Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  125
Likes Likes:  480
Dislikes Dislikes:  10
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Old Hand มือเก่า

There's more chance catching it in a supermarket than a restaurant no?

We were out in Roiet today and the place was heaving. The kid's play area was superbly sanitized. The annual Red Cross Fair in Kalasin is also buzzing.

WHO also said that the biggest threat to mankind that the virus carries is fear. In all honesty, yes this is a very scary situation and deadly in some instances but very,very little is being reported to give folk hope. If a terrorist bombs London the morons come out and say "Life will go on. We shall not give in. We shall continue to walk without fear." In reality, I was petrified of public places when all those attacks were occurring a few years back. If some nutter decides to go off on one there's nothing I can do to protect myself or my family. This virus in reality has a mortality rate of 1%. It can be treated at home I read today. That was kept quiet. In the same article I read that a vaccination is in advanced stages and may well be released earlier than scheduled.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be vigilant and up our cleanliness but for heaven's sake surely some examples of how the human race is overcoming it wouldn't go a miss.

Barnet, you have hit the nail on the head there. I have not come across a single article by a mainstream media outlet that isnt projecting fear and chaos.

On another somewhat related note,

My mum is a dental nurse, between each patient, both dentist and nurse have to change to a new face mask. there are 5 dentists and 5 nurses at her place seeing up to 10 patients a day. 100 masks per day. They have been limited to buying 3 boxes of 100 per week. She says they have a small amount of stock left but they will soon have to start canceling/rescheduling appointments.

I am working at a couples house who are extremely wealthy, privately educated and genuinely down to earth. This hysteria has got to them as a delivery came with boxes and boxes of tinned food, bottled water, masks you name it they had bought it. I just raised my eyebrows and she said something to the effect of "dont come knocking when youve got nothing to feed your family when this virus really takes off" ...needless to say I reminded her I would not be knocking if we were in such a situation

It really is scary how far reaching the hysteria is. It is so clearly caused by the media.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

I think it depends on your perspective. If you have vulnerable people in your family such as elderly parents then it is of more concern if you leave yourself at some risk if you pass something onto them. If you are fit it seems that you are likely to cope with it without a major problem
    Quote Originally Posted by walshie View Post
    Barnet, you have hit the nail on the head there. I have not come across a single article by a mainstream media outlet that isnt projecting fear and chaos.

On another somewhat related note,

My mum is a dental nurse, between each patient, both dentist and nurse have to change to a new face mask. there are 5 dentists and 5 nurses at her place seeing up to 10 patients a day. 100 masks per day. They have been limited to buying 3 boxes of 100 per week. She says they have a small amount of stock left but they will soon have to start canceling/rescheduling appointments.

I am working at a couples house who are extremely wealthy, privately educated and genuinely down to earth. This hysteria has got to them as a delivery came with boxes and boxes of tinned food, bottled water, masks you name it they had bought it. I just raised my eyebrows and she said something to the effect of "dont come knocking when youve got nothing to feed your family when this virus really takes off" ...needless to say I reminded her I would not be knocking if we were in such a situation

It really is scary how far reaching the hysteria is. It is so clearly caused by the media.

Went to Makro and Big C yesterday at Sattahip. Walked straight into Makro which wasn't busy, but after shopping I took the trolley back and noticed a big queue wanting to enter. It appeared they were taking peoples temperature on entry. Don't really think it is a very effective indicator of the virus as the incubation period appears to be quite a few days. Big C was much busier with its restaurants and cinema no one checking here. Wonder if it really is worthwhile testing like this as it increases panic.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Lonerider's Avatar
    Yorkshireman divided between Chum Phae & Iraq

I am getting fed up of all the fuss to be honest...media scare mongering is getting annoying.
    Obviously I dont want to catch it, just the same as I dont want to catch cold, flu, pneumonia, measles, HIV etc etc. but come on!
    Some good information on this site....
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

also on another page of the site at the top is the coronavirus/flu body count
    https://www.worldometers.info/

They seem to get all their info from reputable sources

My mum is a dental nurse, between each patient, both dentist and nurse have to change to a new face mask. there are 5 dentists and 5 nurses at her place seeing up to 10 patients a day. 100 masks per day.
    When I was a kid no dentist wore a mask nor rubber gloves and definitely no plastic face shields ???? I cannot remember when it changed but no one died.

