Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  112
Likes Likes:  411
Dislikes Dislikes:  6
Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Old Hand มือเก่า

We went out for lunch at a hotel today and so did most the town! They were checking temperatures and putting alcohol on the hands as we arrived but come 12:00 the health checkers cleared off for lunch whilst the rush hour began......

I've heard Songkran in Bangsaen and a few other areas has been cancelled, Let's hope people see sense and stay put for the holidays if numbers increase. Something tells me that won't be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    And it wouldn’t surprise me if he lives in a white house

"Please do not take this very serious and important subject off topic, please do so in the Off Topic lounge or breakfast in one of the many other threads that have raised those subjects.

This topic is strictly about coronavirus COVID-19. Any off topic discussion will be deleted".

You have been Warned
    The clock on the wall reads a quarter past midnight

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by Samsung View Post
    was in the supermarket yesterday the old people are building there stockpiles ie corn beef, tuna ,tinned ham ,spam god bless them it most be a worry ,,I mean reading whats going on in Italy this is getting faster.
    If they are reading whats been happening in Italy, then you can understand why they are stockpiling.
    Yet if you looked at the rest of Europe combined, probably the same case's as Italy, yet nowhere near the sames deaths or active cases that are critical.

https://www.thelocal.it/20200305/ana...eaths-in-italy
    Last edited by Greg / Pairin; 7th Mar 2020 at 16:23.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

I was lookin at some stats and there were nearly 500,000 over 80's in the UK in 2008. I do not know how many people there are with health problems in the UK but i suspect if you put these together you are talking about a lot of people who could be vulnerable to the virus. It is ok if you are young and fit but not good for them for sure !!
    Quote Originally Posted by -Keith- View Post
    Interesting that the average age of the deaths in Italy is 81 !!!

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

I do not believe that we have the technology to cover up the sun.

On a brief note we saw a Facebook story from aThai lady who just married a Brit arriving in Heathrow on Eva Air (Taiwanese Airline). Only the usual security checks, no basic health screening. Does anybody know if there is a reason for this. I have read that airports are checkng people now in th UK but I have not seen any evidence ??

Nick, I picked my mother in law up 2 days ago from Heathrow, she flew with Eva air too. No checks but in a bbc video I watched it said the temperature checks are only 10% accurate so the government are relying on educating people about using NHS 111 service.

Thanks for that. I am surprised, they are even doing checks in our condo. Time will tell I guess. At least the warmer weather will make a difference i April May I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by walshie View Post
    Nick, I picked my mother in law up 2 days ago from Heathrow, she flew with Eva air too. No checks but in a bbc video I watched it said the temperature checks are only 10% accurate so the government are relying on educating people about using NHS 111 service.

I came back with EVA Air into Heathrow last week from BKK. No checks. But things move very fast with this thing, so that is already a long time ago. Still in my 14 day work from home period before returning to work.

Old Hand มือเก่า

We walked into Homepro and Index in Khon Kaen today and there wasn't a check or hand scrub to be seen. I'm really, really hoping that the heat is what is topping the spread here rather than the alternative notion.

I've heard that some provinces will cancel Songkran but others haven't. I hope the govt give the shove needed to those that won't comply. The image of thousands of revelers lobbing dirty water over each other and then a mass outbreak occurring won't do much for TAT's image (what's left of it).

I am positive the heat makes a big difference, the same as normal flu. I worry about the UK now as the government have not had any prevention phase and only moved to containment. I really hope their limited strategies are correct as we all i am sure have vulnerable people in our families. They are still talking and do not expect finalised strategies until the end of the month. Ironically in Thailand or at least in Bangkok we feel very safe when following the safety guidance, they are really not much at all when you make it part of daily life
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnet View Post
    We walked into Homepro and Index in Khon Kaen today and there wasn't a check or hand scrub to be seen. I'm really, really hoping that the heat is what is topping the spread here rather than the alternative notion.

I've heard that some provinces will cancel Songkran but others haven't. I hope the govt give the shove needed to those that won't comply. The image of thousands of revelers lobbing dirty water over each other and then a mass outbreak occurring won't do much for TAT's image (what's left of it).

P.S. The pool in our Condo has opened up again today in Bangkok. I think people are feeling a little more confident here but still careful

I see on Facebook (so believe it or not) that Thai Airways now require a Corona Free Medical Certificate to fly from infected areas.

Trying to find more info about it.
    Bye Bye EU Day 31st December 2020 (11 p.m.)

Blog Entries

I suspect it is social media disinformation, here is the latest COVID-19 information from Thai Airways: https://www.thaiairways.com/en_TH/ne...xcellence.page
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.

Old Hand มือเก่า

Nick what if any measures have the Thai Govt made in comparison to the UK? Banning mass gatherings? Nope. Preventing people from traveling in and out of the country? Nope, quite the opposite if you visit Phuket. Making 46 million quid available for vaccines? Nope.

Let's see if they are sensible enough to ban Songkran events. Let's see if they will play sporting events behind closed doors sacrificing billions of baht.

I really can't see your relevance in constantly comparing the two and lambasting the UK. Considering the amount of Chinese tourists that came here over the New Year period and the complete and utter lack of checking worldwide at the time, the only reason Thailand isn't overrun with the virus is because a: they got very lucky, b. the heat, or c. the real numbers are not being given.

