Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  19
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Rookie มือใหม่
    Join Date
    3 Jul 2020
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    3

    Default Advice on getting my girlfriend a UK visitor visa

    I haven't seen my partner for 6 months. With the quarantine rules I can't really take enough time off work to visit Thailand so we are hoping she can finally visit UK. As you can see in description below, some points I'm concerned about.

    We have been together for nearly 4 years, but were apart for about a year in the middle of that.

    She currently isn't working because of Covid. I have been supporting her financially. Before that she worked in restaurants, bars and salons etc, all cash in hand stuff.
    She has an 8 yr old son, and we're hoping this is enough proof that she will return to Thailand, although he does live back at her home village with her Mum. May lives in Chiang Mai.

    She has had several trips to Netherlands in the past to visit her ex.

    On that note, and this is something I'm worried about, in 2018 when we were apart she did actually get back together with him and visited again. She thinks we shouldn't mention this on the application but I'm certain they will see stamps in her passport and ask questions. If they think we're hiding something it's game over for sure. I also think it could actually work in our favour - evidence of several trips to Europe where she complied with Visa regs and always returned to Thailand.

    We have bags of evidence such as photos, flights, trips abroad, hotels, financial support, etc etc. to prove our relationship is genuine and dates back to 2016.

    I am an full time Service Engineer, home owner, no dependants.

    We had hoped to get a 6 month visa, therefore she could come around August for a month or so, and then again for Christmas and New Years.

  2. #2

    Default

    Hi Alex,

    If this was my application I definitely wouldn't try to skate over points of fact which the ECO will definitely question. This would be highly likely to get your girlfriends application denied.

    First of all, the lack of work is sometimes an issue from what I have seen. All is not lost though as there are so many people in Thailand who work for cash. I would include something in her letter of intention to the ECO about her being let go from her most recent job due to COVID and as such you have been financially supporting her.

    Secondly, in the same letter of intention I would make a strong point about her bond with her son & mother. Obviously she can't stay on in the UK working illegally as she has to be there to support her son and care for her mother... right?

    As for the trips to the EX boyfriends country, there are two routes you could go down.

    1.) you could tell a white lie that the trips were to visit friends or family.
    2.) explain the fact that you broke up for 12 months and she met someone else.

    Issue with option one: It's a lie and if they suspect so your girlfriend will have her application binned and possibly get banned for 10 years.

    Issue with option two: Whilst perfectly normal in real life it may cause the ECO to question whether you are actually in a subsisting relationship.
    It would be very important for you explain the situation properly and clearly. If you worded it well they would probably be understanding and her sticking within the guidelines of the visas would definitely be viewed as a positive.

    Finally, the photos are now irrelevant. They used to accept pictures together as supporting evidence of a subsisting relationship. It all has to be done via the other documents you stated now.

    questions:

    Does your girlfriend own any land/house?
    Does your girlfriend rent an apartment or house?
    Does your girlfriend own anything of high value which can't easily be removed from Thailand?
    Are there any other things that you can think of that may tie her financially or emotionally to Thailand?

    If yes to any of the above it is also worth mentioning them in her letter.


    I think it would also be prudent to state that whilst its her first trip to the UK, you think there may be future trips and would not want to jeopardise these by her overstaying.

    Feel free to ask if you have any more questions. Everyone on here is pretty friendly!

    good luck
    Last edited by walshie; 3rd Jul 2020 at 18:59. Reason: Wrote wife instead of girlfriend.

  3. #3
    Rookie มือใหม่
    Join Date
    3 Jul 2020
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by walshie View Post
    Hi Alex,

    Secondly, in the same letter of intention I would make a strong point about her bond with her son & mother. Obviously she can't stay on in the UK working illegally as she has to be there to support her son and care for her mother... right?
    Correct, this is really the only thing that proves she will return.
    Quote Originally Posted by walshie View Post
    As for the trips to the EX boyfriends country, there are two routes you could go down.

    1.) you could tell a white lie that the trips were to visit friends or family.
    2.) explain the fact that you broke up for 12 months and she met someone else.

    Issue with option one: It's a lie and if they suspect so your girlfriend will have her application binned and possibly get banned for 10 years.

    Issue with option two: Whilst perfectly normal in real life it may cause the ECO to question whether you are actually in a subsisting relationship.
    It would be very important for you explain the situation properly and clearly. If you worded it well they would probably be understanding and her sticking within the guidelines of the visas would definitely be viewed as a positive.
    I think she would definitely prefer option 1. and if she prefers it, that generally means that's what we'll do. She thinks we shouldn't mention it at all. I have told her they are going to see the stamps and ask questions. Her response is that she will say she visits friends there if they call and ask.


    questions:

    Does your girlfriend own any land/house? No
    Does your girlfriend rent an apartment or house? Rents a Room yes
    Does your girlfriend own anything of high value which can't easily be removed from Thailand? No
    Are there any other things that you can think of that may tie her financially or emotionally to Thailand? Other than Mother and Son, no not really.

    If yes to any of the above it is also worth mentioning them in her letter.

