Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  26
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Anyone entering UK may be forced to 14 day quarantine

Anyone entering the UK could be forced to go into quarantine for two weeks under plans being discussed in government.

All travellers arriving in the country may be required to fill out a landing card with details about their health, as well as the address where they will self-isolate.

A communications campaign would also be rolled out across the world to warn passengers of what to expect when they arrive in the UK and to dissuade them from coming in the first place, it is reported.

Source: https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...nment-11979070
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

They should have done that at the same time the lockdown started.

Totally crazy that more than 100,000 people arriving on planes every week with no restriction. If that was to continue we'd never beat this virus. Other countries placed heavy restrictions or even closed their borders completely. The U.K. did nothing. Look at the graph here of where Australia placed border restrictions before the lockdown for example

https://mol.im/a/8259355
    Last edited by ray8472; 27th Apr 2020 at 07:44.

Not everyone agrees that travel restrictions are a good idea, including the WHO.

Travel restrictions hampering COVID 19 response.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...967-3/fulltext
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ray8472 View Post
    They should have done that at the same time the lockdown started.

Totally crazy that more than 100,000 people arriving on planes every week with no restriction. If that was to continue we'd never beat this virus. Other countries placed heavy restrictions or even closed their borders completely. The U.K. did nothing...
    That's not entirely correct, whilst there is a fraction of the flights arriving in the UK each day, most are carrying only cargo and/or returning residents.

The UK did not close its borders, but from the lockdown all hotels and guesthouses were told to close except to accommodate critical workers. That decision effectively closed the UK borders to both tourists and non-essential business travellers. So it is wrong to say the UK did nothing, or that 100,000 people are arriving every week with no restriction. The only people who are arriving in the UK are those who live here or those with urgent or compelling reason to be here.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Old Hand มือเก่า
    ต้องการนักแปล

i downloaded the app flight tracker the day the country went on lock down and can confirm the slow steady decrease of flights ,,,just the odd few bringing expats back i even tracked the 2 BA flights from Peru 2 weeks ago .
    Manchester has had well i reckon i could use my fingers and toes to count them in the last 4 weeks exclude the Man to LHR or to Belfast which usually go from Liverpool anyway ,A handy little app it is worldwide as well .

But still 10,000 to 15,000 coming in per day, confirmed by the airports and government.

Blog Entries

And who are these 10,000 people?

They can only be returning residents, there is nowhere for visitors to stay. There have been report of some being refused admission to the UK where their reason for coming was not thought to have been 'essential'.

I'm not convinced that is necessarily lawful, given the Immigration Rules have not been amended for the current national emergency.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Some 15,000 travellers a day are still arriving on flights into the UK and not being tested for coronavirus.People on flights from other virus-hit countries like Italy, the US and China are being admitted without any kind of health checks, Health Secretary Matt Hancock said yesterday.

He revealed that the equivalent of 105,000 people a week are flying in from all over the world. The British government has not imposed any health checks or compulsory quarantine periods in for people arriving into UK airports.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...iving-21888143

Blog Entries

Yes, the question was 'who are they'. There is no suggestion in that article that those arriving at the airport are not people who actually live here in the UK. Are you suggesting they should close the airports and not allow UK residents to return home?

If you think about it, we are in lockdown. That means whoever arrives in the country should also be going straight in to lockdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Hancock
    “At the current rate of transmission here, the scientists say that the epidemiological impact of keeping the travel open is very small, because there's already large transmission here."
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Tobias that is as it should be, but you know it is not happening. They may be British citizens but may have been in dangerous areas. If they are coming in they should isolate. I have two people who have returned and are now dead.
    Melnathan

Blog Entries

That's the point I'm trying to make, Melnathan. We are ALL supposed to be staying at home, isolating ourselves. If we did that we would not catch this disease. People returning to the UK are expected to self-isolate for (IIRC) 14 days.

We cannot blame those people returning home for us contracting COVID-19. There are not many countries where they are enforcing a compulsory government-provided quarantine for those entering their country. Most countries that have a quarantine requirement are not that much different to what the UK is requiring.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Yes, the question was 'who are they'.
    That is what we don't know and will never know. Many will be returning UK nationals and residents of course.

That isn't really the point, there is no doubt that international air travel is what spread this virus worldwide initially. And continuing air travel will continue to spread it unless all arriving people are either tested and/or self isolate for 14 days. That is what the concern is.

Old Hand มือเก่า

And who on earth do you propose actually wants to come to the UK at this specific time, other than those who are desperate to get home? Right in the middle of the peak. Doesn't it make you think these people you have no idea of have very serious reasons perhaps needs to return and by doing so are actually putting their lives at risk just by doing so? If people come back, isolate (like the rest of us) and follow procedures there is limited risk of harming anybody. If they're coming from China they're actually leaving a safe haven and returning to a hot bed.

Member สมาชิก

In short the government still want herd immunity and letting people into the country has always been their plan. Pretty much everything they are doing is fanning the flames.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dippychippy View Post
    In short the government still want herd immunity and letting people into the country has always been their plan. Pretty much everything they are doing is fanning the flames.
    That is not what the government have said though, the Department of Health and Social Care says herd immunity is not part of the UK’s action plan to tackle coronavirus but is “a natural by-product of an epidemic”.

There was an interesting article in Science Focus a couple of weeks ago on herd immunity which explains how it works and its affect on the virus.

Article: https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/co...from-covid-19/
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    The only people who are arriving in the UK are those who live here or those with urgent or compelling reason to be here.
    And of course the channel crossers
    Oh sorry, you did say those with urgent or compelling reason to be here

Joke
    Bye Bye EU Day 31st December 2020 (11 p.m.)

Still too many people not following lockdown here in the centre of Coventry

Next door neighbour (who is at high risk and in isolation) today told me about a conversation with lady who lives in a crescent by us, there are people in the crescent have had the virus and so no longer need to follow lockdown. During work today I had to go down to a local chemists and there were so many people that didn't have any clue of social distancing or were completely ignoring it. The chemist had got a supply of facemasks and was not using one and gave me one as a spare (I know it's not in the rules, yet, but if I go out now I always use a mask). As I was out I also did a quick shop for some more fruit and bread (including fruit for the neighbour at risk), chose Aldi and they were very good at controlling the queue and admittance into the shop, as I was wearing my NHS gear security waived me forward, but the queue was short and I had a proper lunch break and so said I'd wait, but thanks. However once inside the store the idea of distancing disappeared for most of the people in there, until the tills, I got out of there as fast as I could. The figures for death seem to be reflecting some peoples ignorance of lockdown.

Saw this report for Coventry and West Midlands today, not good news and a kick in the teeth for all those doing the right thing :-(

https://coventryobserver.co.uk/news/...-region-18825/

Blog Entries

I don’t follow Ian, which part of the report are you referring to as a “kick in the teeth for all those doing the right thing”?
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Tobias,

For all those that are staying safe and staying home over the weeks of lockdown it's a kick in the teeth to see all cases around here almost doubling in the last 2 weeks rather than falling. From my logic and from what I see daily that is largely to do with those that are not doing the right thing by staying safe and staying home and are helping the virus spread.

From the report:-
    But, as of Tuesday (April 28), confirmed cases in the Midlands had risen to 18,804 (up from 11,987 two weeks ago), with 636 in Coventry (up from 399 on April 14)) and 1,090 in Warwickshire (up from 649)
    There were 543 in Solihull borough (up from 358) and 2,733 in Birmingham (up from 1,884).