If the UK is dragging its feet its one thing but Thailand certainly isn't an improved model.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ N Barton's Avatar

Let's see if they will play sporting events behind closed doors sacrificing billions of baht..
    Haven't they postponed all Thai League Matches ?

Also, although not a decision made by Thailand alone, all Asian World Cup Qualifiers have been postponed
    We'll never win the Premier League,
    We'll never win a Cup,
    We'll still follow UNITED !!

Let's see if they will play sporting events behind closed doors sacrificing billions of baht.
    Football matches in all Thai leagues have been postponed from 3rd March until at least 18th April.

Edit: Lol. Typing at the same time as N Barton.
    Paul พอล
    กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

Let's see if they will play sporting events behind closed doors sacrificing billions of baht.

If the UK is dragging its feet its one thing but Thailand certainly isn't an improved model.
    The initial plan was to play behind closed doors. The postponement came later. What's interesting is that most Thai football bar 2/3 teams is actually quite poorly supported. Port get small average attendances as do Ratchaburi and both are currently at the top of the league. Only just over 3000 saw Ratchaburi beat Buriram.

Then there is the mask hysteria here. Huge amounts are being spent on making more masks despite the Health ministry admitting that they sort of miss the point. Ah well, it will all come out in the wash.

Just seem a BP report that in February arrivals dropped by 44% from a year earlier. What about tourists then?
    'Tis me

Old Hand มือเก่า

Ok hands up..I didn't read that my bad about the football.

I'll be the first to hope I'm wrong with Songkran. I heard that many places are cancelling but it would make perfect sense that if the Govt are serious about stopping the threat of infection they'll come out and stop it this year. Let's face it, they can close down political parties so why aren't they taking it upon themselves to stop it. There's been a two week festival in Kalasin which circulates around the hospital itself and attracts huge crowds. To me this is a public gathering and to me the local office should have stopped it this year. That sums up the local attitude towards the virus, the same as global warming and many other issues that other countries attempt to change - it won't happen to us or somebody else will bail us out.

Quote Originally Posted by DAS View Post
    I was also wondering about transmition of the virus through community swimming pools. I've done some searching on the web but haven't found anything. So I shall be taking my daily dip soon, not too worried but would like the info if it is available.
    My personal adviser on anything I do (Wife) phoned me last week asking me to stop swimming activities until further notice due to the Virus, upon me asking if she had scientific evidence of catching the Virus via swimming, she said " No " which just happens to be the same answer she then received.
    If she did have evidence it would be sent to FB, Messenger and LINE.
    The pool I use is rarely used, as there is no shallow part for sprogs, thats over the road, happy days.
    https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.co...irus-in-water/

PS Wife had a call from my dentist on Thursday asking if I had been out of the country in the last week or so (because of the Virus), she told them i ve not been abroad this year, so root canal treatment went ahead on Saturday.
    Last edited by sisaket; 9th Mar 2020 at 22:05.
    bangkok mags

I agree about the heat. It has taken the heat off it so to speak. I am saying that there is a general awareness here and people are more careful. Checks in the airport at least stop those who have clear signs. Your perspective is that Thailand has done no more than the UK and are lucky. My perspective is that I have to come home soon and take over again looking after my elderly parents and I am concerned that I might no be able to when I arrive. I am just wanting the UK government to wake up now and take action now on everything and not remain on the backfoot all of the time. I see that things are actually happening now which is a relief but it is alarming to hear about people walking through airports with zero checks when the whole of Italy has just gone into lock down. Maybe it is my selfish perspective on it all, or maybe I am in a lucky place for the next few weeks, maybe it will not get too bad I really do not know, but I do know that there have been plenty of warning shots about this.

P.S The government have stopped Songkran

I agree about the heat. It has taken the heat off it so to speak. I am saying that there is a general awareness here and people are more careful. Checks in the airport at least stop those who have clear signs. Your perspective is that Thailand has done no more than the UK and are lucky. My perspective is that I have to come home soon and take over again looking after my elderly parents and I am concerned that I might no be able to when I arrive. I am just wanting the UK government to wake up now and take action now on everything and not remain on the backfoot all of the time. I see that things are actually happening now which is a relief but it is alarming to hear about people walking through airports with zero checks when the whole of Italy has just gone into lock down. Maybe it is my selfish perspective on it all, or maybe I am in a lucky place for the next few weeks, maybe it will not get too bad I really do not know, but I do know that there have been plenty of warning shots about this.

P.S I believe that The government have stopped Songkran but it does not mean that all area will comply i guess
    Nick what if any measures have the Thai Govt made in comparison to the UK? Banning mass gatherings? Nope. Preventing people from traveling in and out of the country? Nope, quite the opposite if you visit Phuket. Making 46 million quid available for vaccines? Nope.

Let's see if they are sensible enough to ban Songkran events. Let's see if they will play sporting events behind closed doors sacrificing billions of baht.

I really can't see your relevance in constantly comparing the two and lambasting the UK. Considering the amount of Chinese tourists that came here over the New Year period and the complete and utter lack of checking worldwide at the time, the only reason Thailand isn't overrun with the virus is because a: they got very lucky, b. the heat, or c. the real numbers are not being given.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nickj1000 View Post
    I am just wanting the UK government to wake up now and take action now on everything and not remain on the backfoot all of the time...
    What is it the UK are not doing that you think they should be?
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.