Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old Hand มือเก่า

Default B and Q [online ordering only and website wait times]

Has anyone visited the B and Q website.
    www.diy.com
    You now have to queue to do your shopping online!
    Is that tight or am I missing something.

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk

I think it’s to stop their servers crashing/people ordering more than they can deal with. All the supermarkets are doing the same

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ toddmeister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes I ordered some bits a few weeks back. Was in a queue for an hour. Wickes was the same but not as busy. B&Q have now started opening some stores. Our local store opened today

Old Hand มือเก่า

Its ironic that some people blame internet shopping for the demise of the High Street, yet its everyone's saviour at the moment.
    My own website crashed, causing 30 orders to go astray, I have had to disable 75% of what I am selling due to the large volumes of orders. Some days we have to disable all the products just to give us time to breath.

FedEx and DHL have both told me its like "Black Friday and Xmas" combined x 3. The demand for compost and plants to be delivered by courier or local deliveries is phenomenal and logistically impossible to do. The general public uses 4.2 billion litres of compost in the UK, with most of that been used this time of year. You would need 56,000 artic's to move that volume of compost, yet we are supposed to be able to do that in vans. To make matters worse, there has hardly been a drop of rain since the lock down. Perfect weather for gardening, which has only added to the demand.

Some of the public who are self isolating have not got a clue, they think with the internet and mobile phones that we live in a instant world and online purchase should still arrive within 24-48hrs during these times.
    The couriers are advising that goods should be sent out on economy service, 3-5 working days. Yet I have lost count how many people have phoned me wanting to pay extra for next day service as this option was removed from my website.
    Last edited by Greg / Pairin; 23rd Apr 2020 at 18:33.

Old Hand มือเก่า
    ต้องการนักแปล

B and Q are open now a lot of there stores but i saw the queue today as i drove past one ,,,same with some supermarkets come winter people will not want to do this and i can see more problems in the near future ...

Greg, that is so so true. We finally got a delivery from our builders merchant. The driver told us they are booked up for nearly three weeks solid of deliveries mainly for people doing diy. The annoying thing is we have had 5 blokes with no work and their status incompatible with the furlough scheme waiting for this stuff.

but hey at least there will be lots of work fixing all the bodge jobs in a few months time!!

edit: this small merchant I am talking about told me they have been doing £80k per day in orders for the past week or so!!

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by walshie View Post
    but hey at least there will be lots of work fixing all the bodge jobs in a few months time!!
    I wonder if there has been an increase in diy injuries during the lock down? You would of thought the NHS have enough on their plate without the government encouraging those self isolating to do some gardening and diy.

We were offering an order and collect service, place your order via email and either pay by cash or cheque in an envelope or paypal & bacs. Your order would then be made up and left on a pallet to collect in our carpark, after hours only. I was grassed up and had a visit from the local enviroment agency, I was told if I carried on I would be prosecuted. There is plenty of resentment in my trade, that the likes of B&Q have been allowed to do a click and collect service and are now opening stores, yet garden centres have to remain closed.

Old Hand มือเก่า
    ต้องการนักแปล

yes i agree if a store can display that rules are followed then there should be no problem ,,,but then it will be pubs and clubs and then back to normal and that could be a problem .How much is china paying towards the cost of the world economy maybe that is why HMS Elizabeth is going to sea .

Blog Entries

I passed a garden centre here yesterday that was busier than I've ever seen it, even in normal circumstances. This is purely a garden centre too, they don't sell building or hardware supplies, purely plants and compost etc so don't know how they have not been asked to close?

out of interest has anyone else noticed an increase in "activity" this week? I went to the supermarket yesterday which I do maybe twice a week and there was definitely a lot more traffic on the roads. I'm furloughed but have been talking to one of the lads at work (we are classed as keyworkers and company is still open for business) and he says it's been much busier. Contractors have been coming in saying they're starting to take on work again. So busy in fact that I've been asked to go in tomorrow & Monday to help out and will probably be called back full-time within a week or two

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by toddmeister View Post
    I passed a garden centre here yesterday that was busier than I've ever seen it, even in normal circumstances. This is purely a garden centre too, they don't sell building or hardware supplies, purely plants and compost etc so don't know how they have not been asked to close?
    75% of the compost I am sending out is going to the North East. I have always had a good following over there but it does seem to me going by our lad that very few garden centres have closed. I have serviced Marske, Hartlepool, Stockton on Tees, South Shields,Thinford, Stanley and a few more places this week alone, they are all open to the public. I don't know of any garden centres in Cumbria open to the public though.

The only reason why I think they have clamped down more on us compared to other parts of the country, an elderly population. Outside of the capital, our county has had more cases per 100k population, so I have been told.

Old Hand มือเก่า

This is purely a garden centre too, they don't sell building or hardware supplies, purely plants and compost etc so don't know how they have not been asked to close?
    Why should somewhere selling building or hardware supplies be allowed to stay open, yet a garden centre should be asked to close?

