Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  112
Likes Likes:  411
Dislikes Dislikes:  6
Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

The WHO praised the UK governments preparedness and it's public information campaign. I feel very confident with the way things are being handled here.
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Quote Originally Posted by nickj1000 View Post
    P.S I believe that The government have stopped Songkran but it does not mean that all area will comply i guess
    Local Thai authorities have stopped official planned functions in many areas.

Nick, do you read what others post or follow Thai media? You keep on about Thai checks at airports, yet the heat checks you heap so much praise on offer no real defence at all. They are inaccurate and catch a moment in time. Again, from statistical data being compiled, it has now been shown that it takes an average of 5 days for the symptoms to first appear in an infected person.

The Thais are up in arms about the government incompetence over the virus. Half of the illegal workers that were flown back from Korea were meant to be transported straight to quarantine, about half disappeared after getting off the plane - was it one plane or more? If the former, how does that happen in what is an easily controlled environment, with them all being on the same flight? Take it to one side of the airport, have special customs and immigration facilities set up and then stick them all on buses and transport them to wherever. It's so basic, it's scary they can't even get that right.

A convicted drug dealer, a general in the Junta's Government, has an aide who has been selling millions of masks to China via facebook. The very same masks hospitals are running out of in Thailand. This is typical of the Thai Governments unpreparedness.

Just look at todays Bangkok post, especially the opinions, and see what is really happening here. Not to mention those still unexplained 1000's being held somewhere for testing, but all being cleared of having the virus.

The biggest threat to Thailand is the same as elsewhere - unknown carriers passing it on. A statistical expert based at Southampton Uni helping to project the planned movement of the virus, has stated that Thailand would have been visited by over 200 Chinese carrying the virus between the time it was known about and China stopped group - not individual travel. This ties in with the experts at the health ministry, not the mask clown in charge, stating they believe they had about 600 carriers in the Country, but had no idea where.

The latest rule, needing a health certificate to enter Thailand before even getting on a flight from at risk Countries, will not work. Which Doctor will issue one and what does it actually mean? All a doctor can say is, 'not showing any symptoms'. Yet Vietnam has traced an elderly British couple, now in quarantine, who were infected on their flight from a returning Vietnamese lady, and they in turn, infected others on their travels. All traced by the Vietnamese.

Basically the Govt here have been on the back foot from day one, apart from some public shows of reassurance, that ultimately are meaningless.

As I have said before, what Thailand can be thankful of is a good level of professionalism within their medical services.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/1875444/govt-risks-being-the-next-casualty-of-covid-19

https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/...e-its-too-late

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1875664/thai-passengers-require-health-certificates#cxrecs_s

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1875664/thai-passengers-require-health-certificates#cxrecs_s

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1875644/villagers-oppose-planned-quarantine-centre
    'Tis me

Old Hand มือเก่า

It seems to me that the UK and most of Europe have accepted that there is only so much they can do and rather than panic and stress people out even more (which is the biggest problem so far) they are taking a cautious yet practical approach. I speak with my dad everyday and he is concerned but certainly not going out buying bog roll and locking up the gates.

In times like these you need calm heads and from what I read that is what the UK and Europe are offering.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Quote Originally Posted by Barnet View Post
    It seems to me that the UK and most of Europe have accepted that there is only so much they can do and rather than panic and stress people out even more (which is the biggest problem so far) they are taking a cautious yet practical approach. I speak with my dad everyday and he is concerned but certainly not going out buying bog roll and locking up the gates.

In times like these you need calm heads and from what I read that is what the UK and Europe are offering.
    Yes I agree. Of course there are vocal critics that are saying we should put the entire country in lockdown now and that the UK government and Boris in particular are not doing enough. But there is a balance to be struck and I think the government so far has it right, but they are certainly walking a tightrope.

Old Hand มือเก่า

I think the world over is walking a tightrope quite simply because they don't know just how far-reaching it is. Who could have predicted Italy going the way it has? S. Korea are in my eyes one of the most organized nations on the planet yet it's brought them to their knees. Politicians always say "we will not negotiate with terrorists." It seems the roles have reversed and this virus is simply not for negotiation.

