit home:

"Man, 34, takes his own life ‘after being unable to cope with coronavirus self-isolation’Man, 34, takes his own life ‘after being unable to cope with coronavirus self-isolation’ ..."

Source: https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-c...wer&soc_trk=fb

We all need to be sensitive to the needs and sensitivities of others, not all illnesses are visible.

Quote Originally Posted by KhunIanB-UK View Post
    ... If you know people in those circumstances then give them a call, especially if you're self isolating and see if you can offer them some assistance or get some advice for them.

https://www.nhs.uk/oneyou/every-mind...mind-plan-quiz
    Thanks for posting this Ian, services like this need to be promoted as much as possible. It's not always easy to ask for help, so links like that may offer a further degree of help to those who are most vulnerable.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

I seen what I assume is a good video posted by a doctor about breathing techniques that should be carried out a few times a day. It goes something along the lines of.....

Breathe in deeply and hold your breath for 5 seconds, breathe out slowly. Do this 5 times in a row.
    On your 6th breathe, inhale deeply, don't hold your breath but cough once instead.

Repeat this cycle again.

Once you've completed both cycles (total of 12 breath's) grab a pillow and lie down facing the floor with the pillow just used for comfort for your torso. Lie in this position for 10 minutes. the theory is that by facing down it clears your lungs out better.

I'm not 100% sure how many times a day you should do this exercise. I guess the more times the better. When I find the link for the video I will post it.....

Hope this helps everyone.

Walshie I hope things are improving back home and indeed anybody else possibly effected.

I could be wrong about the openness of some of these changes and might have missed them, but despite the general saying a full curfew won't happen, bit by bit, the screw is turning and not necessarily in a bad way. I am not sure if local or national initiatives apply?

Two examples from Hua Hin today. The bus station near the airport that shuttles people between Swampy and Hua Hin is completely boarded up. I certainly wasn't aware the service had stopped. It is used by many as a way of getting into Bkk, not just to the airport.

A bit further south, towards the town, just past the airport entrance, a new traffic control system is being put in place. Basically, the normal three lane road has been narrowed into one, with the middle lane only remaining open. The permanency of this is evident by the fact that on one side, awning has been erected that goes right up to the middle lane, which has bollards either side. They were even putting plant pots out to make it look a little jolly. Whatever they will be doing, hasn't yet started and I drove through without any issues, although there were Police and others present. Whoever had brought the plant pots was busy watering them!

A bit further south they had previously employed ad-hoc checks. And last Monday, when I pulled out of Makro heading north , I noticed the tailback on the south bound lanes and instead of doing a U-turn at the first opportunity as normal (I live south and west of town), I turned left at Soi2, which took me to the Klong road and then left at the lights to head back to town. I didn't do this to avoid whatever they were checking at the road block, it was all to do with expediency.

Clearly and openly, travel between provinces is being discouraged. Is this new check point part of that, or are they considering a shut down of Hua Hin / PKK (the border with Petchaburi is just north of the tunnel under the airport runway). But that makes no sense, based on the virus figures for Hua Hin, which are quite stable.
    'Tis me

Thanks guys. She’s feeling much better today with the new medication she’s been given.

on a side note I am trying to decide if this news article I saw on reddit it real or not? Can you imagine British people doing this?
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-pandemic.html

Quote Originally Posted by DAS View Post
    It's all going to be blamed on us the "dirty westerners".

That's Ironic, have people seen the videos of what is eaten over there?

Lawsuits have already begun - 'Calls are coming from around the world for a legal response to the coronavirus catasrophe.'
    Last edited by marshall; 11th Apr 2020 at 22:19.
    The clock on the wall reads a quarter past midnight

Old Hand มือเก่า

I have been hearing on a daily basis that Europe has itself to blame for not wearing masks. Amazing how many experts pipe up when things like this happen. Fortunately the ever day vendors and so on aren't quite so ignorant and spiteful. I've seen house and garden magazines here showing rich Bangkokians in their Shabby Chic houses complete with fireplaces which kind of sums up their aptitude to copy anything they see and hear without due consideration. If there is one thing Thailand does better than most it's shift the blame. I've stopped watching the Thai news or following the nonsense they report. It's been repulsive how the media here have reported it. Full of prejudice, fake news and racist politicians. As I said before, I try to focus on the good-natured people around me who have been magnificent throughout even the local immigration!

Member สมาชิก

Is it really being blamed on 'dirty westerners'. My Thai wife and our friends firmly know this came form China. We all think Europe have been stupid to let it in and slow to control it but i do not hear of Thai's blaming us for the virus in Thailand. Maybe it is just the people i know. One of our english friends was ill the other day and his thai wife took him straight to the doctor because of his bad cough and they both went to hospital for 3 days and were given the all clear on the virus and are back home. The doctor and hospital were A1 with him and no charge. Certainly no feeling of blame there

Old Hand มือเก่า

I think the media have hinted at certain things that they shouldn't. That muppet who called us all dirty has since gone on to accuse doctors and nurses who contract the virus as irresponsible as they have better PPE than the average Joe. Sums him up but I wish the Govt. would take a stance on his behaviour and sack him, or better still flog him in public. As I say Nick, the people around me aren't echoing such. The lack of face masks in Italy is being attributed to the spread from most people I speak to however. Such ignorant outbursts annoy the heck out of me especially when they then drive around with kids without crash helmets. However, I dare say England and the rest of the world also have their own idiots.