A garden centre sells perishable goods, bedding plants can't be saved for next year. Garden centres also sell seed potatoes and numerous veg plants and edible seeds etc etc. There will be millions of growbags sold in the UK during the months from March to June, most will be used to plant veg plants in, normally 3 plants per growbag. I don't know how much fruit and veg is grown by the general public down on the allotments or in raised beds in your back garden, but I reckon it will be into the thousands of tonnes. So to me, garden centres are more essential as they can be a source for growing food, you can't really say that about a builders or hardware supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg / Pairin View Post
    I wonder if there has been an increase in diy injuries during the lock down? You would of thought the NHS have enough on their plate without the government encouraging those self isolating to do some gardening and diy.
    Very very likely Greg. It was the first thing we were taught about at college. I can't remember the exact figures as it was 13 years ago but it was something mad like you are 90% more likely to die or be seriously injured in your first week of using power tools & doing building work than any other time in your working life.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ N Barton's Avatar

Contractors have been coming in saying they're starting to take on work again. So busy in fact that I've been asked to go in tomorrow & Monday to help out and will probably be called back full-time within a week or two
    I am in the signage business and we are currently being, unfairly in my opinion, pressurised to return to carry out installs. We are constantly being told by Contractors that they have been advised by the Government that Construction work can continue and that the country can't afford to grind to a halt. We, however, are not construction and sticking a sign on an office wall is not essential and impossible to maintain a 2 metre spacing between installers. Up to now the MD has held strong but I have a real fear he will bow to pressure so as not to risk future contracts
    We'll never win the Premier League,
    We'll never win a Cup,
    We'll still follow UNITED !!

Small time builders are back to work in force. They seem to think that they fall into the construction bracket.
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Keith, I don’t think the size of the company matters really. Here is a letter from the government that’s worth reading: https://assets.publishing.service.go...n-industry.pdf

Old Hand มือเก่า
    ต้องการนักแปล

Yes more traffic on the roads ,more people at the shops ,The white van men are out in force .That tells me one thing they have not been paying tax .But it is good i hope the country starts to move forward and get back going or the world .I do know one thing come winter people are not going queue up outside like they are doing now so they could be plenty of part time work doing delivery's for supermarkets maybe use the deliver roo or uber eats to get food to people im supraised they have not done this already .wish dragons den was still on i would be in there like a flash .lol.
    Have resident shoppers in your local supermarket bang local taxis take your food or uber drivers small fee winner winner chicken dinner all round .or are the supermarkets operating a closed shop where demand is greater than the service they provide .
    Last edited by Samsung; 24th Apr 2020 at 16:34.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greg / Pairin View Post
    Why should somewhere selling building or hardware supplies be allowed to stay open, yet a garden centre should be asked to close?.
    I agree. I wasn't saying why is one open and not the other. I was just pointing out that the busy garden centre I passed is purely a garden centre, not a "hardware store" with a garden department like most, so as far as I'm aware isn't on the list allowed to remain open unlike the likes of B&Q who are "hardware suppliers" which happen to have a garden centre attached

I was back in work today to help out. I'm usually office based but was out on the van delivering today. Same again on Monday. Apparently it's been very busy this week and my boss told me more than likely he'll take me off furlough and back to work full-time from Monday 4th May. We are supplying a lot of PPE, masks, face guards etc. On Monday I'm collecting a lot more from suppliers as the stock is becoming available. Apparently a lot of customers have said as soon as they can get the PPE they'll be going back to work. I guess it'll just get busier from now on.
    I covered a large area today and again just got the feeling that a lot more people were out and about. Obviously not a good thing, just passing on my observation. But I'm starting to think that despite what social media etc would have you believe, the "novelty" of being at home for a few weeks has well and truly passed and people are going out a lot more than they would have a week or two ago. Again just an observation

Feel really sorry for you Toddmeister.Sounds like you are being unduly pressured into 'helping' when it's just not allowed if you are furloughed.What would happen if you had an accident when doing deliveries?
    I can only think you work for a local supplier/wholesaler...a national wouldn't even go there.

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by galahad View Post
    Feel really sorry for you Toddmeister.Sounds like you are being unduly pressured into 'helping' when it's just not allowed if you are furloughed.What would happen if you had an accident when doing deliveries?
    I can only think you work for a local supplier/wholesaler...a national wouldn't even go there.
    Why? Toddmeister is out delivering PPE, masks, face guards etc etc which are ESSENTIALS in these current times. I am sure I will be not alone in hearing he is helping out. We have needed gloves etc etc so we can work safely, well done for going back in and helping out.

I take it you haven't read the restrictions on being furloughed Greg? His employer could get into a lot of trouble if employee 'volunteering ' came to light.Furloughed employees can do voluntarily work(like delivery drivers for the NHS etc) but NOT anything company related.
    Do you not think Todds company is not profiteering? Do you think they are handing out free PPE at these building sites?
    Its fair enough that he is getting full pay,but who do you think is paying the other 80% of his wages.
    He should have been put back to regular pay first day he came back and been unfurloughed.
    I already think this furlough scheme is very generous and hopefully will save a lot of jobs in the future(mine included) but these abuses (albeit on a small scale) can only lead to further trouble down the line.
    Last edited by galahad; 25th Apr 2020 at 09:04.