Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  112
Likes Likes:  411
Dislikes Dislikes:  6
Page 18 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Member สมาชิก

I blame Tobias and people like him that jet set around the world on jollys spreading the virus, but unfortunately I have nothing to prove my suspicions so I'll keep quiet for now...... I watching you Mr Tobias lol

Devastated, after warming up, sit ups, using my interchangeable dumb-bells (dont have in the gym) then legging it to the gym for the bench and machines then normally followed by shower and swimming, went to the office for the keys and they were in the process of printing notices that the pool and gym are closed due to COVID - 19
    Looks like will have to increase the stair climbing for a while.
    bangkok mags

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sisaket View Post
    Devastated, after warming up, sit ups, using my interchangeable dumb-bells (dont have in the gym) then legging it to the gym for the bench and machines then normally followed by shower and swimming, went to the office for the keys and they were in the process of printing notices that the pool and gym are closed due to COVID - 19
    Even the UK is on closedown, my son and I were thrown out of the pub tonight in the UK, Boris said from midnight, but out local licensee booted us out at 21:00
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Loss of the gym is not good for us oldies. i run 5K every day and use dumb-bells to keep in shape and keep my immune system up. Have to start running the road i guess, i think this is ok

Quote Originally Posted by sisaket View Post

Old Hand มือเก่า
    ต้องการนักแปล

i have caught up with my wife this morning ,and she has told me they had a meeting yesterday at work .Of course people are worried about there jobs in which she was told we are to busy and will not be closing wont go to much into what she does but it is military/police force equipment .What i am getting at is IF my wives company was to close ie if she worked in a restaurant would she be entitled to the government bailout wages seeing she has not got her ILR .One for you there Mr T no recourse to public funds .?

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

I have just found this so i suppose a foreign national who has not got ILR would get paid .
    If you’re employed

The government will pay employees’ wages through the corona virus job retention scheme. Available to anyone on the PAYE scheme. Employers need to contact HMRC to keep workers on payroll. The scheme will pay 80% of retained workers’ salaries up to £2.5k a month. Employers can top up salaries to more than this if they choose to.
    Wages under the scheme will be backdated to March 1 and the scheme will be open for at least three months. There is no limit on amount of funding and the government will pay grants to support as many jobs as necessary. It is hoped the first of grants will be paid before the end of April.
    The link i got it from .
    https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.u...-means-for-you

Blog Entries

Yes Samsung, wages will be paid by employers so even those with 'no recourse’ will be paid as this payment is not considered ‘public funds’ under the Immigration provisions.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ toddmeister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Tobias

My wife works in a Thai restaurant. On Wednesday she received an email advising they were having "temporary lay-offs" for 8 weeks. The email was very vague but said she would be entitled to £29 per day up to a total of £145. So I'm assuming she's still legally employed? Obviously last nights announcement means the restaurant has now been forced to close its doors. I understand the new government scheme will be backdated to March. I'm just wondering as she's technically already been laid-off, will the 80% salary scheme apply to her? I'm sure we'll hear from her employer soon enough but just trying to put her mind at rest in the interim period until it's all clarified

Many Thanks

As per usual politicians do not seem to know details and sadly continue to speak a load of bull instead of admitting they don't know the answer. All should become clearer in the next few weeks but its unlikely to be possible to cover every eventuality.
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by toddmeister View Post
    Hi Tobias

My wife works in a Thai restaurant. On Wednesday she received an email advising they were having "temporary lay-offs" for 8 weeks. The email was very vague but said she would be entitled to £29 per day up to a total of £145. So I'm assuming she's still legally employed? Obviously last nights announcement means the restaurant has now been forced to close its doors. I understand the new government scheme will be backdated to March. I'm just wondering as she's technically already been laid-off, will the 80% salary scheme apply to her? I'm sure we'll hear from her employer soon enough but just trying to put her mind at rest in the interim period until it's all clarified

Many Thanks
    The employer appears to have provided information based on the original provisions. An employee's status must be that of furloughed, that is a temporary layoff from work. Where an employee has been furloughed an employer will be able to obtain a grant equal to 80% of an employee's wage under the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme.

Perhaps ask her employer to contact HMRC for advice. The scheme is not set up yet but Government hopes it will be fully operational during April. I suspect HMRC will contact all employers once the scheme is operational. The employer would apply for the grant online, obviously once set up.

And yes, this is backdated to 1 March for furloughed employees.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ N Barton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by toddmeister View Post
    I'm just wondering as she's technically already been laid-off, will the 80% salary scheme apply to her? I'm sure we'll hear from her employer soon enough but just trying to put her mind at rest in the interim period until it's all clarified
    I did read that this applies to anyone who was on the payroll as of the 28th February, I will try to find a link
    We'll never win the Premier League,
    We'll never win a Cup,
    We'll still follow UNITED !!

