Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Settlement Visa Expiry

Hi everyone, a bit of background, if I may. After a couple of UK visits using visitor visas, Nuy first entered the UK as my "spouse" on a settlement visa early in 2012. We have done 3 FLR (M) extensions and her current visa / BRP expires this coming June.

With both my parents now deceased, Nuy's "sense of purpose" to be here now has a big hole in it. If and when I get back to work she will be stuck indoors with not a great deal to do or keep her occupied. Both of Nuy's parents are also deceased so the only immediate family is her Grandma and Grandpa and some close Aunts & Uncles etc.

Needless to say, Nuy's grandparents aren't getting any younger and neither are in the best of health. Nuy absolutely adores and idolizes her Grandma so, naturally she is keen to spend more and more time near the village to be close and look after them. I'm not entirely averse to spending more time in Thailand myself (hence the current house build in Korat, which got underway just before Christmas).

Now then, with both of us hopefully spending increasingly more time in LOS and less in the UK we are leaning towards simply allowing the current settlement visa / BRP to expire. The plan being for me to take extended holidays to Thailand (not sure about the type of visa just yet) and then for Nuy to come back to the UK with me some of the time for the odd holiday by way of a tourist visa (possibly the 2 year type). I now have a couple of questions based on the above.

Firstly, does anyone see any major obstacles or problems with the way I see this going that I may not have considered?

Secondly, does anyone know whether simply allowing the current settlement visa / BRP to expire is permissible or is there a formal procedure that I should be following?

All helpful comments gratefully received.

Cheers - Allan

Blog Entries

Is there any reason why she cannot apply for naturalisation? Having a British passport would make things much easier in the future, especially if you have any desires to travel outside asia.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Is there any reason why she cannot apply for naturalisation? Having a British passport would make things much easier in the future, especially if you have any desires to travel outside asia.

Hi Tobias, I don't know that she's eligible. In all her time here there has only been one failed attempt at LITUK test and no attempts at the further English test required for ILR. Hence, we've not got any further than FLR(M) extensions.

Very dependent on how good her English is. B1 isn't that much different from A1 or A2. She just has to speak about a specific subject and general chit chat. My wife chose Thai cooking. I thought her pronunciation would let her down but she passed.

My wife is learning LITUK at the moment and a Facebook group has been invaluable along with the practice tests. I found a Thai translation of the LITUK book which has helped. She only started five days ago and I will put her in for the test next Monday. If your wife has a good memory she should pass. The Facebook group is full of people who passed after memorising 15 of the practice exams.

It seems such a waste of the visas your wife has had to abandon it before getting a passport and it makes life so simple when travelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Hi Tobias, I don't know that she's eligible. In all her time here there has only been one failed attempt at LITUK test and no attempts at the further English test required for ILR. Hence, we've not got any further than FLR(M) extensions.
    She requires ILR prior to naturalisation.
    We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Firstly, does anyone see any major obstacles or problems with the way I see this going that I may not have considered?
    The only problem might be the clamp down on visas with the introduction of the new points based system. Whilst the current thinking is that this is mostly aimed at settlement/work who knows what effects it or future rule changes might have on visit visas.

Secondly, does anyone know whether simply allowing the current settlement visa / BRP to expire is permissible or is there a formal procedure that I should be following?
    Yes of course, but once it runs out, and with no other form of visa then she would have to leave the country or be here illegally.
    Independence Day 31st January 2020