Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  116
Likes Likes:  419
Dislikes Dislikes:  7
Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 LastLast
    Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

Saw this today.
    Imagine you were born in 1900.

When you're 14, World War I begins and ends when you're 18 with 22 million dead.

Soon after a global pandemic, the Spanish Flu, appears, killing 50 million people. And you're alive and 20 years old.

When you're 29 you survive the global economic crisis that started with the collapse of the New York Stock Exchange, causing inflation, unemployment and famine.

When you're 33 years old the nazis come to power.

When you're 39, World War II begins and ends when you're 45 years old with a 60 million dead. In the Holocaust 6 million Jews die.

When you're 52, the Korean War begins.
    When you're 64, the Vietnam War begins and ends when you're 75.

A child born in 1985 thinks his grandparents have no idea how difficult life is, but they have survived several wars and catastrophes.

Today we have all the comforts in a new world, amid a new pandemic. But we complain because we need to wear masks. We complain because we must stay confined to our homes where we have food, electricity, running water, wifi, even Netflix! None of that existed back in the day. But humanity survived those circumstances and never lost their joy of living.

A small change in our perspective can generate miracles. We should be thankful that we are alive. We should do everything we need to do to protect and help each other.

This message should reach everyone. Please help me spread it.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

We teach history in schools so that people can learn from the past. Unfortunately it seems that many people have to have had first hand experience of difficult times to appreciate the good things about the UK. There is a whole generation now that are a life time away from any real crisis so the comforts of our modern world are just the norm I guess

I love that post Jimmbo.

My granddad is 98 and although He missed the 77 million dead in the first two disasters in your list he has still seen and known a ridiculous amount of hardships and human misery. Despite all the absolute horrors he has endured he still has an incredible zest for life and is easily the most kind and outgoing person I know.
    He will occasionally comment on things saying things about me being soft/made of different stuff/not knowing what being hungry or struggling really means etc...
    Sadly, it's all true. Millennials and Gen X have grown to be completely reliant on instant gratification in every aspect of life. When things are suddenly harder to come by because of this outbreak all hell breaks loose.

A few embarrassing examples include:

Videos of celebrities literally crying in their mansions because they can't go out
    Every man and his donkey self diagnosing anxiety/depression
    Panic buying
    Price gouging
    Protesting (for various reasons)
    Drivers speeding everywhere
    Massive amounts of aggression

Meanwhile, my granddad just sits chuckling at it all eating his choc ices

In summary: Old boys think we are all soft. They are probably right.

On a separate issue which I actually came here to post about before Jimbbo set me off!

My wife and I are now pressing charges against a man who was in a corona-rage about carrots in Asda.

Wife was looking at bagged carrots. She picked up and rejected two bags as they had a load of mangy looking ones in. Angry fat man comes over and starts shouting extremely racist things at her (Tobias would ban me if I wrote them!!). I walked over and asked what the problem is at which point he began shouting at me about how "they" have no common sense and how we are in the middle of a pandemic. He proceeded to square up to me whilst literally spraying his words and generally salivating everywhere. At this point my wife and I walked away with him screaming "how much did you buy her for? probably a hooker anyway".

This delightful gentleman had the good grace to give this performance with his full work uniform on. He is now up for assault and hate crimes.
    My wife will be advising the police of her substantial financial losses prior to going to court.

I now have an extremely upset Mrs. It's a damn good job she has been here nearly 7 years without this happening before or I think she would have been on the first flight back.

I wish people would just chill the hell out. So much unnecessary rage.

Walshie,

That's really shocking! As it was in Asda you want to also make a complaint to them if you haven't already and request that they make the CCTV available to the Police as part of your complaint.

Hope justice gets served and time is a good healer for you both.

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by walshie View Post
    I love that post Jimmbo.

My granddad is 98 and although He missed the 77 million dead in the first two disasters in your list he has still seen and known a ridiculous amount of hardships and human misery. Despite all the absolute horrors he has endured he still has an incredible zest for life and is easily the most kind and outgoing person I know.
    He will occasionally comment on things saying things about me being soft/made of different stuff/not knowing what being hungry or struggling really means etc...
    Sadly, it's all true. Millennials and Gen X have grown to be completely reliant on instant gratification in every aspect of life. When things are suddenly harder to come by because of this outbreak all hell breaks loose.

