Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Lonerider's Avatar
    Yorkshireman divided between Chum Phae & Iraq

Default Making a Will in Thailand

Is there anywhere in Thailand where I can make a new Will?

I do have one already but its about 10 years old, and has my ex wife on it. Its kept at a Solicitors in the UK.

I would like to do another one in Thailand to cancel the one in the UK out.

Thanks in advance

Wayne

Member สมาชิก

First question is - in which country are your assets ?
    Make your will in UK if your assets are in UK
    Make your will in Thailand if your assets are in Thailand
    If your assets are in both countries than make separate wills in both countries.
    There are many English speaking solicitors in Thailand who will make a will for you.

"I would like to do another one in Thailand to cancel the one in the UK out".
    I would take further advice on this- I don't know if a will in Thailand will be legal in UK.
    found on google - you need a Will to be drawn up for each jurisdiction in which you hold assets, and the document must be written in the language of those courts. You cannot submit a Thai Will to the courts in the UK, and likewise, and UK Last Will and Testament would not be admissible to courts in Thailand.

Tim
    Last edited by Tobias; 22nd May 2020 at 13:52. Reason: Changed font to ease reading

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lonerider View Post

I do have one already but its about 10 years old, and has my ex wife on it. Its kept at a Solicitors in the UK.

I would like to do another one in Thailand to cancel the one in the UK out...
    You should contact your UK solicitor and advise him that the will in his possession is now revoked and should be destroyed.

Should you die before your existing will is revoked it will remain valid and your ex-wife will be entitled to everything she was bequeathed in that will.
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonerider View Post

I would like to do another one in Thailand to cancel the one in the UK out.

Thanks in advance

Wayne
    Try your local (Thai) government district office (or main provincial) they were able to have wills drawn up signed and stamped at one time, it was a long time since I had to deal with this, but ours were done in Bangkok, also needed a couple of independent signatory's (witnesses).
    If anything complex, there are a number of English speaking lawyers that would be able to assist.
    bangkok mags

Thanks for the information guys, I will get intouch with the solicitors in the UK and get it revoked and whewn I get home I will look at getting one done locally and if not I will get intouch with one of the English speaking Lawers

Am I correct it saying that if I revoke the one in the UK then everything will automatically go to Ohm?
    I dont have any assetts in the UK, just my military pension, which will be dealt with separately as Ohm will be entitled to a widows pension from it

Hi Wayne, I think I'm right in saying that if you revoke your will in the UK and (God forbid) die before you make a new (UK) will then the laws of intestacy will apply so it is by no means certain that everything will go to Ohm. Are you and Ohm actually married? I mean a marriage recognised in the UK as opposed to a Thai village ceremony. That could prove vital.

As Tobias has said, contact your UK solicitor asap to revoke your UK will but also to consider a fresh will to deal with UK assets as you see fit.

I copied the link below from another thread on here dealing with similar issues. Absolutley no idea who they are or what their advice and / or charges are like but something you may wish to look into.

www.isaanlawyers.com

All the best - Allan

Blog Entries

I've just reread my first post, it looks like I had a dose of brain freeze when I posted that!

In my haste I was not clear in my earlier response, so I will clarify the UK position, in UK law a Will remains valid after a divorce but, for inheritance purposes, your ex-wife will be treated as if she had died when your divorce was granted. So the rules of intestacy apply (as mentioned by Allan).

All sorts of complications can arise, particularly if the ex-wife is named as an executor or there is a trust established.
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Are you and Ohm actually married? I mean a marriage recognised in the UK as opposed to a Thai village ceremony. That could prove vital.
    Allan, thanks for the info. Yes we are legally married, all above board lol. Marriage Certs, MoI stamped paperwork, the full shabang. We have not had a village wedding yet and to be fair I am not bothered about having one, Ohm has not mentioned it for ages so she cant be that bothered either.

Thanks Tobias, I will get it sorted, I will have to try and ring them, they may, however, want it in writing and being stuck at work at the moment may make that difficult.