Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  87
Likes Likes:  318
Dislikes Dislikes:  6
Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    These suspensions could continue indefinitely, if you want get home then you should to do so as a matter of urgency and before it is too late. If you don't move quickly, you may well be stuck where you are for several months.
    I would love to have got stuck there, I can work remotely. But I returned last month before all this got very serious.

Blog Entries

Britons who are currently travelling abroad are being urged to return to the UK now.

The foreign secretary says tourists and short-stay travellers should come home while commercial flights remain available.

"Today's update reflects the pace at which international travel is becoming more difficult with the closure of borders, airlines suspending flights, airports closing, exit bans and further restrictions being introduced daily," the Foreign and Commonwealth Office said.

Its statement warned that further closures to air routes may come in the next 48 hours, possibly without notice.

Some British tourists abroad have already experienced difficulty returning to the UK because of these restrictions.

Last week, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office announced "an unprecedented change" in travel advice - urging against all but essential international travel for 30 days.
    http://news.sky.com/story/coronaviru...k-now-11962534
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    Stay home. Stay alert. Save lives.

Member สมาชิก

Borris to address the nation at 8.30pm. Could be announcing a lock down.

So... I have been left wondering about the builders merchants now. The ones around here had started delivery only services as of today. Are construction materials non essential? I’ve read a few threads online about it being considered essential in some countries and not in others. I suppose I will find out tomorrow!!

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by walshie View Post
    So... I have been left wondering about the builders merchants now. The ones around here had started delivery only services as of today. Are construction materials non essential? I’ve read a few threads online about it being considered essential in some countries and not in others. I suppose I will find out tomorrow!!
    Well, my business is mainly manufacturing compost to growers, both commercial and amateur growers. They don't just grow plants but also fruit and veg for local farm shops etc etc. My staff, about 25% have already informed me they are not comming in as they say I am not classed as essential, looks like some of my staff are making the decisions for me.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ toddmeister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I work for a national electrical wholesaler to the trade. We can't work from home but (from today) have put in place split shifts etc to reduce the impact on staff. We had a memo from head office today confirming we are classed as key workers as we form part of the supply chain for hospitals, infrastructure etc.
    Over the past week or so lots of our customers have had jobs cancelled, been kicked off site etc. so it's been gradually getting quieter and quieter at work. It's a strange one as the new measures announced tonight will effectively stop our "bread & butter" customers from working and it seems crazy to have a full staff in work. I guess we'll still have to open to potentially supply contractors working in hospitals etc. I'll find out more in the morning

well Travis Perkins have released a statement saying they are closing all of their branches (including any other companies they own)
    They are easily the biggest material supplier in the country. Lets see if all the others follow suit.

Our house is currently on the market, but I think this means the real estate industry shuts down. Even if agents work from home, are they allowed to conduct viewings ? I've emailed the agent to find out what is happening.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ray8472 View Post
    Our house is currently on the market, but I think this means the real estate industry shuts down. Even if agents work from home, are they allowed to conduct viewings ? ...
    No, this comes under the banner of 'unessential' and all viewings should stop.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Yes that was my view. Fortunately we are flexible, we can just take it off the market and put it back on later in the year or even next year. I feel sorry for those who have to sell in the short term for whatever reason.

Blog Entries

well Travis Perkins have released a statement saying they are closing all of their branches (including any other companies they own)
    They are easily the biggest material supplier in the country. Lets see if all the others follow suit.
    My employer sticking with the line that we are "key workers" so as it stands open as normal for us. We did have an email saying non-essential staff are to be sent home.....the problem we have is that 3x of our branches staff are now self-isolating, so we're pretty much only left with "essential" staff anyway. The staff that are left are operating on a split shift, half doing mornings then the rest of us afternoons.