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by N Barton View Post
    I did read that this applies to anyone who was on the payroll as of the 28th February, I will try to find a link
    Cheers. I'm trying to find the link, but if you can find it, then please could you send us the link.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ N Barton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by te2008 View Post
    Cheers. I'm trying to find the link, but if you can find it, then please could you send us the link.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk
    Can't find a link so possibly something I heard on the radio 5 daily questions and answer phone in, rather than something I read.
    However, all the write ups about it do state that it can be backdated to 1st March, which would suggest that it is correct that it is anyone on the payroll on the last day of February, which of course was 29th this year.
    We'll never win the Premier League,
    We'll never win a Cup,
    We'll still follow UNITED !!

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Just read that Emirates have reversed their decision to suspend flights worldwide, and are still flying in and out of Thailand. But their website doesn't seem to reflect that and I'm not sure if that article it is accurate.

https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/...ravel-updates/

https://www.rt.com/news/483794-emira...hts-backtrack/
    Last edited by ray8472; 23rd Mar 2020 at 08:44.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ray8472 View Post
    Just read that Emirates have reversed their decision to suspend flights worldwide, and are still flying in and out of Thailand. But their website doesn't seem to reflect that and I'm not sure if that article it is accurate...
    That travel update you link to was updated at 04:30 GMT today (23 March) and is current. The actual position is:

“Last updated: 23 March 2020, 08:30 Dubai (GMT+4)
    As per the UAE government’s directive, Emirates will temporarily suspend all passenger services for two weeks starting from 25 March 2020. We are very sorry for any inconvenience caused to our customers and travellers. These measures are in place to contain the spread of COVID-19, and we hope to resume services as soon as feasible.”

Emirates did originally partially reverse its decision but the UAE Government subsequently issued a directive banning all transits through the UAE. All flights will be suspended from 25 March.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Blog Entries

Further travel restrictions, both HKG (Hong Kong) and SIN (Singapore) airports are to stop passengers transiting their airports thus further restricting options out of and into Thailand.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by te2008 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by N Barton View Post
    Yes, see my post above (#350) - the grant may be backdated and will be available to cove 80% of the wages for all staff in the relevant business sectors who have been furloughed. By definition, staff can only be furloughed if they were employed at the date of being laid off.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    ...my son and I were thrown out of the pub tonight in the UK, Boris said from midnight, but out local licensee booted us out at 21:00
    Did he boot out the rest of the customers?

Blog Entries

I should point out the the travel restrictions in Dubai are mandated by the UAE government. This means the travel ban will apply to all airports in the country - there will be no flights at all to Dubai or Abu Dhabi.

So to be clear all passenger flights to the UAE are suspended for at least 2 weeks as from Wednesday, 25 March 2020 meaning no Emirates or Etihad services.

I hear Qatar are also considering a similar restriction. Given BA are suspending their service in a few days, and connecting flights in Hong Kong and Singapore are also suspended, there are now very few opportunities to travel between the UK and Thailand.

These suspensions could continue indefinitely, if you want get home then you should to do so as a matter of urgency and before it is too late. If you don't move quickly, you may well be stuck where you are for several months.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

I think some tourists have made the decision to stay here.

I did my 90 day report today. I went to Bluport which is is a Mall in Hua Hin, in which immigration have a small sub branch of their main office and where they provide a small range of services, 90 day reports for expats, plus visa extensions and a couple of other services for tourists, thus saving the trip to the main office, which is awkward to get to from town (but near me, I just prefer Bluport, it's friendlier).

There was a time when this place was empty and you would be in and out in a minute, But recently, it has been busy with tourists and they all seem to want to extend their stay. I guess if retired and with the funds - most were elderly - then faced with a choice of staying here or returning to their home Country, they would prefer to stay here?

Same as where I live, some of the 'snowflakes' who come here for the European winter, before returning home in the summer. seem not to be going. I chatted to a German guy I know earlier and he said he will not be returning until safe to do so. I hope for my sake his trust is Thailand is justified!!!
    'Tis me

Old Hand มือเก่า

Your last sentence is very poignant indeed. I hope I'm wrong but shutting a city like BK down then allowing a mass exodus to spread nationwide on public transport seems like one of the most idiotic domestic policies I've ever witnessed. Talk about encourage panic and hysteria plus the potential spread of a virus which will now undoubtedly be impossible to trace and contain. At the last hurdle this mob have shown their true hand. they're well out of the depth.

What is happening to tourists who's visa is up and need to renew? Are there measures in place to ensure visa runs are put on hold?