A few embarrassing examples include:

Videos of celebrities literally crying in their mansions because they can't go out
    Every man and his donkey self diagnosing anxiety/depression
    Panic buying
    Price gouging
    Protesting (for various reasons)
    Drivers speeding everywhere
    Massive amounts of aggression

Meanwhile, my granddad just sits chuckling at it all eating his choc ices

In summary: Old boys think we are all soft. They are probably right.

On a separate issue which I actually came here to post about before Jimbbo set me off!

My wife and I are now pressing charges against a man who was in a corona-rage about carrots in Asda.

Wife was looking at bagged carrots. She picked up and rejected two bags as they had a load of mangy looking ones in. Angry fat man comes over and starts shouting extremely racist things at her (Tobias would ban me if I wrote them!!). I walked over and asked what the problem is at which point he began shouting at me about how "they" have no common sense and how we are in the middle of a pandemic. He proceeded to square up to me whilst literally spraying his words and generally salivating everywhere. At this point my wife and I walked away with him screaming "how much did you buy her for? probably a hooker anyway".

This delightful gentleman had the good grace to give this performance with his full work uniform on. He is now up for assault and hate crimes.
    My wife will be advising the police of her substantial financial losses prior to going to court.

I now have an extremely upset Mrs. It's a damn good job she has been here nearly 7 years without this happening before or I think she would have been on the first flight back.

I wish people would just chill the hell out. So much unnecessary rage.

That's shocking. I hope he gets the book thrown at him.

If there is a positive to draw from this, where your wife is concerned, it's that in the UK this bevaviour is not tolerated and punishment will be sought out. In Thailand, if you were verbally abused nothing would happen. Domestic abuse is still seen as a dispute that doesn't require police assistance. My missus and most others would want to return also but in reality the UK in general stand up to cowardly scum like that.

Oddly enough, when we lived in the UK a member of staff from ASDA was following my missus around the make-up aisle as my son was rearranging all the eye pencils into different colours. I asked her what she was looking at and she replied, "we get lots of those stealing in here." She had no idea that I was her husband. Sadly, it never goes away does it? There's always one berk around the corner.

Cheers guys. The police have already been and reviewed the CCTV. They have said they are putting a still image of him on social media. They will also be visiting the company whos logo was printed in large capital letters on his uniform.
    I have to say I was actually surprised how seriously the police have been taking it. I called thinking I'm wasting my time here but apparently due to the current climate they are taking these sorts of incidents extremely seriously. The officer was round at ours first thing the next morning to take statements. He advised us that assuming they catch the guy, it's highly likely they will throw the book at him.
    They had a counsellor ring me two days after the incident wanting to talk to my wife. She said incidents like this can be deeply emotionally scarring particularly for foreign individuals.

My Mrs is now concerned that people in the UK view her in this way but are too polite to say anything. She has now dropped from 48 hours a week at work to 24. She is worried to go to the supermarket as well. I'm sure she will recover but in the mean time I am having to manage her emotions a bit more.

As long as there is stupidity there will be racism. The COVID pandemic has simply lifted the lid off and let out the stupid.

Walshie,

Sorry to her about this full on 'in your face' confrontation. You did well to restrain yourself..

I'm glad you mentioned this though. Whilst my wife was still only my girlfriend and visiting me on a Schengen visa, we were out one evening in Dusseldorf in an Irish Bar and Rose said to me that she felt people were looking at us both. Maybe I had one too many Kilkenny's and should have perhaps toned it down but I felt that was the moment to tell her and warn her of what may happen in the future with the attitudes of particularly the Brits and also the Germans and how they have this general perception of Thai women and particular a European with a Thai wife etc. Needless to say the tears started to flow and she got very upset, then I got upset and then she said she didn't want people to think bad of me for being with her etc....but 30 mins later, we were both good again and I'm hoping, just hoping that heaven forbid we encounter an individual like Walshie bumped into, then at least she will be prepared to deal with that situation.

Your Grandad sounds like a legend. I don't think I've ever met an impolite pensioner, maybe a few mad ones, but certainly they all have fantastic manners and grace about them. It makes you wonder why we felt the need to change and to a degree ban all forms of discipline from the School and life in general. From what we know about our grandparents, parents and for some of us even, getting the occasional beating, slap or two ,never did us any harm to get us back into line. Maybe I'm a dinosaur, but our Grandparents generation will be sorely missed in my opinion...

