Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Rookie มือใหม่

Default Thai GF incl. two wee Korean kids - Need permanent UK visa

Hi All

I have been living with my Thai gf for 18 months. She came to the UK on a visitor visa Jan 2019 until July, we travelled a bit and then stayed together in Thai until end of 2019, now we are in the UK, again visitor visa good until coming July.

She previously lived in Korea, married to a Korean and has two young kids (about 9 & 7 ish). She is divorced and was for a long while estranged from her ex with no communication to the kids. Now they are communicating and he now says she can take the kids.

These two kids speak only Korean and obv. school there. I don't think either me or her wish to permanently live in Korea. Would we even be allowed to? What about maybe a month, could make transition smoother? What I really need is a visa for gf and kids to simply transfer to UK. I think her ex will sign up to whatever is needed.

All I can think of at the moment is that we get kids out of Korea into Thai, stay in Thai until end of 2020 and then hopefully I can get a ILR visa for my gf and a tourist visa for each of the kids to get us 6 months in the UK, but are they really going to issue a tourist visa to two little kids for six months? and then when I take them to the local school what will happen? Trying to home school them for six months sounds like a pretty naff plan.

However, if we can get them into the UK and into a school then I guess immigration will have not choice but resolve it after the six months? I really feel like I'm scratching around for a way to solve this so any help very much appreciated.

I do not wish to get married. I can evidence relationship, demonstrate level of income and home to live in. Last time I posted here people were very informed and helpful, so thanks in advance.

Cheers - Rich

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ PlymouthNick's Avatar

'Am I missing something, if you aren't getting married how can you get ILR. I cant see how you would get the kids a tourist visa either.

The lack of marriage will cause problems... is there any particular reason your against marriage or just not ready yet?

Even if you managed to get the kids in. As tourists they would not get a place in a school.
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Rookie มือใหม่

I thought (perhaps wrongly) that after we have lived together for 2 years (which will be end of 2020) then the next visa I could get her would be an ILR so she could stay and work.

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

If I got married, there are complications. I have property and kids. She is 19 years younger. Doubt my kids would say anything now, it's bound to cross their minds that if things went wrong, it could go badly wrong. I don't want any chance to brew up a recipe for trouble when I die. I want to write a will that will provide for everybody fairly, as I see it. I have had a 25 years marriage before, I just don't feel right about marrying again, but I do love and believe in my gf and want this to last forever.

Without getting married your future together will be difficult to say the least.
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ PlymouthNick's Avatar

I still can't see you will ever get ILR without getting married. As Keith says the kids won't be allowed to attend school here on a tourist visa. Think you are going to have to re-think your plans.

ILR comes after the end of five years of your wife living in the UK after either two visas (if you get married in Thailand, or three visas if you get married in the UK. You would need the same visas for the kids so you can expect a visa bill of around £30K. Your income has to be quite a bit higher if two kids are coming too.

You’ll need to earn an extra:
    • £3,800 for your first child
    • £2,400 for each child you have after your first child

This is the called the ‘minimum income requirement’.

You can also rely on savings. £62.5K needed with no kids.

As far as I know, the only other visa that will allow her to come in the same way is a partnership visa and you have to live together for two years. Time together on a visit visa doesn't count towards the two years. I doubt very much you could get the kids in school here on visit visas and it's unlikely they could even get visit visas for them if you requested any more than a few weeks in the school holidays.

I take it the Kids are Rep of Korea Citizens, this being the case they are allowed up to 90 days Visa free to Thailand and up to 6 months Visa free entry to the UK, but for tourism purposes ONLY, IE not going to school. And that UK authorities can refuse Visa free entry IF they suspect the trip is for anything else but tourism.
    Is it wise taking two youngsters out of school for an extended period of time, and you state they only speak Korean ? As things stand there is Zero chance of them being admitted to normal education in the UK.
    There are Korean schools in BMR (Bangkok Metropolitan Region) but you would need to pay, then again 90 day tourist Visa is not a student / education Visa.
    The question of can you both live in Rep of Korea, yes subject to the correct immigration status, but you will need residence permits / permission to work etc. IE you will need to satisfy Rep of Korea immigration requirements.
    Rep of Korea currently does not allow dual citizenship except in exceptional circumstances and this is linked to US military for example.IE the kids mam is Thai they cannot hold both Thai and Rep of Korean citizenship or passports.There are many considerations for living as a family unit in Rep of Korea, Thailand and UK.
    One of the problems you face at the moment is your not a legal guardian or have any legal authority for the kids as I see it from the limited information.
    Positives: Visa free travel to UK / Thailand (tourist). Negatives: Schooling / limited communication / immigration status.
    bangkok mags

If you have evidence of living together akin to marriage for at least two years, then she and kids may apply for family visas to enter as an unmarried partner and kids, subject to Appendix FM and FM-SE.

Her kids may be subject to extra financial burdens and sole responsibility, etc. But that’s only the start. It will take five years for them to get ILR.