    Quote Originally Posted by walshie View Post
    I think it would also be prudent to state that whilst its her first trip to the UK, you think there may be future trips and would not want to jeopardise these by her overstaying.
    good luck
    Yea we already have something along these lines in our drafts of letters.

    Thanks for help. I will continue to search the forum for helpful advice!

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    29 Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,971

    Default

    Its been such a long time since i did one of these but do not lie as this could result in a 10 year ban .On travel to the UK .Maybe play the current situation in the world to your favour as well .Its the whole package that will get her the visitor visa .The Uk will be desperate to get Visitors back here at the moment ..

  5. #5
    Moderator Tobias's Avatar
    Join Date
    20 Jun 2003
    Location
    UK/USA
    Posts
    17,161
    Blog Entries
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Samsung View Post
    Its been such a long time since i did one of these but do not lie as this could result in a 10 year ban .On travel to the UK .Maybe play the current situation in the world to your favour as well .Its the whole package that will get her the visitor visa .The Uk will be desperate to get Visitors back here at the moment ..
    Absolutely spot on, Samsung

    My advice is to always tell the truth on immigration matters. As Samsung rightly says, if an applicant deliberately provides any false or misleading information and this comes to light, the applicant will automatically be prevented from applying for a visit visa for a period of 10 years.

    There is nothing to hide here, there is nothing in the OP that would suggest the applicant would be refused because of her immigration history.

    Do not mislead, you do not know what information is shared between different countries in regards to immigration matters.
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.

  6. #6
    Premium Member KhunIanB-UK's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Apr 2003
    Location
    Coventry - Ban Phu, Udon Thani
    Posts
    7,666

    Default

    She has had several trips to Netherlands in the past to visit her ex
    That should really work in your favour, if she has always abided by the conditions of the visa, as it shows that she has not abused past visa conditions and so is likely to return on the issue of this visa application.

    I would tell the truth as you have put on here. Relationships change and you've actually brought yourselves closer together by the way your relationship has developed. They will be more concerned about her breaking the conditions of the visa that breaking up with you.

    Don't get caught up in lies and cover ups.

  7. #7
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ
    Join Date
    13 May 2019
    Posts
    250

    Default

    My wife and I always kept to the truth when applying for Visas, no embellishments, only the truth. The way we looked at it was that once you start lying it gets harder to answer questions because they are not real memories. Obvious I know but if you are put under pressure you can get caught out. So I echo the guys thoughts on this, just keep to the truth

  8. #8
    Premium Member Grahame's Avatar
    Join Date
    17 Feb 2003
    Location
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Posts
    2,262

    Default

    Alex I can only concur with the others who have already responded above. From my experience having gone through this process three times over the past 18 years is to go with "Honesty is the best policy"

    Don't lie about previous visits to ex's, that won't go against her and as mentioned above shows that she can be trusted to return after her visit. People move on... particularly in Thailand so the officer will be used to that.

    I guess the biggest challenge is convincing them that she WILL return to Thailand and not overstay, hence why it is important to stress in the application all of her "ties" to Thailand whether that be family, children, house, land, money, job, etc and as you say they will take into account previous visits to Europe and the fact that she did the right thing complied with the rules and came home.

    Others have also mentioned that these days it is a private company VFS Global who do all the processing for UK visas and therefore you are not dealing with a UK entry officer anymore - these are specially trained staff who have targets and quotas to meet which I am afraid doesn't help sometimes. The good news though is if you pay the extra fees and do the fast track service for dropping off the paperwork often if and when they need to interview your GF they will do this over the phone avoiding the need to return to Bangkok for a face to face meeting. Remember VFS Global is a huge global company and they also do the processing of Visas for the Netherlands so they WILL have access to her previous applications when she visited her ex.

    One last piece of advice and another area they will look at is her bank account, its worth making sure she has enough funds in her account, whilst you are clearly the sponsor they need to see she has adequate funds of her own. Many BF's and Farang parents etc often give them funds to put in their account to help with this.

    Good luck mate and I hope you get to see each other again very soon!
    Grahame
    เกรแฮม

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    29 Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,971

    Default

    OK
    guys
    I do think when my wife now got her visitor visa it was due to .
    1,,,evidence of 3 years together visits and hols to Vietnam and other places together.
    2,phone records calls tex messages over that period
    3..social media contacts over tha period .
    4,plane trips hotels booking
    please get the picture me and my now wife,
    Spent courting.
    It was around 4 months a year living and traveling together for 3 years ,
    SOLID is what they call it not a holiday romance be sure everything is ok .
    They will be more things you need .
    Just go for it,
    I my self think if its affordable then it should be green light only.
    And no problem .
    It cost around £100 pound.
    And if you get a refuse
    Do it again ,But lies forget it .
    Could lead to big problems .
    A quick one tick the boxes
    funds available ?
    housing available?
    no criminal records ?
    and all else questions answered .?
    Then it leads to
    REASON TO RETURN ?
    The no right
    No wrong only a JUDGEMENT with no right to object .
    Last edited by Samsung; 9th Jul 2020 at 10:58.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    29 Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,971

    Default

    With funds to bank account make it real .
    Do not throw 20 grand into an account but 300 pounds each month over a 12 month period for 3 years would be great .