My headmaster was famous for giving the cane back hand style. He could whip it around with a gusto and you could clearly hear the whistle in the wind as it approached your backside. The books down the trousers thing is a myth by the way. Not many us wanted to return to see the headmaster for more discipline. He always used to say afterwards that it was a lesson well learned .
    Quote Originally Posted by Baz M View Post
    Walshie,

Sorry to her about this full on 'in your face' confrontation. You did well to restrain yourself..

I'm glad you mentioned this though. Whilst my wife was still only my girlfriend and visiting me on a Schengen visa, we were out one evening in Dusseldorf in an Irish Bar and Rose said to me that she felt people were looking at us both. Maybe I had one too many Kilkenny's and should have perhaps toned it down but I felt that was the moment to tell her and warn her of what may happen in the future with the attitudes of particularly the Brits and also the Germans and how they have this general perception of Thai women and particular a European with a Thai wife etc. Needless to say the tears started to flow and she got very upset, then I got upset and then she said she didn't want people to think bad of me for being with her etc....but 30 mins later, we were both good again and I'm hoping, just hoping that heaven forbid we encounter an individual like Walshie bumped into, then at least she will be prepared to deal with that situation.

Your Grandad sounds like a legend. I don't think I've ever met an impolite pensioner, maybe a few mad ones, but certainly they all have fantastic manners and grace about them. It makes you wonder why we felt the need to change and to a degree ban all forms of discipline from the School and life in general. From what we know about our grandparents, parents and for some of us even, getting the occasional beating, slap or two ,never did us any harm to get us back into line. Maybe I'm a dinosaur, but our Grandparents generation will be sorely missed in my opinion...
    Last edited by nickj1000; 2nd Jul 2020 at 14:07.

Old Hand มือเก่า

I'm 100% behind what you're saying about discipline and the lack of it nowadays. I'm educated to fairly high standard academically but the best education I ever received was from my dad, grandparents and the men I worked with alongside my dad growing up. Men with experience of life and all it has to throw at us. That stuff stands out now and I can recognize it in others who hold similar values and standards

I must say I don't see any window for hitting kids however. I was given the slipper and all from my mum and whilst I learnt my lesson pretty quickly I look at my boys and the kids I teach and the thought of somebody my size smacking such a small being makes my stomach churn. I was taught the error of my ways through fear of not repeating it which works, in some ways, but my dad never needed to lay a hand on any of us, the disappointment in his face alone made me want to be a better person.

Old Hand มือเก่า
    ต้องการนักแปล

I would have decked him there and then ,thats me thore ,,,,the guy in asda
    imagine them little birds flying around someones head ..
    Now i am going to say something here maybe Mr t might remove but i hope not as this is sort of backed up in stats .
    Local lock downs
    Leicester
    and the next zones are
    Barnsley
    Bradford
    Rochdale
    now i am not going to say anything about these zones as i do not understand political correctness ..and can not separate the true facts from being labelled something .you can make your own minds up ............
    and i saw the post as well about history in our country .
    I should imagine some people NEED TO WATCH BLOOD DIAMOND .and Black hawk down ..now i am not going label all the same ie blood diamond a powerful movie
    before bending a knee .
    All i say is little devil on the right shoulder and little angel on the left .we as people choose what way and we do not need someone to tell us OR BRAIN WASH US .
    Last edited by Samsung; 2nd Jul 2020 at 21:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Samsung View Post
    I would have decked him there and then ,thats me thore ,,,,the guy in asda
    imagine them little birds flying around someones head ..
    The police said exactly the same thing. My main concern was my future plans being put in jeopardy by having a record hanging around my neck. My ideal career path would not benefit well with a GBH charge.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mother in law got an invitation from the embassy today to fly back on Sunday 19th July for £708 with EVA air. My wife has taken them up on the offer as Netflights are taking too long to respond regarding rebooking/refund (apart from telling me they probably wont give a refund)! It's a disgusting amount for a one way economy ticket. I will never ever ever fly EVA air again.

We are driving to the Thai Embassy in London on the morning of her flight so she can get a "fit to fly" certificate which is apparently now required. My GP office can do this but they were wanting around £150 and all of her documents translating to do it.

Does anyone know if there is parking outside the embassy? It's been a few years since I have been so can't really remember. Or maybe it is easier to park at Heathrow and get the tube in then back? I'm not really a big city guy so the driving in central London does cause a bit of a worry!

