Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: What car to buy

Old Hand มือเก่า

Default What car to buy

I am looking at buying a new car, here in Thailand, in the next few months. My budget is up to 600,000 baht. I am a complete novice with anything relating to cars and I've resorted to looking for decent reviews online. However, this method is very inconsistent and unreliable so I'd appreciate any petrol heads who can offer any assistance.

I've looked at the new Almera and it is a nice motor and big improvement on the previous models. However, it loses value incredibly quickly.

I like Honda most of all but they are more expensive than the others. The standard City is within budget but doesn't look as nice as before.

Toyota has the Yaris which looks decent but again I've heard mixed things.

The Mazda C2 looks the business from the outside but doesn't have a great reputation.

I will be driving around town rather than long distances and I'm a snail in comparison to drivers here so high speed performance isn't an issue. I have two children which I need to consider also. Fuel consumption is a big issue for me as the car I currently drive is heavy on such.

Thanks in advance.

Old Hand มือเก่า

Honda, Toyota spend a little bit more and go for a Tesla.

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk

I dread to think how much a Tesla would be in Thailand. I would imagine it would far eclipse any 600k budget

Quote Originally Posted by te2008 View Post
    spend a little bit more and go for a Tesla
    Just a bit. Lol.
    3,500,000 and upwards
    Paul พอล
    กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

When renting when I am in Thailand I try to rent a Honda Jazz 4 door Auto 7 speed box big boot and have always found it good on petrol
    If you think you fancy something try and hire one for a day or two,then you will not make a mistake.Good luck
    Melnathan

Old Hand มือเก่า
    ต้องการนักแปล

15 k will buy you a lot of car .....buy second hand spend around £2500-£5000 bank the rest you will get a good motor ,,,but it boils down to you at the end of the day .
    What you want ..or the wife LOL .
    Remember all you do every week is feed it more ££££££££££££££££££££,

Old Hand มือเก่า

Samsung, I've always bought second-hand, but that was in the UK where I know there is the AA to check the car and aftercare services. I wouldn't like to take my chances here purely because I don't know what I'm getting into. Also, for some brands, such as Honda, the price of used cars is extortionate.

I've always been happy to drive a motorbike and the Jazz we have but my new job is in Pattaya so I'm thinking safety first now.

My missus sees Hello Kitty as a car accessory so she won't be getting a say. If she had her way she'd have something "narak". My outlaws see getting in my car as an open invitation to eat snacks whilst continuously offering advice on how to drive, park, increase/decrease the air-con. If I had mine I'd buy a horse box for them. Guess a compromise is needed.

Mitsubishi L200 = Bulletproof
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

[QUOTE=Barnet;287656 continuously offering advice on how to drive, park, increase/decrease the air-con.[/QUOTE]
    Annoyingly that's exactly like my Mrs.
    We have a (Jane) Yaris manual, 1.5 engine, have to have a car which she can sit in and drive without to much bother, hence small car, this one she can adjust the seat and not need cushions etc, we tried Ford Fiesta, Jazz,March,Swift, but went for Jane and the 1.5 engine.
    https://www.one2car.com/en
    bangkok mags

Member สมาชิก

I personally purchased a new truck because l wanted the security of "if something goes wrong", We visited 2nd hand dealerships but was disapointed in their sales methods, our next move will be to trade it in for a smaller car most likely a Jazz or Yaris. Personally l believe.. Honda, Toyota Nissan and Madza have excellent dealer networks, l can't fault the service from Madza.

Barnet if the car is for the wife, Thai ladies love the Suzuki Swift!

Good luck with the search...
    Grahame
    เกรแฮม

Old Hand มือเก่า

No mate, this motor would have fingerprint id start up if I could find it so she couldn't go near it.

Nealy, I looked at Mazda twice this week and their motors are indeed very nice on the eye. I had a go in a Honda City S today and was surprised at how cheap and tacky the interior is.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnet View Post
    I've looked at the new Almera and it is a nice motor and big improvement on the previous models. However, it loses value incredibly quickly.
    My other half got an Almera when they were a new model. The suspension is a bit harsh, but it's a hell of a big car for not a lot. The interior is very spacious and I would imagine unbeatable at the price point and the boot is a good size as well. She got the 1.2ltr model, because of the then new tax system for cars. But it cruises happily at 120kph and whilst you make the point that it doesn't hold it's value, they are cheap as chips to run. A full tank is circa 650 baht and the car has been very reliable.
    'Tis me

Old Hand มือเก่า

The Almera seems the best value for money for me. I really like the top and middle grade models that have just come out plus six airbags.

Old Hand มือเก่า
    ต้องการนักแปล

I do enjoy watching the guys outside hotels stopping all oncoming traffic with there whistle and in most cases causing chaos ,LOL .
    Or how everyone jumps out and stands in the way helping you park and your thinking get out the way i can not see .

Old Hand มือเก่า

When we went to Honda this morning it was raining slightly but the really nice cool, refreshing type. The security guard was over in a shot with his whistle in his mouth whilst trying to shelter us under his brolly. I must say how much I admire anybody who takes as much pride in a job where the pay is terrible and the heat in those sweaty uniforms must be unbearable. When we got to reception the guard simply ushered us inside and said the immortal word..."Farang..."

Member สมาชิก

Best time to shop it would appear is leading up to end of year, and major public holidays like Songkran when they seem to run more promotions. We got a great deal in December on a new Honda Mobilio 'V' from a main dealer at Ayuttaya for my sister in law, 699,000 thb including lots of free extras and a ridiculously low APR. The Honda had the best engine and trim specs in the price bracket. We just wanted a 7 seater.

Personally I would look at something almost new. Where someone had returned the car to dealer as they could not afford payments, due to for example C19. There must be lots of these kicking around the main dealers.
    www.toyotasure.com for example.
    Or look round Pattaya for a Western owned car a few years old, where owner looking to sell, lots of websites and there is always FBook.
    Let someone else suffer the initial depreciation.