  11. #11
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ
    Join Date
    20 Jul 2015
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Be honest the risk of being caught out is to high. Do not move large sums of money around it looks suspicious. Apply with the truth and if refused do not lose heart but reapply immediately directly addressing the objection reason. I have found that this works. I now know four people who were refused on first application and then accepted within a month of reapplying I think they like to make sure you are serious by refusing the first application.

  12. #12
    Premium Member Grahame's Avatar
    Join Date
    17 Feb 2003
    Location
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Posts
    2,262

    Default

    Carl I thought you had to wait 6 months for a reapplication? I know you can appeal on a refusal but I didn't realise you could reapply immediately?

    I agree about the moving of large sums around too, that would be obvious to any visa officer but if Alex has been sending regular sums hopefully May has been saving some for this purpose if not she needs to build some funds up in her account. If she has insufficient funds in her bank account this could be an immediate "No" to a visa..
    Grahame
    เกรแฮม

  13. #13
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ
    Join Date
    20 Jul 2015
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Not unless they have changed the rules in the last 3 years and I don't think they have. I helped several people with their applications to visit newish partners all were refused on rather tenuous grounds eg insufficient evidence of relationship, one was refused for putting money into her account before applying etc. On all 4 reapplied straight away and then were passed. On 1. we put 100 odd pages of social media conversation. the other we explained it was a gift from father and put a large explanation of her finances and how she would be supported in the uk etc
    Insufficent funds on its own is not a reason for refusal as the key issue is how they will be supported so the question is what resources does the partner have and how prepared are they to guarantee funds for the stay and be able to prove they have them

  14. #14
    Premium Member Grahame's Avatar
    Join Date
    17 Feb 2003
    Location
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Posts
    2,262

    Default

    Thanks Carl that's great, I was just going off my own personal experience, we applied in 2018 and the reasons given for refusal included the lack of funds in her own account despite the fact that I was sponsoring her 100% and she did not need any funds. We were told we had to wait 6 months to reapply.
    Grahame
    เกรแฮม

  15. #15
    Premium Member -Keith-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    18 Sep 2002
    Location
    East London
    Posts
    5,522

    Default

    I strongly disagree about funds in a bank account. Carl, you normally find on vv refusals that there is one main reason. The rest is just padding, I suspect the mention of money was just that.
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

  16. #16
    Member สมาชิก
    Join Date
    5 Aug 2017
    Posts
    20

    Default

    Carl is absolutely right. There is a very good chance your first visa application will get refused but do not get disheartened just re-apply straight away and address the reasons for refusal and always tell the truth.

  17. #17
    Old Hand มือเก่า
    Join Date
    27 Jan 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,622

    Default

    Alex, You have to be careful that your Girlfriend is not under the radar with the immigration office. If so then you'll have no chance.


    Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ
    Join Date
    20 Jul 2015
    Posts
    269

    Default

    Sorry Keith the main and only reason given on the one refusal was the appearance of a sum of money that wasn't explained in her bank account. Remember they are acutely aware of people being used as drug mules and the appearance of money in the bank account that is a one off payment is a flag for this.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    29 Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,971

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grahame View Post
    Thanks Carl that's great, I was just going off my own personal experience, we applied in 2018 and the reasons given for refusal included the lack of funds in her own account despite the fact that I was sponsoring her 100% and she did not need any funds. We were told we had to wait 6 months to reapply.
    i was well advised long before i applied for my now wife's visitor visa to put some money in her account every month which she only took a little as she was not working .The money was eventually used to gain her a uk entry visa and fees towards that .But i only applied for one visitor visa and had been with my wife 3 years many trips away with her and visits .

  20. #20

    Default

    I never supplied my, then, girlfriend's bank statements at all for either of her visit visas. I simply explained that she was paid in cash and after she had paid her rent and sent money home to her family the rest was hers to live for the month.

    We had only been together for four months when she applied for her first visit visa.

    In my experience padding a girlfriend's account doesn’t work and a visa can be refused because it's been padded. In my sponsor letter I explained that I would be covering all costs and explained that she had £100 emergency cash for incidentals. That was it.

    The sticking point for many visas is the reason to return. A job to return to is probably best. If she lost her job, explain that she lost it due to Covid and now has plenty of time on her hands to visit the UK.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 14th May 2018, 05:30
  2. UK visitor Visa for new Thai girlfriend.
    By harveys in forum UK Visas
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 22nd Jun 2015, 22:29
  3. Advice on Visitor's visa for my Lao girlfriend
    By BertieTBE in forum UK Visas
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 12th Jun 2012, 22:36
  4. Advice needed for Visitor Visa for girlfriend
    By gregr7 in forum UK Visas
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 28th May 2012, 22:13
  5. Advice please, thanks, re Visa for girlfriend
    By LondonM in forum UK Visas
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 5th May 2011, 14:51

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •