Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Old Hand มือเก่า

Default Thai Smile Airways [tight connection]

Hi All,
    I booked a flight in November 19 with West East Travel flying with Thai Airways.
    Heathrow to Bangkok and I booked a connection flight with Thai Smile on to Chiang Rai. When I land at BKK time 3.00pm my connection wasn't until 6.00-7.00pm which gave me plenty of time to get my bags and then recheck in with Thai Smile. However. I got an email yesterday from Thai Smile saying that they have cancelled the later flight so the next flight from BKK to chiang Rai is at 16.55pm.

Doesn't give me time to re check in my bags.
    So what can I do next? Change my evening flight with West East Travel for a morning flight or do I have to stay in BKK for one night and then get the morning flight chiang rai.
    Help, help

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Is this itinerary all on one ticket? By that, when you log on to the reservation on the TG website does it show both flights on the reservation?
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Is this itinerary all on one ticket? By that, when you log on to the reservation on the TG website does it show both flights on the reservation?
    No. I booked LHR - BKK, with West East travel. Thai Smile I booked it separately BKK to CHR

Its still worth contacting Thai airways to see if they can check you all the way through on the basis they are the same airline.

This would mean you don't have to exit arrivals and you can just go through transfers...
    Grahame
    เกรแฮม

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ PlymouthNick's Avatar

I believe Chiang Rai is not an international airport with immigration so not an option...

Quote Originally Posted by PlymouthNick View Post
    I believe Chiang Rai is not an international airport with immigration so not an option...
    Not sure why that is relevant Nick? Thai International and Thai Smile are part of the same airline. It is possible to book a round trip from LHR to CEI without having to collect luggage at BKK and check in for the domestic leg.

I know te2008 has booked them as separate flights but I was just wondering if he called Thai and explained there is a tight connection they might be able to link the bookings and check him in all the way through....?

They can only say no. If it is a no then I agree 1hr 55mins is a tight turnaround and may be best to amend the domestic flight (if Thai Smile have cancelled the flight they should re-book him for free)…

Thanks
    Grahame
    เกรแฮม

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ PlymouthNick's Avatar

It is relevant as he will need to go through BKK immigration. As its not an international airport bags will need to be offloaded and then checked in. Same with travel to Udon Thani as I have done many times.

Chiang Rai is an international airport with non-stop flights to at least 5 Chinese cities.
    For information purposes, can also fly non-stop Chiang Rai to Udon Thani, Phuket , Bangkok DMK and BKK.
    Cheapest flights in March are from BKK with Vietjet @ £14.
    bangkok mags

It is relevant as he will need to go through BKK immigration. As its not an international airport bags will need to be offloaded and then checked in. Same with travel to Udon Thani as I have done many times.
    If that's the case how can Thai offer flights LHR to CEI via BKK? Passengers will transfer at BKK and yes that may involve screening etc but a 1hr 55m window is enough time to transition between flights comfortably...
    Grahame
    เกรแฮม

Originally Posted by PlymouthNick

If that's the case how can Thai offer flights LHR to CEI via BKK? Passengers will transfer at BKK and yes that may involve screening etc but a 1hr 55m window is enough time to transition between flights comfortably...

I can book a flight to Bloemfontein via jo'berg and my bags go direct even though Bloem is a domestic airport. Flying to any US airport I need to collect my bags on the outbound flights these are booked on the same ticket so its not relevant.

If flights are booked separately its at your own risk
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

If flights are booked separately its at your own risk [/QUOTE]

Totally agree Ash and that was the whole point of the thread... as the flights have been booked separately it would be best to re-book the domestic flight (which Thai Smile should pay as they cancelled the original flight)…. I was just making the point that there is no harm calling Thai International and just asking the question whether they can be checked in all the way through so no need to exit at arrivals and re-check in for the domestic leg etc just as they would be able to do if it had been booked on one ticket... If you don't ask you don't get...
    Grahame
    เกรแฮม

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by te2008 View Post
    Thai Smile saying that they have cancelled the later flight so the next flight from BKK to chiang Rai is at 16.55pm.
    Have they actually cancelled the later flight or have they just brought the departure time forward ?
    If the flight number on your ticket is the same as the one leaving BKK at 16.55pm, then it hasn't been cancelled.

If it was me and I was travelling alone, I would be asking for a refund, then book with another airline. Vietjet have a flight leaving BKK at 6.00pm.

Even if Thai Smile rebook you for free, your still going to have to pay for your 1 night stay in BKK.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Bizarrely they won't transfer baggage even though Thai Airways own Thai Smile, in my experience.

Last two times I've booked EVA Air LHR to CEI. One ticket, the Bangkok Airways leg is a code share and bags are checked all the way through. EVA Air are responsible for the connection and entire journey.

Return, CEI to LHR, again bags are checked all the way through, you clear immigration at CEI and go to the transfer area at BKK.

Unless there are significant savings to be made, I always use EVA Air now. So much more convenient than booking flights separately, and you can have tighter connection too.

Just got back from CEI yesterday actually. Short queues at BKK due to the drop in tourist numbers.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ray8472 View Post
    Bizarrely they won't transfer baggage even though Thai Airways own Thai Smile, in my experience.
    The solution to this is book the Thai smile flights on the Thai Airways website as one ticket. I've found on every occasion we did this the flights are cheaper. You still end up on the Thai smile Domestic flight and get the small blue bread funky sandwiches :-)
    Kingy
    Last edited by Tobias; 28th Feb 2020 at 12:03. Reason: Corrected BBCode to display quote correctly

Quote Originally Posted by Kingy View Post
    The solution to this is book the Thai smile flights on the Thai Airways website as one ticket. I've found on every occasion we did this the flights are cheaper. You still end up on the Thai smile Domestic flight and get the small blue bread funky sandwiches :-)
    Kingy
    OK, I'm sure I did that once and they wouldn't do it which made no sense at all.

Anyway I've always found Thai Airways really expensive when booking connecting flights as part of the journey. Cheaper to book the internal flight separately. But then I found EVA Air and used them from that point on. Next time I'll get Thai Airways prices as well. I think it depends on time of year and how far in advance you book.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Essex boys's Avatar

I fly Thai airways to suvarnhabhumi airport then Thai smile to khon kaen, my baggage has never been checked straight through to khon kaen, I collect my baggage at swampy, then check in to Thai airways and check my bags onto that flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Essex boys View Post
    I fly Thai airways to suvarnhabhumi airport then Thai smile to khon kaen, my baggage has never been checked straight through to khon kaen, I collect my baggage at swampy, then check in to Thai airways and check my bags onto that flight.
    Also my experience when flying to Chiang Rai with Thai/Thai Smile. But with EVA Air, the internal Bangkok Airways flight is a proper code-share, with an EVA air flight number as well as the Bangkok Airways one, and the baggage is checked right through. Works brilliantly.

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by Essex boys View Post
    So what's your connection time from Bangkok to khon kaen? And what time do you arrive in to Bangkok from the UK.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Essex boys's Avatar

Sorry just seen that question, I always arrive in bkk about 6am go through immigration and customs, nip downstairs and change my money up then upstairs check in to thai smile flight to khon kaen (normally a flight about 10.40am) then go get something to eat and wait for my flight