Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Essex boys's Avatar

Default Baggage allowance Thai airways

Hi all, anybody know what the checked baggage allowance is in economy? I have flown with Thai airways on many occasions sometimes taking one case and sometimes two cases but they have never been heavy, this time is my last flight and I want to take two cases and max out the weight, I have looked on thai airways web site but it doesn't say if you can take one or two cases I think the weight limit was 23kg per case, I have silver status with star alliance which they say allows me an extra 10kg, is that for both cases or just one case?? It really is vague, I have tried calling Thai airways and they never answer the phone.

i looked at my booking using the Thai airways app and it showed a picture of a case with a 30kg allowance, so do they mean one case at 30kg or each case at 30kg assuming it's two cases allowed

Blog Entries

It’s difficult to say without seeing the conditions of the fare you have purchased. Your e-ticket should state your baggage allowance. If your ticket says 30kg that is the maximum total amount for each passenger, that 30kg allowance can normally be split in to several bags but the total weight must not exceed 30kgs. If your combined luggage weighs more than 30kg then excess baggage charges will be applied.

If your Star Alliance status permits an additional 10kg then that would mean your total weight allowance will be 40kg, that is 40kg in total - not per bag.

So, if there are two passengers then the combined total weight for both passengers’ bags will be 60kg (30kg per passenger) with an extra 10kg for the Silver card holder if the Star Silver permits the additional.
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    Stay home. Stay alert. Save lives.

Hi Tobias, thanks for your reply, I checked on the Thai airways website and after a bit of faffing around I found that I can check in two cases but it looks to me like the weight of each bag can be 23kg.....well whatever it is I'm happy with two cases at 20kg each (I have silver status on star alliance) I have tried many times to call Thai airways in the uk but the phone is either engaged or just rings endlessly. Below is my e-ticket info, it looks like total baggage weight is 30kg but then I have an extra 10kg because of my star alliance silver . E-ticket info won't display on here it just shows as a load of numbers and letters. Anyway, I think I have the answer to my question.
    many thanks
    essexboys
    Last edited by Essex boys; 17th Feb 2020 at 13:05.

Sorry to butt in here. That doesn't sound right. Although ready to be shot down. 30kg or 23kg PER PERSON MAX seems to be the norm for the long haul flights. I would say as Tobias mentioned that you can have 2 bags with a combined weight up to and not exceeding 23kg or 30 kg (or a single bag) not including hand luggage. Whatever it states on your e-ticket. I don't have the Silver Alliance package so don't know about that. Most flights either my wife or myself have flown on to Thailand have been either of those 2 weights.

Hi Baz M, yes I think you are correct in what you say, my ticket says 30kg but because I have silver status with star alliance it looks like I can take 40kg, I will spread this over two cases....

The allowance per person in economy is 30kg, but no individual case can be more than 23kg. If you have 30kg, then you will require 2 cases.
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Hi all, I know the carry on baggage limit is 7.5kg (which almost everyone ignores on Thai airways, have you seen the struggle some people have lifting their '7.5kg' bags into the overhead lockers) is it ok to carry tinned food items in your carry on? Just trying to maximise my carrying capacity....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Essex boys View Post
    ... is it ok to carry tinned food items in your carry on? Just trying to maximise my carrying capacity....
    It depends what's in them. The problem you will have is the LAG regulations, that is the 100ml restriction on liquids, aerosols and gels that can be taken in hand luggage. LAGs include soups, syrups, jams, stews, sauces, creams, pastes and foods in sauces or liquid so even a tin of beans will fall foul of the rules.

What foodstuffs is it you are considering taking in hand luggage?
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    Stay home. Stay alert. Save lives.

Thanks Tobias well it was going to be things like beans, looks like my carry on bag will be full of clothes and books then....