Now re Covid-19 I am 62 this year have diabetes plus a heart attack 2 years ago and just now a nagging cold , I am not worried at all except for some moron might cancel our upcoming holiday through fear and because the stock market has died a death potentially impacting my plans to give up work
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

imho so much panic over nothing. I've 8 days in Majorca booked for mid June, gonna be mighty pee'd off it it gets impacted by this.

If I see anyone wearing a mask here, I will just laugh at them.
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Old Hand มือเก่า

There is a lot of people out there who need to switch off all electronic devices, give the media a total blank out for 48 hours and chill out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by -Keith- View Post
    imho so much panic over nothing...
    I think it is a lot more than nothing! But I agree, some parts of the media are instilling fear (not helped by the wave of disinformation on social media) and it most certainly doesn't help when the UK's health secretary goes on BBC TV and declares "... half a million people in the UK could die in the event of a flu pandemic was a “reasonable worst-case scenario”.". Whilst that statement may have some credence (and it was about 'flu'), saying it on TV in the context of this coronavirus does nothing but to feed the fear.

One of my colleagues works in China; he's Luxembourgian and left Luxembourg yesterday to return to Tao. I've just discovered he chose to fly back to China via Heathrow and Seoul (Korea) and on to Tao. His flight landed 90 minutes ago and the aircraft was left at a remote stand with the doors closed. He has just been told all passengers and crew are being quarantined for 14 days!

There are so few options to fly to mainland china that he chose a connection that passes through a higher-risk country, ergo 14 days in a Chinese quarantine facility.
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.

Blog Entries

Thailand has report its first death associated with the COVID-19 virus, this was one of the patients on the 'serious/critical' list.

Here are some of the facts released by the Thai authorities:

- The 35-year-old male retail worker had dengue fever and Covid-19 virus

- This was a case of local transmission, and he was at risk because he had exposure to Chinese tourists

- He had been hospitalised since Feb 16 and died on Saturday (29 Feb) after multiple organ failure

- Given the patient had dengue fever, the Public Health Ministry is still looking into the role played by the coronavirus in the fatality

- Tests for the coronavirus came back negative since Feb 16 but “the damage was already done to his body” from the earlier bout of infection by the new disease

The Thai Department for Disease Control ("DDC") say one patient remains in a serious condition and doctors are closely monitoring the patient.

The DDC repeated a warning on Sunday that any persons suspected of infecting the virus are required to contact public health officials within three hours, according to the dangerous communicable disease announcement that took effect on Sunday.

Source: Bangkok Post Thailand records first coronavirus death
    Tobias - โทเบียส

The special announcement Re - Dept for Disease Control (TH) pdf : 29FB20.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumoni...5_290263_1.pdf
    bangkok mags

The King of Thailand has stated that anybody who is ill that does not admit to having travelled to arisk area or thinks they may have been at risk etc will go to jail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Thailand has report its first death associated with the COVID-19 virus, this was one of the patients on the 'serious/critical' list.

Here are some of the facts released by the Thai authorities:

- The 35-year-old male retail worker had dengue fever and Covid-19 virus

- This was a case of local transmission, and he was at risk because he had exposure to Chinese tourists

- He had been hospitalised since Feb 16 and died on Saturday (29 Feb) after multiple organ failure

- Given the patient had dengue fever, the Public Health Ministry is still looking into the role played by the coronavirus in the fatality

- Tests for the coronavirus came back negative since Feb 16 but “the damage was already done to his body” from the earlier bout of infection by the new disease

The Thai Department for Disease Control ("DDC") say one patient remains in a serious condition and doctors are closely monitoring the patient.

