Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  86
Likes Likes:  318
Dislikes Dislikes:  6
Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast
    Old Hand มือเก่า

Default COVID-19 [general discussion]

I notice that 2 of of the cases have been found in Thailand there is an article somewhere about Thai immigration detaining a Chinese tourist at the airport regarding this somewhere on the news.
    Now i am no rocket scientist or doctor but having just been Ill in Thailand and the treatment a very strong antibiotic which when i showed my Dr in the UK he frowned now on past experience getting these type of medicines from a UK Dr is like trying to get blood out of a stone i wonder if the general misuse of antibiotics in south east Asia has anything to do with the spread of these type of virus .

www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51148303
    Last edited by Tobias; 18th Jan 2020 at 17:26. Reason: Changed topic title to identify subject

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ N Barton's Avatar

Unfortunately it's not a South East Asia thing, misuse of antibiotics is massive in the UK and I am sure it will be the same story World wide. Go to any European holiday destination and you can buy them over the counter just as easy as in Thailand, and these are absolutely flooding into UK. There has recently been a Nationwide radio campaign trying to discourage the use of non prescribed antibiotics, but methinks people will just ignore.
    My son has a degree in bio-chemistry and has drummed it into us about viruses developing themselves to become immune to antibiotics, hence the reason you should only take prescribed drugs
    We'll never win the Premier League,
    We'll never win a Cup,
    We'll still follow UNITED !!

My son has a degree in bio-chemistry and has drummed it into us about viruses developing themselves to become immune to antibiotics, hence the reason you should only take prescribed drugs
    Viruses are not affected by antibiotics period never have been ???

Bacteria are evolving to become immune and if it continues we will be in deep do-do as infection control in surgery will become really problematic , I have had 2 operations in the past 2 months hip replacement followed by a second hip revision 3 weeks ago having fallen and broken the femur just before christmas both times given intravenous antibiotics.
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

There seems to be some confusion. Viruses are not the same as bacteria.

Bacteria are single cell organisms whereas viruses are essentially packets of various protein structures. Viruses rely upon a living host to reproduce which they do by reprogramming ("highjacking") the host's cells, e.g. common cold virus, avian flu virus, chickenpox, HIV, to turn them into virus factories. The best way to deal with viral infections is either through immunity (e.g. through vaccination) or through anti-viral drugs to disrupt them. Antibiotics are never used to treat viral infections (although they might subsequently be needed to treat opportunistic secondary bacterial infections).

Antibiotics are used to treat bacterial infections. It is the misuse of antibiotics which has led to antibiotic resistance - it's a form of natural selection and the disease causing bacteria, e.g. MDR TB and MRSA, are winning.

(By the way, I'm a Chartered Biologist)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ash View Post
    Viruses are not affected by antibiotics period never have been ???.
    That's why I am a sign maker and not a chemist, shoot me down for mis-quoting my son !!

What doesn't change is that people, lots of them, bring over the counter anti-biotics back from the likes of Spain. Greece. Thailand and take them for whatever ailment they might have, whether it be viral or bacterial.
    We'll never win a Cup,

Antibiotics kill the good bacteria as well as the bad, which hinders our bodies natural defences.

There is an article in a magazine this week stating: The human body is 57% microbes and other non human organisms.

Human Microbiome:

Humans are colonized by many microorganisms; the traditional estimate is that the average human body is inhabited by ten times as many non-human cells as human cells, but more recent estimates have lowered that ratio to 3:1 or even to approximately the same number. Some microorganisms that colonize humans are commensal, meaning they co-exist without harming humans; others have a mutalistic relationship with their human hosts
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_microbiome
    The clock on the wall reads a quarter past midnight

Old Hand มือเก่า

I have learned a few things there ,,.
    So the influx of these medicines in the UK means there is a market for them like i said in the original post try getting them out of my doctor is like trying to get blood out of a stone .where in other country's its a simple trip to the pharmacist.
    The drip with the cocktail of who knows what and the tablets i had seem to have worked a treat with my chest infection even thore the DR back in the UK rolled his eyes when i showed him what i had been prescribed .

Old Hand มือเก่า

Im just thinking back to what was the first thing that greeted me on my recent arrival in Thailand a TOILET or worse than a toilet that disgusting finger print reader at immigration well done Thailand lets put health and safety first .shocking they are using them with no cleaning solution unless they cleaned themselves i was not impressed with the guy with his finger up his nose then putting it the scanner .

Rookie มือใหม่

Just looking at the date this thread was first posted...a whole month after china first knew about this outbreak of this strain. It just beggers belief on the way they try to keep things internal whilst there has been 3 direct flights a week to Heathrow from the city where the outbreak started.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Essex boys's Avatar

Default Coronavirus COVID-19 [in Thailand?]

Hi all, any info on the corona virus, has it hit Thailand yet and if so how bad? I see on many occasions Thai people sneezing all over the place and not covering with their hand or a handkerchief, I should think if it hits Thailand it could be a big problem

Yes it has reached Thailand, although I am not sure how many cases.
    We'll never win a Cup,

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

I think there are 14 confirmed cases in Thailand. it is the second highest risk country behind China.

I'm travelling to Thailand very soon. A bit of a concern for sure - mainly the airport and plane itself - but it is what it is. Cabin crews worldwide are at far greater risk than just me with one journey. Life is always a risk from something, I just get on with it, and what happens happens.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Essex boys's Avatar

I'm not flying there untill beginning of May, let's see what happens by then....

Member สมาชิก

Pharmacys in BK have sold out of masks and rumour are doing the rounds that used masks are being washed and repackaged

Thailand has 19 reported cases and 274 suspected cases of the new Coronavirus. I belive the main concern of the Thai citizens is the massive influx of Chinese tourists. A lot of Thais think the government are still prioritising the visitors because of the tourism money as opposed to the safety of their own citizens.

So far the cases have been reported in Chiang Mai, Hua Hin, Bangkok and Nakhon Pathom. (maybe more but I cant find anymore information immediatley.

I think if you look after yourself in general when your there you will be fine. Alcohol hand gel, dettol wipes and a mask if you are in a particuaraly populated area. The media are spinning people into a frenzy about it.

The chances of getting this virus are still very very low when you consider the population size vs number of infected people. I wouldnt be canceling my holiday over it.

On another note there have been two cases reported in York which is very close to my house. Apparently the pharmacys have put notices on the windows saying theyre sold out of face masks.

Hopefully all the hype doesn't scare my Mother in law off going to bangkok to apply for her visit visa on Friday!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E...itory#Thailand

Old Hand มือเก่า

Me myself thinks everyone should be concerned and keep one eye on this over the next few weeks something does not feel right about it .
    just a few notes and observations made by myself .
    Carrie lam and her entourage all with face mask on ?
    some figures around last week which i could not get my head around .
    12,000 cases
    150 deaths
    only 215 cured as off today
    yesterday alone 45 deaths .it just puts a big question mark over the 12,000 infected .

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

If there was a massive risk, all flights worldwide would be grounded. That hasn't happened, only to/from China.

Obviously had this been predicted, I wouldn't have bought my ticket in December for travel in February. But I have it and will travel.

Old Hand มือเก่า

The virus originated from an animal in a street market in Hubei, probably a snake which in turn ate a bat and in turn lined some old girl's Sunday lunch. Many Chinese people still live as farmers, growing their own crops and eating most things that move. Add to that the unsanitary way in which they live, spitting everywhere, not washing their hands in public toilets, coughing and sneezing constantly but never covering their mouths. This is not an anti-Chinese rant rather the experience of someone who has lived and worked there for two years.

The Govt wanted to keep it quiet so people didn't flee and take the virus with them. Since the news broke, from Thailand I believe, that's exactly what's occurred. Hubei is a ghost province and the virus is all over the world.

My school are trying to get us back on the 14th Feb but I shall not be moving until the all-clear is given.

Samsung, your post implies you think there is a conspiracy afoot
    I am assuming you have seen the video where the Chinese doctor or nurse says the government are covering up how many people have actually been infected and it was more like 90k.

Another strange occourance is the Chinese government were, in the first few days apparently expending considerable police resources arresting anyone who even talked about the virus.
    I understand the need to stop the hysteria but had more people been aware of the virus spreading would there have been as many cases?

The Thai tourist industry is being decimated by this. Story after story in the media. Cash is king and lives are secondry, hence Chinese are still travelling here independtly. Some are not being made welcome by locals.
    'Tis me