China had the outbreak (for real) during the Chinese New Year. Italy during the height of the skiing season. To a conspiracy theorist or supernatural fan it must be doing somersaults in their imaginations.

I do not live in Thailand caller, I travel back and forth. I have not wanted to say that the issue in Thailand was handled correctly and many of the Thai's I know have been very unhappy about the lack of control of entry of possible carriers. They do not seem to talk about the issues you mention though, making money out of it and carriers jumping ship etc but that could be lack of knowledge. I am not trying to raise Thailand up I am saying that it is good learn from what has already happened and take action before something else happens. The problem of course is that full facts behind decision making are rarely issued to us. I hope the UK government is right in their approach in not policing entry to the country and keeping a lid on panic. At least there seems to be more coming out in terms of making people aware. One thing I am certain of though is that no matter how strong one's person's opinions on the facts may be there will be those with the opposite view for sure. Thanks for your information and the links, one i think is dead but i see the first one is very damning of the Thai government.
    Quote Originally Posted by caller View Post
    Local Thai authorities have stopped official planned functions in many areas

Nick, do you read what others post or follow Thai media? You keep on about Thai checks at airports, yet the heat checks you heap so much praise on offer no real defence at all. They are inaccurate and catch a moment in time. Again, from statistical data being compiled, it has now been shown that it takes an average of 5 days for the symptoms to first appear in an infected person.

The Thais are up in arms about the government incompetence over the virus. Half of the illegal workers that were flown back from Korea were meant to be transported straight to quarantine, about half disappeared after getting off the plane - was it one plane or more? If the former, how does that happen in what is an easily controlled environment, with them all being on the same flight? Take it to one side of the airport, have special customs and immigration facilities set up and then stick them all on buses and transport them to wherever. It's so basic, it's scary they can't even get that right.

A convicted drug dealer, a general in the Junta's Government, has an aide who has been selling millions of masks to China via facebook. The very same masks hospitals are running out of in Thailand. This is typical of the Thai Governments unpreparedness.

Just look at todays Bangkok post, especially the opinions, and see what is really happening here. Not to mention those still unexplained 1000's being held somewhere for testing, but all being cleared of having the virus.

The biggest threat to Thailand is the same as elsewhere - unknown carriers passing it on. A statistical expert based at Southampton Uni helping to project the planned movement of the virus, has stated that Thailand would have been visited by over 200 Chinese carrying the virus between the time it was known about and China stopped group - not individual travel. This ties in with the experts at the health ministry, not the mask clown in charge, stating they believe they had about 600 carriers in the Country, but had no idea where.

The latest rule, needing a health certificate to enter Thailand before even getting on a flight from at risk Countries, will not work. Which Doctor will issue one and what does it actually mean? All a doctor can say is, 'not showing any symptoms'. Yet Vietnam has traced an elderly British couple, now in quarantine, who were infected on their flight from a returning Vietnamese lady, and they in turn, infected others on their travels. All traced by the Vietnamese.

Basically the Govt here have been on the back foot from day one, apart from some public shows of reassurance, that ultimately are meaningless.

As I have said before, what Thailand can be thankful of is a good level of professionalism within their medical services.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/1875444/govt-risks-being-the-next-casualty-of-covid-19

https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/...e-its-too-late

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...llagers-oppose-planned-quarantine-centre

6 deaths 400 infected 6500000 population major panic :doh even china lost 3300 approx dead ?? There may well be more suicides due to stock market crash than those dying of the virus.
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

There are too many things to say really Tobias. It seems that many do not agree with restricting entry to the UK, use of masks or testing at airports because there are those that say these things are 0f little or no use. On the other hand many say that these things are very important. Some are happy with the UK government in their approach and many are just as unhappy and of course their are conspiracy theories everywhere. At the end of the day we are where we are and I will be keeping my fingers crossed that we are lucky and things get warmer fast. Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    What is it the UK are not doing that you think they should be?

