Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ toddmeister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Books to read whilst in lockdown

Hi All

I'm currently furloughed until god knows when. I've pretty much exhausted Netflix and the internet, dug a patio & tidied the garden, washed the car numerous times etc. etc. so think it's time to catch-up on some reading.

What would be your top book recommendations to help pass the time?

I've been reading more non-fiction than fiction lately but open to anything. These are the last few books I've read to give you an idea of what I'm into:-

The Stone Roses biography War & Peace
    Fieldwork - Mischa Berlinski
    The Damage Done: Twelve Years of Hell in a Bangkok Prison - Warren Fellows
    Hotel K - Kathryn Bonella
    A Beer in the Loire
    Narconomics: How to Run a Drug Cartel
    Jai Yen Means Keep a Cool Heart - Rupert Nelson
    Vietnam: An Epic Tragedy - Max Hastings
    A Bikers Life - Henry Cole
    Touch the Dragon: A Thai Journal - Karen Connelly

Fiction - Favourite author is probably Haruki Murakami

Crime Fiction - Enjoyed the John Burdett books

Thailand - I've already read the majority of "mainstream" Thailand themed books which are available online. But if there are any of the more obscure, less obvious books which can still be ordered online, suggestions would be good. For example, I really enjoyed Jai Yen Means Keep a Cool Heart which is an old book about Missionaries working with the Thai hill tribes. But I picked that up in a second-hand bookshop in Chiang Mai. Not interest in any of the self-published stereotypical sex-pat rubbish though

I don't use Kindle or anything like that so given the current situation would have to be hard copy books which can be ordered online

Please help keep me sane

Many Thanks

Sadly I don’t usually get chance to read anything unrelated to my work unless I am on holiday etc! A few I have enjoyed in the past are:

lee child’s jack reacher series (once you have read one you have read them all!)
    Dr Tara Stewart- the source (bit of a self help book)
    Anonymous - The Secret Barrister
    Richard Bransons books are also quite chilled out & interesting reads
    The assassin’s creed series were quite good too

trouble is, books are so personal and your taste might be totally different. I also read a few of the recommendations in my early 20s which may make a difference

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Lonerider's Avatar
    Yorkshireman divided between Chum Phae & Iraq

I read quite a lot when at work, not a lot else to do on an evening

Andy McNab, Nick Stone series
    As Walshie says. Lee Childs, Jack Reacher series, the last one 'Blue Moon' was good
    Vince Flynn, Mitch Rapp series
    Anthony Beevor WWII stuff
    Other WWII stuff if you like that side of history
    Chickenhawk, Robert Mason
    We Were Soldiers And Young Once, Hal Moore and Joe Galloway, they also did another one..We are Soldiers Still

I prefer the feel of a book, I have 350 plus books with me...on my iPad 5555, Epub format
    Last edited by Lonerider; 7th Apr 2020 at 13:54. Reason: added author for chickenhawk

Interesting lonerider I have also read Vince Flynn’s Mitch rapp and a few of Andy mcnabbs books. They completely slipped my mind!! The Mitch rapp series really good

Blog Entries

Thanks guys.

I've read a couple of McNab books - Exit Wound was one of them. Not sure of the other but will take a look.

Good shout on the WWII stuff too. My grandad was in Burma with he DLI. One great book I read was "Quartered Safe Out Here" by George MacDonald Fraser. Also enjoyed the Railway Man and Survivor on the River Kwai.

Walshie, I've almost bought the Secret Barrister a couple of times before so will give it a go thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toddmeister View Post
    Please help keep me sane
    Atkinson and Hilgard's Introduction to Psychology 15th Edition
    Chapter 14: Stress, Health and Coping (p 502 or 527 on a downloadable PDF)

I am currently reading Human Evolution (an illustrated introduction) 5th Edition by Roger Lewin .
    bangkok mags

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sisaket View Post
    I am currently reading Human Evolution (an illustrated introduction) 5th Edition by Roger Lewin .
    Does that mean i can just look at the pictures

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Lonerider's Avatar
    Yorkshireman divided between Chum Phae & Iraq

Quote Originally Posted by walshie View Post
    Interesting lonerider I have also read Vince Flynn’s Mitch rapp and a few of Andy mcnabbs books. They completely slipped my mind!! The Mitch rapp series really good
    Yes, really enjoying it, I am reading them in the order to be read and not the order they were published...i.e American Assassin was the first I read, then Kill Shot and so on...and I have just finished Seperation of Power, 5th on the list

On a seperate note and I forgot to mention yesterday..Eric Van Lustbader, he took over the Bourne Series from Robert Ludlem, Book 8 wil be my next one..The Bourne Objective. The early books are different to the same named films, enjoyable

At the moment I am reading The First Wave by Alex Kershaw, its about the First Waves on D Day, a good read

For a series of books, try Philip Kerr's Bernie Gunther series. Originally a detective in pre-war Berlin, the books follow his escapades into the early 60's, via the war years and move from across Europe to S. America and are mainly based on actual events that took place. Especially good if you like the Philip Marlow style of wisecracking. They can be read in any order, but the first three books have long been published under the collective title 'Berlin Noir.' The original intention was only to write the three books, but years later Kerr picked the theme up again and after that never let it go. Sadly, Philip Kerr died a couple of years ago now and was able to finish what became the final book before his death. Great books with a huge legion of fans, including Tom Hanks, who owns the film rights.