To be honest, today I haven't noticed much difference since the "lockdown." We went to do a shop this morning to get us through the rest of the week and there were plenty of people about. Supermarket had a security guard on the door allowing people in 2 or 3 at a time. We've had a steady stream of contractors through our door and phones are still ringing. Other than a few sites closing it seems very much business as usual

Screwfix are open for "essential items" but B&Q are shut.
    aka Spud / aka MF

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by manfarang View Post
    ... but B&Q are shut.
    Apparently, after discussion with the Home Office, they will be reopening tomorrow (to sell 'essential' items).
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Blog Entries

No doubt to cater for all those isolating husbands who suddenly have no excuse not to do the DIY jobs they've been putting off for years

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Essex boys's Avatar

I have a company near me in france called 'Weldom' they are pretty much like a wickes back home, they have been closed for two weeks to comply with the french ruling, but they were open this morning

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Apparently, after discussion with the Home Office, they will be reopening tomorrow (to sell 'essential' items).
    I have to say that I think some of it is getting a bit silly. Plumbworld shut but Screwfix open. Especially when you see media reports of people crowded like sardines on London underground. London is the main epicentre for the virus and that is where the main focus should be, not shutting down the rest of the country.
    aka Spud / aka MF

The whole country needs to shutdown, just because London is the epicentre doesn't mean every where else can carry on as normal, unfortunately there is something in the uk mentality that says it won't happen to us god knows why we have this mentality in the next few weeks you will see the death toll rise in the uk because of this mentality. Good luck with it, thankfully I'm stuck in france where they are treating this seriously and the french public are behaving with respect of their government and this virus, all this talk of B&Q or screwfix are open, they should all be shut, you just know that the builders on sites all have this 'it won't happen to me' attitude, I'm afraid it's going to take many more people in the uk to die before idiots realise everything should be shut except supermarkets, pharmacies, gas stations and hospitals.....

Blog Entries

Sorry but I don't think it is a case of "it'll never happen to me" maybe in the early days of the outbreak but certainly not now. As an employee of a company supplying to trade and not really understanding why we are still open....I believe it's much more a case of employees not wanting to go to work, but being too afraid to say anything for fear of losing their jobs which sadly is a real possibility. As wrong as it is, there is also an underlying fear that those who choose to (voluntarily) isolate, will be the first to face redundancies when the time comes...and it will definitely come. The only way to truly stop people will be a total lockdown, giving employers no choice but to close.

If this is the current mentality in the uk then there is something wrong!! There have been 87 deaths today in the uk.....but still the uk population does not care, I'm not going to post on this subject any more as it's going to get me banned....good luck to you all and your misguided beliefs, no doubt I will get slagged off for my comments but I don't care, if you are so thick that you think building a house etc is more important than stopping this virus then you deserve all that's coming your way...that's the last word on this subject from me slag me off if you want it will just show your ignorance

Thats exactly the case Toddmeister. I do not want to be at work anymore. People on site are not washing their hands and keep trying to use my tools. Another bloke spitting all over the place. There are a lot of morons in the building trade.
    My boss said to me today what do you think we should do. I told him I am now at a stage where I am uncomfortable coming to work and asked him to down tools for us all. He says "thats easy for you to say but who pays my wages?"

His next bright idea comes along when he wants me to sign to furlough my employment but wants me to keep coming to work so he can get "double bubble"

It's this sort of attitude that is RIFE in construction. "Screw everyones safety if I can make a few quid".

I am so releived to be on a track to get myself out of this industry.

Note: there is one merchants open near me who are offering a delivery only service. Whilst this is convenient for one man bands their insistance on opening is putting people like me at risk

Essex boys,your post does seem quite aggressive. Please try not to forget that most of the people who work in construction have been foresaken by boris's bailout as nearly everyone is self employed.
    I would also remind you that construction workers are mostly low paid and live hand to mouth at all times with kids to feed and bills to pay. I suspect if boris releases a help package for the self empoyed you will see a lot less building work going on
    Last edited by walshie; 24th Mar 2020 at 19:25.