Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Old Hand มือเก่า

I understand what your saying Galahad, however, in my eyes he said he has only been in for a couple of days and his boss is taking him off furlough.

So, do you have proof his company is profiteering, should they been handing everything out for free?

What some people don't realise, like covid-19 things are changing on a daily base's. As soon as the lockdown was announced we were dead with retail and trade sales, customers were cancelling orders left right and centre. Now its gone mad, most of my suppliers have not put on any increase, yet some want payment upfront instead of the usual 30 days. I can't get enough supplys and what I can get I have to us a third party. My own trucks would of picked them up, but they are to busy doing the deliveries to be detoured for return loads, theses are extra costs that I never envisaged when price lists were issued in January.

I have had every local fuel station's ask me to supply them for compost, there revenue is in decline. I know some of them personally, they have all told me fuel sales have fell off a cliff, yet they are constantly criticized about costs as the supermarkets are a good 10p a litre cheaper. They would of bought that fuel at a higher price than what it currently is, yet very few understand this and think they are profiteering.
    I am currently getting a month to the gallon from my car.

Not everyone is profiteering, I can assure you of that, but the rules of business has also changed too.
    I wish I could self isolate, preferably where there is no mobile phones or internet, I need a rest.
    Last edited by Greg / Pairin; 25th Apr 2020 at 10:16.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greg / Pairin View Post
    I understand what your saying Galahad, however, in my eyes he said he has only been in for a couple of days and his boss is taking him off furlough.

So, do you have proof his company is profiteering, should they been handing everything out for free? ...
    The Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme rules are very clear, in order to qualify to receive reimbursement of 80% a furloughed employee's usual pay from the UK taxpayer, the employee must NOT carry out any work for the employer during the furlough period.

A furloughed employee can take part in volunteer work, bot not if that 'volunteering' provides services to or generates revenue for or on behalf of the employer.

If an employer requires (or permits) the employee to 'volunteer' in such a way then that employer is not entitled to receive that 80% hand-out. If an employer does then that employer commits fraud and yes, to answer your question, they are profiteering at the expense of the UK taxpayer. The employee is either furloughed or he isn't.
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    It’s better to be 6 feet apart than be 6 feet under.

Old Hand มือเก่า

Fully understand that Tobias, I am just pointing out from a business point of view, that things have been changing daily. One minute you have no work, if the option was there to furlong your staff then you would have, the next minute you are overloaded with work.

We are in uncharted territory with businesses having to adapt. If I was in a trade and I started to see movement after putting my staff on furlong, then I would be very cautious to bring them back in on full paid employment. I would test the water and bring them back briefly, if the demand was there and they could work safely, then I would have them back in on full pay, if not then they wouldn't of lost anything,the last thing anyone needs now is more uncertainty.

If I had closed and put all my staff on furlong, which I don't know if I would of been allowed to. Then I can tell you now, it would of been impossible to employ them at a later date. Our industry has an open window where our turnover is primarily in four months of the year, now. That taken away from us does not give us any revenue in the cold dark winter months to pay our staff, so to guarantee employment later would be a no no. Who would then be expected to pay their redundancy money, me, but how if you have seen your revenue wiped out?

So yes, I would bend the law for a couple of days, but I certainally wouldn't exploit it.

This has not been helped with the lack of information from local government.
    Do we carry on as we do, is the lockdown going to be extended, are restrictions going to be lifted and when, what type of businesses will these be.

We small business don't know whether we are coming or going. The one thing that is hitting me most and i'm learning more everyday is about mental health.

We are literally at breaking point, the demand from the public and trade customers and the conflicting advise that were getting from Horticultural scoeity and from local government only adds to the pressure.

I have more money owing to me now, than I have ever had before, I am still paying all my bills and all my staff with no help at all financially as Ive seeked none. I am confident my trade customers are all operating legitaly, if not, then I could still well be screwed.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ N Barton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Samsung View Post
    Have resident shoppers in your local supermarket bang local taxis take your food or uber drivers small fee winner winner chicken dinner all round.
    Seems our taxi drivers are way ahead of the game, they have been offering this service since day 1, well maybe day 2
    We'll never win the Premier League,
    We'll never win a Cup,
    We'll still follow UNITED !!

Old Hand มือเก่า
    ต้องการนักแปล

Quote Originally Posted by N Barton View Post
    Seems our taxi drivers are way ahead of the game, they have been offering this service since day 1, well maybe day 2
    Bit slow down here in Manchester Lol