Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Essex boys's Avatar

Default Thai wife's medical insurance cover

Hi all, is anyone on here married to a Thai woman employed by the government? The reason I ask is that my gf works for ministry of education and they cover her and her immediate family for medical expenses both in patient and out patient, this includes any prescription medication, the government pays it all, she is telling me that when we marry I will be covered on this health insurance for any medical problem I might have....but I'm thinking that the government will probably say ' he is a foreigner so we won't pay and he is not covered'....so just wondered if anybody is in this situation maybe can throw a bit of light on the subject.
    many thanks
    essex boys

Quote Originally Posted by Essex boys View Post
    Hi all, is anyone on here married to a Thai woman employed by the government? The reason I ask is that my gf works for ministry of education and they cover her and her immediate family for medical expenses both in patient and out patient, this includes any prescription medication, the government pays it all, she is telling me that when we marry I will be covered on this health insurance for any medical problem I might have....but I'm thinking that the government will probably say ' he is a foreigner so we won't pay and he is not covered'....so just wondered if anybody is in this situation maybe can throw a bit of light on the subject.
    many thanks
    essex boys
    Immediate family (Thai) are defiantly covered as Mrs was the GOV officer that took care of registering mother-in -law for medical expenses until she resigned, then another sister registered M-I-L using her GOV ID, I did ask the question if she registered me but she is unsure (cannot remember) she did change her GOV ID and teacher licence from maiden to married name immediately after I signed my life away, thats the time she would have inquired (many moons ago).
    But its something worth investigating, I would be interested in the definitive answer, be worth getting documentation from the ministry if it is allowed, if it is your Mrs would register you, my M-I-L is registered at three hospitals (same province) and they are link by a central database, so she just needs show her Thai ID.
    If wondering why three hospitals, it dependents on the treatment or check-up required, that determines the hospital used.
    bangkok mags

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Essex boys's Avatar

Hi sisaket, thanks for your reply, I know the government paid for the gf's mums hospital bill, although she later died in hospital...they pay for her father when he has been in hospital, and just recently an elderly friend of my gf couldn't afford the prescription for her tablets ( a one off illness) so my gf took her to the hospital and got her medication free of charge, it's just a very grey area that I wanted clarified, I have no doubt that there is a bit of 'corruption ' going on here but my gf would never admit to it....I just think that because I'm not a Thai national even if I was married to the gf, the free medical stuff wouldn't apply to me...the gf is insistent that it would, but I don't want to be laying on a hospital bed waiting for surgery or whatever only to find out I'm not covered unless I part with some 'tea money'...