Old Hand มือเก่า

40 degrees in the NE of Thailand today...not too much hotter thanks.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Essex boys's Avatar

Got the Brittany ferry Portsmouth to st malo on Monday night, no special measures being taken on the ferry regarding cleaning or hand sanitizer stuff, not many people on the ferry and looked like most people were happy to have dinner on the ferry and enjoy the entertainment in the bar....no checks regarding the corona virus were made prior to boarding and nothing on disembarkation in st malo.
    my friend in Thailand near ubolratana dam tells me this morning that sales of masks are restricted to medical professionals, and that the official songkran 'partying' in khon kaen has been cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Essex boys View Post
    my friend in Thailand near ubolratana dam tells me this morning that sales of masks are restricted to medical professionals
    I don't know about that, but here in Hua Hin, they are next to impossible to find. There is clearly a lot of marketeering going on and the Govt just seem impotent. Although most Thais I know believe they are involved with that in any case.

There are some very strong opinion pieces being written by Thai journalists now, almost unheard of since the criminals took over. It's as if collectively, they have grown a set. Business is equally damning, bar the big 5 favoured families / groupings. The CEO of one of Thailand's largest retail groups said the other day that the Govt. have failed on everything from controlling pollution to their handling of the virus. Open and direct criticism is becoming the norm. Let's hope they sleep safe at night..
    'Tis me

Had official text and follow up Email that Thailand v Indonesia is postponed, can get refund or use tickets for re-arranged game.
    China had been going to play their "home" game in Buriram v Maldives and had invited Guam to play their home game v China also in Buriram, as the Chinese would have extreme difficulties obtaining entry to American territory, these games were given the go ahead by Thailand on condition of no spectators, but obviously all games are now suspended up to and including June (Asian world cup qualifiers)
    bangkok mags

I do not know why it i but in Koh Samui there are masks available everywhere. We just bought 20 for bangkok and for my return home.
    Quote Originally Posted by caller View Post
    I don't know about that, but here in Hua Hin, they are next to impossible to find. There is clearly a lot of marketeering going on and the Govt just seem impotent. Although most Thais I know believe they are involved with that in any case.

There are some very strong opinion pieces being written by Thai journalists now, almost unheard of since the criminals took over. It's as if collectively, they have grown a set. Business is equally damning, bar the big 5 favoured families / groupings. The CEO of one of Thailand's largest retail groups said the other day that the Govt. have failed on everything from controlling pollution to their handling of the virus. Open and direct criticism is becoming the norm. Let's hope they sleep safe at night..

Quote Originally Posted by nickj1000 View Post
    I do not know why it i but in Koh Samui there are masks available everywhere. We just bought 20 for bangkok and for my return home.
    Why, do you have the virus ?
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

There is really a sea change happening here now. Yesterday afternoon, I went to Bluport, one of two big malls here in Hua Hin. Its never the busiest of malls during the week, but yesterday afternoon, the car park was as empty as I have seen it. This suggests it's Thai's who are giving these places a miss (parking for bikes is elsewhere).

I say that, as when I entered the Mall - and I had to visit the 3rd (top) floor followed by the ground floor - there were people around. Certainly more than I expected based on the empty car park. On the ground floor in particular, where Gourmet Market is as well as the food court, restaurants and food stalls, it was actually surprisingly active, mainly western tourists, either elderly, or families with young children as well as the usual farang/Thai mix.

The store has just reduced it's opening hours, less so for the ground floor, which is always the busiest area and this is based solely on the headcount of visitors going down. My other half works for the company that part owns this mall at their Bkk head office, she sent me the details of the changes to post on the local forum.
    'Tis me

i hope not !
    Quote Originally Posted by -Keith- View Post
    Why, do you have the virus ?

Bye Bye EU Day 31st December 2020 (11 p.m.)

Old Hand มือเก่า

Makes for pleasant bedtime viewing. Cheers Gary!

Blog Entries

Below is a link to the Royal Thai Embassy website which provides information on revised restrictions for passengers arriving in Thailand from certain countries:

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en...COVID-19).html
    Last edited by Tobias; 13th Mar 2020 at 01:16. Reason: Fixed broken link
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.

Blog Entries

Below you will find the Q&As/FAQs on the revised travel measures:

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/co...10363_5.50.pdf
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.