Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Essex boys's Avatar

Default Need to show flight out of Thailand at check in?

Hi all, I have just had my non immigrant 'O' visa issued in my passport, when I check in with Thai airways at Heathrow will they let me board with my one way flight ticket? Thai airways own ticket conditions only seem to refer to the 30 day visa exempt flights where it looks like you need to have a flight out of Thailand booked, the Thai consulates web sites seem to suggest that as I have a visa issued in my passport , I don't need to have a flight out of Thailand when I check in. Just wondered if anybody had any experience of checking in without a flight out of Thailand.
    i have given up trying to contact Thai airways in London by phone or email as they do not answer the phone or return emails.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Good question - maybe try EVA Air even if you aren't flying with them, you may get an answer, I've found them very good. However this is likely to be airline-specific so you may have to persevere with trying to ask Thai Airways.

you only need a ticket out if you have no visa,

Hi gents, thanks for your answers, I'm going to arrive early for check in and see what happens, if I get refused boarding I have printed off the Thai embassy/ consulate stance on ticketing, I will show these to the check in person if I get refused boarding. As I'm going to check in early, if I do get refused I have the web site of a company who allow you to 'book a flight' that you don't actually use, they issue tickets that you can then show on your smart phone, they charge $19 for this, I'm hoping it doesn't come to that but better prepared than not.
    i will update this thread after I have checked in to let you know what the experience was.

Quote Originally Posted by Essex boys View Post
    when I check in with Thai airways at Heathrow will they let me board with my one way flight ticket?
    the Thai consulates web sites seem to suggest that as I have a visa issued in my passport , I don't need to have a flight out of Thailand when I check in.
    I presume each visa has differing qualifications. Certainly for a visit visa you DO need a return ticket.
    A list was sent to me and amongst other things was "4. Printed confirmation of flight bookings / tickets into and out of Thailand."

Quote Originally Posted by steve187 View Post
    you only need a ticket out if you have no visa,
    Not what I have just been told this afternoon.
    "4. Printed confirmation of flight bookings / tickets into and out of Thailand."
    Independence Day 31st January 2020

I think it depends on the type of visa you have, certainly for the 30 day visa exemption I know you need a flight out, and I think the same applies to the 60 day and 90 day visit visas, emphasis on the words I think as I'm not completely sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary & Nok View Post
    I presume each visa has differing qualifications. Certainly for a visit visa you DO need a return ticket.
    A list was sent to me and amongst other things was "4. Printed confirmation of flight bookings / tickets into and out of Thailand."

Not what I have just been told this afternoon.
    "4. Printed confirmation of flight bookings / tickets into and out of Thailand."
    where is that requirement from, Thailand does not have a visit visa, only tourist and non immigrant visas, i think you are quoting from an embassy/consulate's requirements for a visa, not the airlines requirement to fly

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Essex boys you will not have a problem, i have done it many times, a ticket out the country is only needed for a visa exempt entry, not for visa holders or re-entry permit holders, the airline are just covering their backs

Many thanks steve187....and to all who took the time to respond.
    essex boys

Quote Originally Posted by steve187 View Post
    where is that requirement from, Thailand does not have a visit visa, only tourist and non immigrant visas, i think you are quoting from an embassy/consulate's requirements for a visa, not the airlines requirement to fly
    Oh sorry poor choice of words, yes visit as in Tourist Visa

i think you are quoting from an embassy/consulate's requirements for a visa....
    Yes that is correct, you need to show a return ticket to obtain the visa (certainly Tourist).

...not the airlines requirement to fly
    As part of the visa (at least Tourist), and therefore entry to Thailand, it is the airlines responsibility to make sure you have a return ticket.
    The airline is quite within their right to deny boarding, as if you are refused entry to Thailand because you do not have a return ticket (or proof of being able to leave the country) then, regardless of the fact you have a visa, it will be the airlines responsibility and cost for you to leave the country.

The OP needs to check the visa requirements and see if a return ticket is required. It's not worth the hassle of getting to the airport and finding out you can't fly.

a ticket out the country is only needed for a visa exempt entry, not for visa holders or re-entry permit holders, the airline are just covering their backs
    Please be careful as this is NOT true in all visa cases, as I have stated above.
    The airline are covering their backs because they will have to pay!
    Independence Day 31st January 2020

I think I will email/call Hull consulate who issued the visa and see what they have to say regarding flights out of Thailand

i just called Thai consulate in Hull who issued me my visa, they said there is no need to show a flight out of Thailand because I have a non immigrant visa not a tourist visa
    Last edited by Essex boys; 6th Mar 2020 at 15:28.

i just called Thai consulate in Hull who issued me my visa, they said there is no need to show a flight out of Thailand because I have a non immigrant visa not a tourist visa
    Yes, but at the end of the day it could be an over-zealous airline that refuses to let you board.

When I get my 90-day Non-O based on marriage later in the year, I'll be in the same boat.

I have flown with a dozen different airlines over the last few years and never had to show a ticket out of Thailand. I have had non-O multi and lately a retirement extension. My employers provide my tickets and they are always one way.

Gents once again thanks for your replies they are all helpful, ray8472 keep an eye on this thread as I will be updating it on May the 7th after I have checked in with Thai airways..well, once I have sorted out my breakfast and coffee

ray8472 keep an eye on this thread as I will be updating it on May the 7th after I have checked in with Thai airways..well, once I have sorted out my breakfast and coffee
    Thanks !

..well, once I have sorted out my breakfast and coffee
    Fullers London Pride bar - great brekkie and a couple of pints of London Pride - can't whack it!

Naughty

Think I have been in there before Allan, expensive breakfast if I remember.....for the last few years I have had lounge access because I was a star alliance gold card holder, so great food and free beer etc, now I'm down to silver so no more lounge access..gotta slum it now, but I get 10kg extra baggage allowance

Wotcha, Essex. As a matter of interest, that non imm O that you have; am I correct in thinking that it's a single entry job? Only asking because I may have a period coming up whereby I may wish to enter Thailand several times in fairly quick succession. If I have understood the Embassy / Consulate websites correctly, I don't think a multi entry non imm O is available anymore? I'm also planning to visit Hull when I do need such a visa but I'm thinking a METV might be my better option. Prior to that, I do have a separate fight booked, hopefully for the end of this month if it goes ahead and will do the usual visa on arrival but in terms of the requirement to get a visa before I travel, I am thinking ahead to later on in the year.

The Non-O is single entry as far as I know, but you can get a re-entry permit in Thailand can't you from any immigration office ?

Yep, my non immigrant 'O' visa is single entry only, multiple entry not issued in the uk now. I have spoken to a visa agent in Thailand who can do the 1 year extension on my visa for 18,000 baht that will be multiple entry no financials need to be shown, just my passport and two photos and the fee, single entry 1 year extension will be 14,000 baht

Quote Originally Posted by ray8472 View Post
    The Non-O is single entry as far as I know, but you can get a re-entry permit in Thailand can't you from any immigration office ?
    I get a Multi-Entry Permit that runs along side my Non-IMM O extension, it lasts as long as the extension, the cost is 3,800 baht, you can get single entry and the cost is 1,000 baht per time.
    bangkok mags