Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

RSS Feed Tesco sells its Asian stores in £8bn deal

The UK's largest retailer agrees to sell the 2,000 stores it operates in Thailand and Malaysia.

Read full article ...

(This post was generated automatically by Thailand-UK.com from the BBC News Business RSS Feed)

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

I hope the stores stay the same. Tesco-Lotus is a bit of home away from home !

Went to Tesco-Lotus On Nut (BKK) yesterday morning to stock up on Instant Oats A) Quaker or B) McGarrett, no Quaker in at all and only the tiny wee feed a mouse size packs of McGarrett, what a load of guff, they need to sort themselves out, however a great range of Tea.
    bangkok mags

Quote Originally Posted by sisaket View Post
    however a great range of Tea.
    Not in Hua Hin's Tesco, there isn't. All the finest 'English' teas have gone. There is some unidentifiable Tesco 'black tea' in yellow packaging which is packed in Thailand, so I didn't bother with that. My everyday drinking tea is now 'pride of Ceylon' by Heladiv, which is as it say's, 100% Ceylon tea. I get it from Gourmet Market when discounted, so 175 baht for 100 tea bags.

I would have thought all you rich northerners would be flocking to TOPS to buy Yorkshire tea for silly money!
    'Tis me

Quote Originally Posted by caller View Post
    Not in Hua Hin's Tesco, there isn't. All the finest 'English' teas have gone. There is some unidentifiable Tesco 'black tea' in yellow packaging which is packed in Thailand, so I didn't bother with that. My everyday drinking tea is now 'pride of Ceylon' by Heladiv, which is as it say's, 100% Ceylon tea. I get it from Gourmet Market when discounted, so 175 baht for 100 tea bags.

I would have thought all you rich northerners would be flocking to TOPS to buy Yorkshire tea for silly money!
    Hahaha , my next food destination is going to be TOPS @ Robinson , Phraek Sa (Samut Prakan) I should have gone there in the first place, I got some Liptons Yellow at Tesco, the fine array of Teas often come with incompatible pricing arrangements. My local Max Value shut up shop at the end of last month, where I could get Oats, Liptons and a fine selection of Beans IE kidney, black, corn ears etc, so tried Tesco (On Nut) and after the work on my gnashers last Saturday called into Big C (Samrong) which were OK with the Beans and soya protein, but they were crap on the Oats front. At least I can get everything in TOPS including Pulses and a trip south on the BTS beats a trip uptown.
    bangkok mags

Hahaha , my next food destination is going to be TOPS @ Robinson , Phraek Sa (Samut Prakan)
    Judging by the areas you visit, you must be based somewhere in that On Nut / Samrong catchment area. There will be a large Gourmet Market when The Mall Group finish building their Mall / concert hall at Bang Na. That will take some time though. I still think the best place for farang food options under one roof in Bkk is at Central Chit Lom, which has everything plus more than most TOPS can stock.

We have a smallish TOPs in Hua Hin now but they don't and won't stock most of what I use them for in Bkk. Nor can they sell alcohol as it's on an opposite corner to a school! I do pop in from time to time to pick up a Waitrose frozen pizza and it's always near empty. Villa Market, one of two in Hua Hin and just 5 minutes away, always seems fairly busy.
    'Tis me

Old Hand มือเก่า

Can anybody shed any light as to why Salt n Vinegar crisps are not stocked by Lays or Pringles. Every Thai person I've ever shared mine with, including numerous classes of kids lap them up. I was hoping Tesco would offer more but it's almost as if someone in charge is deliberately keeping alternative flavours and products off the shelves.

Old Hand มือเก่า
    ต้องการนักแปล

Every Tesco different ,,in Thailand they do give you that feel feel of the European supermarket ,but the bigger the branch the better like the one in my wife's home town pak kat and then 3 miles extra the other way bueng kan big difference in store .JUST hope they keep the same or make little improvements .

Quote Originally Posted by Barnet View Post
    Can anybody shed any light as to why Salt n Vinegar crisps are not stocked by Lays or Pringles.
    But they are widely available from non-Thai brands. I have two packs here right now, one made by Crunchies and other from Tyrells (sea salt & cider vinegar). Walkers are sold by Villa Market at silly money, but they have them as well. You need a TOPS, Villa or Gourmet Market.
    'Tis me

Judging by the areas you visit, you must be based somewhere in that On Nut / Samrong catchment area. There will be a large Gourmet Market when The Mall Group finish building their Mall / concert hall at Bang Na. That will take some time though. I still think the best place for farang food options under one roof in Bkk is at Central Chit Lom, which has everything plus more than most TOPS can stock.

We have a smallish TOPs in Hua Hin now but they don't and won't stock most of what I use them for in Bkk. Nor can they sell alcohol as it's on an opposite corner to a school! I do pop in from time to time to pick up a Waitrose frozen pizza and it's always near empty. Villa Market, one of two in Hua Hin and just 5 minutes away, always seems fairly busy.
    Yes I can walk to the site in 5 / 6 minutes, going to be the biggest mall of its kind in SE Asia, they will build the Bangkok Arena and a smaller theater plus the normal Cinemas etc, there were plans also to move the Eastern Bus Station (Ekkamai) there eventually.
    BKK Mall.jpg
    IMG_9755.jpg
    I can get to Central Bang Na easy and that also has a TOPS and Big C next door.
    bangkok mags

Old Hand มือเก่า

But they are widely available from non-Thai brands. I have two packs here right now, one made by Crunchies and other from Tyrells (sea salt & cider vinegar). Walkers are sold by Villa Market at silly money, but they have them as well. You need a TOPS, Villa or Gourmet Market.
    Cheers for that. I can get Crunchies, albeit in remote places up here but was just wondering why Lays seem to make new flavours every month, which are hit and miss IMO, rather than invest in those tried and tested ones. Prawn Coctail, Worcester Sauce and Pickled Onion. Probably a good thing as my ability to not munch packet by packet in the UK is non-existent.

Yes I can walk to the site in 5 / 6 minutes, going to be the biggest mall of its kind in SE Asia, they will build the Bangkok Arena and a smaller theater plus the normal Cinemas etc, there were plans also to move the Eastern Bus Station (Ekkamai) there eventually.
    Yes, my other half will work there eventually, as the Mall Groups Head Office will move there from it's current location in Ramkhamhaeng.

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Barnet View Post
    Prawn Coctail, Worcester Sauce and Pickled Onion.
    All available in Villa Market!
    'Tis me

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

I don't really do much shopping at Tesco these days, they have taken off the shelves most of the things I used to buy, own brand tea bags, own brand special flakes, the only cereal my daughter likes to eat. I haven't forgiven them for the overnight mark up of granola from 145bht to 349bht. Needles to say they can stick it where the sun don't shine. I now do most of my shopping at Makro and Big C and get some special stuff (British) from a shop in Pattaya when I'm in the area. I felt they never catered for expats anyway.