Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  52
Likes Likes:  202
Dislikes Dislikes:  5
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Old Hand มือเก่า

No your not they have lied and lied thousands infected thousands dead ,,,they have shut a city of 11 million ,,,
    lets look at the most obvious lie NOT ONE CASE IN LAOS ...that says it all .or should i say not one that the communist state want to admit too .,
    There is 11 million people in this city how many reports have you seen about whats going on a DOZEN and then they have disappeared if you believe the Chinese go to never land and find your marbles .

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Member สมาชิก

This is the last link I'll post to this guy but Its definitely a sobering out look from a guy that writes medical literature

Member สมาชิก

I see on the video that he confirms that returning Chinese form holiday to China have to self isolate. And yet the Chinese are still going on holiday. It really is a crazy business. Even if it is contained through current activities there is no getting round the fact that China are exporting the virus to countries willing to risk it. Donald Trump is not my favourite guy for sure but his country is number one for him and he has stopped Chinese entry to the US until the problem is resolved. My country (the UK) on the other hand allows the tourism to continue knowing that there can often be no symptoms for visitors for the for 2 weeks. We are the same as many other countries who have left their holiday borders open in that we do not know how many in the UK now carry this virus and we are playing the waiting and hoping game. The one good note I have seen which ironically comes from a Donald Trump tweet is that the virus seems to thrive in colder weather like SARS and that the warmer weather just like the common flu makes it difficult for the virus to survive. I actually believe him this time :-)

Member สมาชิก

Off to Bangkok tomorrow guys. They recommend wearing facemasks in public areas. Doctors say that it does not help much but actually it does as it stops you transferring the virus from your hands to your mouth if you are in the nail biting habit. They do not mention gloves but i see security are all wearing them so I will do so as well. Not sure this finger print check at immigration is a very good idea though. I am not worried but best to cover all basis. Cheers

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

Why not take some wipes with you and use them on your hand(s) immediately after the scanner at the airport then go wash your hands.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nickj1000 View Post
    Off to Bangkok tomorrow guys. They recommend wearing facemasks in public areas. Doctors say that it does not help much but actually it does as it stops you transferring the virus from your hands to your mouth if you are in the nail biting habit...
    Who are "they"?

The World Health Organisation say masks do not protect you from the virus. They advise:

- If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with suspected 2019-nCoV infection.
    - Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.
    - Masks are effective only when used in combination with frequent hand-cleaning with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
    - If you wear a mask, then you must know how to use it and dispose of it properly.

Here is the advice from the WHO: https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...w-to-use-masks

The Lady Tobias and I returned from Thailand just a couple of days ago, we had no concerns about our health, instead we followed the WHO advice.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Stay home. Stay indoors. Protect the NHS. Save lives.

Off to Bangkok tomorrow guys. They recommend wearing facemasks in public areas. Doctors say that it does not help much but actually it does as it stops you transferring the virus from your hands to your mouth if you are in the nail biting habit. They do not mention gloves but i see security are all wearing them so I will do so as well. Not sure this finger print check at immigration is a very good idea though. I am not worried but best to cover all basis. Cheers
    Went down Baring and La Salle today (South-East Bangkok) never seen anyone wearing a mask apart from the dentist. If Mrs went downtown she would wear a N95 not because of the virus, but the Haze (if needed).
    bangkok mags

Member สมาชิก

Yes, I have wipes and a mask and will wipe the scanner first if they let me i guess. I have a bottle of alcohol hand cleaner. l I have gloves as well which I will have to remove for the scanner. I see from video that the staff and immigration staff are wearing gloves in the airport. Hopefully I have covered all of the basis. When I land I think it is mainly Thai and European arrivals from London Eva air and Thai Airlines which is good news I think (Am I allowed to say this ??).

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Wearing a mask is wise i think in crowded areas just in case. I think the danger of transferring the virus from your hand to your mouth is reduced.

Blog Entries

... Hopefully I have covered all of the basis. When I land I think it is mainly Thai and European arrivals from London Eva air and Thai Airlines which is good news I think (Am I allowed to say this ??).

Wearing a mask is wise i think in crowded areas just in case. I think the danger of transferring the virus from your hand to your mouth is reduced.
    As the Thai's love to say 'up to you'. I think you may be overdoing/overthinking it a bit, and perhaps doing what you are suggesting might actually achieve something rather different to that what you think!

This is what Dr David Powell, the medical advisor to IATA (the International Air Transport Association), says about the virus when asked about wearing masks and gloves:

"... First of all, masks. There’s very limited evidence of benefit, if any, in a casual situation. Masks are useful for those who are unwell to protect other people from them. But wearing a mask all the time will be ineffective. It will allow viruses to be transmitted around it, through it and worse still, if it becomes moist it will encourage the growth of viruses and bacteria.

Gloves are probably even worse, because people put on gloves and then touch everything they would have touched with their hands. So it just becomes another way of transferring micro-organisms. And inside the gloves, your hands get hot and sweaty, which is a really good environment for microbes to grow..."