Here's a guide to each book:

https://crimefictionlover.com/2019/0...unther-series/
    'Tis me

I also totally forgot game of thrones book series. If your into that sort of thing it will probably sort your boredom out for the next few weeks at least!
    I enjoyed game of thrones (over a very long period of time waiting for releases!) and also lord of the rings books/the hobbit

Blog Entries

Thanks Walshie but fantasy & sci-fi are not my thing. Tried to watch & read Tolkien (and others similar) a few times and could just never get into it.

It really is a Marmite genre so I completely understand!

Blog Entries

It looks like The Duchess of Cornwall has been trading this topic, she had offered some recommended reading for COVID-19 lockdown: http://news.sky.com/story/coronaviru...kdown-11971937
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.

The John Milton books by Mark Dawson are excellent. Spider Shepherd by Stephen leather along with all of his other books except the one about Thailand. He lives in Thailand, by the way. Wilbur Smith. I love them. Especially the early books. Really gritty. Victor the assassin series by Tom Wood. A strange book but excellent called "I am pilgrim". Enough there to keep you going for six months!

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ Tony & Apple's Avatar

I think the Spider Shepherd books are good too, also he wrote a book called 'The Shout', which is set in a London Fire Station which was excellent. I do think his Thailand themed books are worth a mention - the funny 'Bangkok Bob' and the famous - 'Private Dancer'.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bangkok-Mis.../dp/B004AM5MV6

I agree with Walshie's comment about Lee Child, I was half way through reading my second Reacher book when it became all very familiar and also a bit morbid for right now.

'I am Pilgrim' is brilliant and will keep you going

I am reading the 4th book by Abir Mukherjee in the Sam Wyndham series, these are a joy to read.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Death-East-...t%2C182&sr=1-1

Also reading 'One Crowded Hour', the
    biography of journalist Neil Davis who covered the conflicts in South East Asia; fascinating read

https://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Crowded...al-text&sr=1-1

In relation to Thai themed books, I think the Vinny Calvino Series by Christopher G Moore will keep you busy, the early books describe a Bangkok that is now long gone, and his Land of Smiles Trilogy are pretty good as is Bangkok Noir

https://www.christophergmoore.com/th...smiles-trilogy

A member of this website recommended 'Only 13 - The True Story of Lon' which was a challenging read but really worth it.

I have just finished reading 'The Nobel Path' written by Peter May over 30 years ago, with stereotypical characters and a simple plot but mainly a good read.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Noble-Path-...6Y7H5NG6MYBEWA

This guy has some funny books: https://www.amazon.co.uk/David-Young...rwt_scns_share

The Thailand themed books are not going to win any literature awards but they are good escapism and at least for me take me back to the old Bangkok / Thailand. The good old days!!

On another note books like Air America, The Ravens and Jon Swan's 'River of Time' are really good historical books and well worth a read.

We have many book reviews here: https://thailand-uk.com/forums/forum...9-Book-Reviews

Happy reading!
    แอนโธนี่

Blog Entries

Thanks Tony. I've read a couple of Christopher G Moore Calvino books. Also read private dancer & only 13. I'll take a look at the other links thanks.

Currently reading Peter Hook's book The Hacienda: How not to run a club, which I bought a while ago and forgotten about. Really interesting for anyone into the "Madchester" scene

ive also just ordered David McMillans book "Escape" about his erm, escape, from Klong Phlem prison. Should keep me busy for a few days anyway

thanks again all

Quote Originally Posted by Tony & Apple View Post
    I have just finished reading 'The Nobel Path' written by Peter May over 30 years ago, with stereotypical characters and a simple plot but mainly a good read.
    I may have had a small part to play in this books updating and re-release. I contacted Peter on his facebook page having noticed that this was long out of print and asked if there were any plans to re-release it. He said that it was from his very early days and if he could find the time, that he would love to revise it and get it pushed out again and of course since this books original release, his career has really taken off. Anyway, he did as he said he would and I bought it from Kinokuniya in Emquartier (also at Paragon and Central World), probably the best bookshops in Bangkok - even if Japanese. Great for reference books on SE Asia as well. I haven't read it yet, but it's next on my list.

Incidentally, Peter May's Lewis Trilogy and in particular, 'The Blackhouse' which is the first of the series, is excellent. His books based on Islands and other standalone novels, like 'Runaway' are also really good reads.
    Last edited by caller; 15th Apr 2020 at 14:53.
    'Tis me

Might get told off for a slightly unrelated post but I have been watching The tiger king series on Netflix. I wouldn’t usually be enamored by a series about a gay, racist, drug addled, gun toting tiger keeper. It may be the boredom of isolation but I have been hooked! So far I would say it’s a decent enough show to whittle 7hours away on!
    Last edited by walshie; 15th Apr 2020 at 20:43.

Blog Entries

Something I wouldn't usually watch either. But I did watch the entire season over 2 sittings