The DDC repeated a warning on Sunday that any persons suspected of infecting the virus are required to contact public health officials within three hours, according to the dangerous communicable disease announcement that took effect on Sunday.

Source: Bangkok Post Thailand records first coronavirus death
    - - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

And yet i saw a youtube video from someone's phone filming there return from italy in heathrow expecting checks and they walked straight through
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I think it is a lot more than nothing! But I agree, some parts of the media are instilling fear (not helped by the wave of disinformation on social media) and it most certainly doesn't help when the UK's health secretary goes on BBC TV and declares "... half a million people in the UK could die in the event of a flu pandemic was a “reasonable worst-case scenario”.". Whilst that statement may have some credence (and it was about 'flu'), saying it on TV in the context of this coronavirus does nothing but to feed the fear.

One of my colleagues works in China; he's Luxembourgian and left Luxembourg yesterday to return to Tao. I've just discovered he chose to fly back to China via Heathrow and Seoul (Korea) and on to Tao. His flight landed 90 minutes ago and the aircraft was left at a remote stand with the doors closed. He has just been told all passengers and crew are being quarantined for 14 days!

There are so few options to fly to mainland china that he chose a connection that passes through a higher-risk country, ergo 14 days in a Chinese quarantine facility.

We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.

Old Hand มือเก่า

Thailand Moto GP postponed, a day after Qatar announce season opener to be cancelled.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsp...2f3a06f64bdd85

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nickj1000 View Post
    The King of Thailand has stated that anybody who is ill that does not admit to having travelled to arisk area or thinks they may have been at risk etc will go to jail...
    I can see how such a law could have efficacy, do you have a link to this pronouncement/announcement?

Quote Originally Posted by nickj1000 View Post
    ... And yet i saw a youtube video from someone's phone filming there return from italy in heathrow expecting checks and they walked straight through
    With the exception to the (now suspended) flights from Wuhan, I don't think the UK has carried out any coronavirus checks at the UK border. It sort of makes sense as those carrying the virus only show symptoms after several days of incubation. Those displaying symptoms would likely be refused boarding at the originating airport or cabin crew would report their concerns of a passenger showing any symptoms. In that situation the aircraft would be met by the relevant medical team on arrival.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์

Quote Originally Posted by caller View Post
    .. No evidence of any change in behaviour here.
    People are still plonking raw meat on top of the pieces that are ready to take off the barbecue then? That used to drive me mad. And then they'd wonder why they were sick the next day.

What I've seen in the UK is that more people are suddenly washing their hands and keeping surfaces clean and generally being more aware of hygiene procedures. Which they should have been doing anyway! Thousands of people die of normal flu and infections because of negligence in these areas.

Member สมาชิก

To guys that seem re assured when they go out that everything is peachy because people seem healthy and dont wear masks. I would point out that most of those people wont wear a seat belt or crash helmet and we all know how that story ends.
    Please dont be sheeple people

Wearing masks has no protective effect and only prevents spreading of infection if you are infected.

Advice is sneeze cough etc into a tissue and bin the tissue then wash hands so a mask simply stores up the virus

Seat belts and crash helmets only became necessary in the 60's in the UK and have saved lives since then but its a poor analogy
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Old Hand มือเก่า

All of a sudden the first fatality in Thailand is being twisted towards a victim of Dengue Fever rather than the virus itself. The nurse who treated him also came down with the infection shortly after.

Just looking at some of the stats. in 2019 there were around 45,000 Dengue Fever cases resulting in just over 60 deaths. The majority of death is sadly found in children between 5 and 14 years old followed by a minority up to 34. The overwhelming majority are in the North Eastern region and again infants.

Now who am I to claim that a nation hell bent on bringing in the tourist cash at any cost whilst continually shirking responsibility for any fatalities or accidents would be among others trying to play down any links to the virus? Just a thought but when faced with a potential pandemic transparency and truth is essential. This does not seem to carry either.

Member สมาชิก

By your own admission a mask can protect a carrier from passing on the virus to others.