More of Dr Powell's coronavirus and travel interview here: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...&sref=4ZGeBqkb

EDITED: Just noticed Vinny has also linked to the Bloomberg article - great minds
    Last edited by Tobias; 21st Feb 2020 at 12:33.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Member สมาชิก

Thanks for the info guys. Dully noted. I will feedback the state of play. Cheers

Member สมาชิก

So far so good I have the all clear. Still waiting for Eva air in London. Now planning to leave 1 hour 40 minutes late. Same as last year. You would think I would have learned a lesson ! Well I have now. Thai Airlines next time. :-)

Where I am, masks seem so yesterday!

I actually wonder where they have all gone? Some are still wearing them but the vast majority aren't.

Came as a surprise then, when I went to my eye clinic, to see the doc and his two assistants all wearing masks. That's a first for me, so I asked - they all seem to have mild cold symptoms, hence the masks.
    'Tis me

Old Hand มือเก่า

I am still in Kalasin as the school can't open (despite it's wishes) due to Govt advice. Those still in China are saying that restaurants are serving take away only, supermarkets are pretty much as per usual but people are still very worried. Guards in those scary boiler suits are taking temperatures often which would terrify me let alone my son.

In Kalasin, many, many people are wearing the masks but IMHO I don't think they have a clue why. Again, just my opinion but it seems that many people see it as a 'Chinese disease', which is where it originated from, but it could equally have come from a fresh meat market here. In two years of living in China I have never had food poisoning or bad guts. Living in Thailand however constantly has me legging it to the nearest throne and on many occasions picking up food poisoning. Take a look at Chatuchak market if you think China is the only country guilty of abusing live animals.

I remember years back in London when Halal butchers were found to be tipping the blood down the drains....Like I say, yes this originated in China but in reality the world over is guilty of complete ignorance and negligence when it comes to the meat trade.

I strongly advocate a policy of quarantining tourists arriving from China UNTIL they are cleared (which the huge majority are) rather than this draconian nonsense of a blanket ban. Do those supporting their isolation consider how it must feel to be avoided in public like a plague, told they can't stay, don't touch etc? I have many of my students and their families staying in Thailand until it clears up and oddly enough THEY ARE AS LIKELY TO HAVE IT AS ME AND MY SON!!!!!!!

Maybe those advocating the NO CHINESE ALLOWED should add them to the list above their doors that read NO IRISH. NO BLACKS. NO DOGS...... Oh, my mistake, those signs don't exist out of fear of getting arrested or being given a deserved good hiding. Like all such advocates, they are but measly little cowards.

Member สมาชิก

Well strange story with Eva air. They are late again in heathrow. 2.5 ours Late with no message accept delayed on the signs. Everybody tiered and angry because they are always late. We get on the plane and the captain says they have had a medical emergency with a customer. Heathrow has made them disinfect the whole plane before letting on new passengers otherwise they cannot leave. Got to Bangkok 2.5 hours late and it is quieter than normal you have to use 3 sets of finger prints on the scanners and they do not have hand sanitisers here. You can use toilets afterwards which have good modern soap and water. I have an alcoholic hand cleaner. They do stop Chinese before security for a special check and quickly glance at europeans in case they look ill. I think maybe 30 per cent of people are wearing masks, not many europeans. My Thai girlfriend get a taxi to silom, quick journey as much less cars than normal. She says quite a lot of restaurants have closed for a while until the customers come back. We are in a condo with a lot of Chinese but everybody careful and respectful with sanitisers everywhere in building. So far so good, we are not worried

Member สมาชิก

You say your not worried but it's not as if the virus is going to be a 6 foot green blob firing snot from an AK47.
    You wont know if you've caught it until you've spread it around and start feeling I'll. At which point you wont know where or who you caught it from or who you've spread it too. Your then stuck in a foreign country with overwhelmed medical facilities.
    That's probably around the point most people will be worried and at that point it's too late.

Fingers crossed the virus just goes away but I very much doubt it.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

So far so good, we are not worried
    That's not the impression I get from your previous posts.
    I have friends and family who are currently holidaying in Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and South Korea. I have been following them on facebook, I have yet to hear any of them mention the virus or seen an image of them wearing masks.

https://www.ifpma.org/global-health-...year-globally/

Member สมาชิก

I hope the outcome is better than that

Blog Entries

The flu analogy is a good one.

In the last 3 weeks I've passed through many airports whilst visiting Scandinavia, the Nordics, USA, Thailand, the Middle East and Singapore and not once did I feel any concern for my health. I simply take all the usual precautions as I would to protect myself from Flu. If you look at the statistics, flu is a greater threat to our health when travelling than coronavirus (COVID-19). In the USA alone during this flu season there have been over 29 million illnesses, 280,000 hospitalisations and over 16,000 deaths (including 105 paediatric deaths) from flu.

I have seen some westerners using masks, perhaps a couple of handfuls in total, along with the usual splattering of those of asian descent who often travel with masks irrespective of the current perceived contemporaneous risks. Good personal hygiene with regular use of hand sanitizer will certainly reduce the risk of acquiring these types of viruses and flu.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Member สมาชิก

Tobias you mentioned that not once did you have any concern for your health.
    What might you see that would give you concern ?