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

There are meters near Embassy. Not cheap if I recall. Don't forget congestion charge, 15 quid at present.

Around where I live most public parking is free on Sundays. It wouldn't surprise me if it was different in London though!!

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

On street parking on Sundays I think is free, but congestion charge applies on Sundays now.

Never hit my kids either but we have gone from over discipline to fear of giving discipline. It reflects in the policing as well, police who have to control situations but be seen to be equitable and showing restraint to the point that they get hurt trying to control crowds. On the other side of the coin of course you have the likes of Boris Johnson's father slipping over to Greece despite government advice so I guess not everything can be put in one box
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnet View Post
    I'm 100% behind what you're saying about discipline and the lack of it nowadays. I'm educated to fairly high standard academically but the best education I ever received was from my dad, grandparents and the men I worked with alongside my dad growing up. Men with experience of life and all it has to throw at us. That stuff stands out now and I can recognize it in others who hold similar values and standards

I must say I don't see any window for hitting kids however. I was given the slipper and all from my mum and whilst I learnt my lesson pretty quickly I look at my boys and the kids I teach and the thought of somebody my size smacking such a small being makes my stomach churn. I was taught the error of my ways through fear of not repeating it which works, in some ways, but my dad never needed to lay a hand on any of us, the disappointment in his face alone made me want to be a better person.

Old Hand มือเก่า

On Sky news this morning they were talking about the problems with 5G.
    Some countries think that this virus is caused by 5G.
    Now correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last year didn't the USA say that the 5G network is full hacker's.

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by te2008 View Post
    On Sky news this morning they were talking about the problems with 5G.
    Some countries think that this virus is caused by 5G.
    Now correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last year didn't the USA say that the 5G network is full hacker's...
    There were two Skt News stories this morning on 5G, one particularly alarming one relating to the conspiracy theories and misinformation regarding the coronavirus and its spread across the world. I am not aware of any country that believes the coronavirus is spread or COVID-19 is caused by 5g tech. It is scientifically impossible for 5g technology to have any role in the spread of a coronavirus.

The other story, which does have some truth in it is this: UK set to phase out Huawei from 5G network in major U-turn

"The UK is poised to end the use of Huawei technology in its 5G network as soon as this year over security concerns.

Boris Johnson is set for a major policy change after GCHQ is believed to have reassessed the risks posed by the Chinese company."

Note the risks mentioned by GCHQ are security risks and nothing at all to do with the coronavirus or COVID-19.
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.

Old Hand มือเก่า
    ต้องการนักแปล

Correct Mr T , But indirectly .
    ie :
    RUNS THE WORLD .
    NO CASH PAYMENTS
    TRACK AND TRACE
    TAXES MONITORED
    CARS DRIVEN
    KNOWING WERE EVERYONE IS
    WHO IS WHERE AND WHEN
    BANK ACCOUNTS
    NO BLACK MARKET
    CARD PAYMENTS
    APPS FOR THIS APPS FOR THAT BLAH BLAH
    WE ARE GOING TOWARDS A CHIP AND PIN IN YOURSELF .
    just a matter of time and 5 G WILL BE THE INFRASTRUCTURE BEHIND THIS ,,,,,,
    IE MAKE THE POPULATION GO BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    OR CONTROL THEM MASK ON MASK OFF
    WASH HANDS DONT WASH HANDS
    SHUT DOWN STAY OPEN
    GO OUT STAY IN
    FLIGHTS OUT NO FLIGHTS IN
    QUARANTINE /NO QUARANTINE
    5 g can run the world and will bring internet to everyone its intrusive and a downright menace why has certain people said that about the Chinese,
    BUT GOOGLE AND MICROSOFT AND APPLE ARE OK GET A GRIP THEY ARE AT IT AS WELL TRACKING WHAT YOU SEARCH AND DO .
    INDIRECTLY 5 G COULD BE THE CAUSE AS ITS THE MOST SORT AFTER TECH ANY GOVERNMENT WANTS .
    Control the Net you have a big SLICE OF THE WORLD .

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

PLUS i have never seen a bird land on the mast in the builders yard just behind me same as a freind i was talking to about this he informed me off the same result for the last 12 months i wonder WHY???????????
    If only them damn magpies could talk

mallorca in spain.jpgMallorca , Spain. Nothing like a bit of light relief from coronavirus.No problems here !

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

But now quarantine when you return to UK