Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  20
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Old Hand มือเก่า

Default [Hotels urged to end dual pricing scheme]

Stories like this just crack me right up. As if dual prices will change without being forced to. Pathetic really. Add to that these predictions of foreigners spending 6-8k a day on holiday here compared with 4k Thai. Where do they get this drivel from? Maybe I'm the exception to the norm but I've never paid anywhere near that for a day in Thailand.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business...erbox#cxrecs_s

Add to that these predictions of foreigners spending 6-8k a day on holiday here compared with 4k Thai. Where do they get this drivel from? Maybe I'm the exception to the norm but I've never paid anywhere near that for a day in Thailand.
    I most certainly do spend roughly that amount most holidays I budget 10k plus per day plus hotel and car hire etc. its only 200 pounds

That said dual pricing is not likely to change and as I am not an expat I guess I have differing economic circumstances.
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Agreed ash. I budget around £200 per day when holidaying in Thailand. Any less and I start feeling nervous/irritated a few days before we fly back!!
    As for the double pricing on things its astonishing that someone in government hasn’t had the balls to say... “ we are dependent on tourism, let’s at least try to make the tourists feel welcome by dropping double charges and not referring to them as farrang!!”

I have absolutely no problem being called farrang.
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

So if my Thai wife books a hotel does she get it cheaper ?? First I hve heard of dual pricing
    Quote Originally Posted by walshie View Post
    Agreed ash. I budget around £200 per day when holidaying in Thailand. Any less and I start feeling nervous/irritated a few days before we fly back!!
    As for the double pricing on things its astonishing that someone in government hasn’t had the balls to say... “ we are dependent on tourism, let’s at least try to make the tourists feel welcome by dropping double charges and not referring to them as farrang!!”

Old Hand มือเก่า

When I'm on a vacation in Thailand my budget for the week would be £50.00 - £100.00. that's not including hotels.
    When in Hau Hin,our accommodation is free because we have good friends that will take good care of us.

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk

This article is really about getting expats to holiday more in Thailand as they can't currently sensibly travel abroad. I welcome the article as it acknowledges our spending power that can aid the economy. A welcome change in attitude. As for how much we all spend on an internal Thai holiday, that will obviously vary from location to location. As for dual pricing, I usually check what's available on the usual booking sites before comparing with the hotel's own prices. Not really sure dual pricing comes into it, being honest. I will generally spend more on a holiday as hotel fees have to be paid, dining out is the norn, booking boat rides or trips where appropriate, sometimes hiring a car, and whatever else crops up. So will definitely spend more than if simply staying home.

Im in no rush to travel in Thailand as an expat.
    Reasons.

1/ Daughter at school so time available to travel will be busy eg. Weekends, bank holidays and October if school holidays.

2/ TM 30. Please get rid of it altogether.

3/ Dual pricing for National parks, Water parks, Historical parks, zoos, shows etc.
    I have seen dual pricing for Hotels on a few occasions, some hotels were surprisingly open and honest about it, but for sure it's not the norm.

4/ Weather is unpredictable this time of year.

We do travel a little locally, weather permitting so we get days out.

Old Hand มือเก่า

I've traveled all over Thailand in the past but I've stopped due to the driving standards. In the past it didn't worry me too much but with two kids with me now it doesn't appeal.

The article refers to ex-pats who live here rather than people coming in from abroad. I don't know anybody in that category who spends 6-8k per day. It's not just the islands and beaches he's talking about it's other parts of the country. I can't speak for anyone other than those I know and work with and those sort of figures are insane in comparison to salaries and pensions etc.

The dual-pricing refers to national parks rather than hotels.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Lonerider's Avatar
    Yorkshireman divided between Chum Phae & Iraq

I don't like the dual pricing to the point where if I don't see a price on something then I don't buy and take my business elsewhere, or if I am walking about on my own and I see something then I will find out the price, try and take a photo then send Ohm to go get it later on. For me its not necessarily about the price but the principle.

I also dislike the word Farrang, I find it the same as me calling them all the derogative Asian names we all know and have heard.

Old Hand มือเก่า

Got to agree. I think it's a term that would not be missed. On holiday it's different because it's part of the discourse but living here and hearing it all through my lunch or dinner when my family are trying to have a meal..."farang, luuk farang, farang noi, mia farang.." (Foreigner, foreign child, baby foreigner, wife of foreigner). I compare it to working in London and assuming people of different races are tourists and living in Hertfordshire and calling your neighbours the same.

I'm not overly-sensitive but it gets to a point when you get fed-up hearing it. I know people that honestly don't mind it and refer to themselves as farangs and those that have the tinfoil chewing affect upon it's mention. I'm under the opinion that it sounds ignorant and dated and really by now should be discouraged.

In the past month I've visited a fantastic aquarium in Roi-et, an art gallery in Kalasin and countless other local attractions that are far more genuine and traditional than the national attractions that charge extra. These are all free and you can leave a donation at the end. If you do a quick review of the area you visit you'll find you don't need to go to the dual-priced establishments at all.

I'm fairly relaxed about being referred to as a farang, what is weirder is being referred to as an alien in Immigration law !

I'm the same as walshie, visiting Thailand normally does cost me a lot ! In terms of hotels, my wife always handles the price negotiation and I'd be very confident we get a lower price as a result. However now we have a house and a car in Thailand costs are less. Renting a Fortuner for 3-4 weeks is not cheap so that is a lot of money saved.

Farang can be derogatory but so what its just a name these days I get called Pi (old fa rt) so what its true

As for hotels we normally stay in the Hilton or equivalent and they do dual pricing expensive or more expensive

Banned

if your insulted tell the muppets ,
    its that easy .hey idiot dont call me you pum pui stupid idiot

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by Samsung View Post
    if your insulted tell the muppets ,
    its that easy .hey idiot dont call me you pum pui stupid idiot
    That ought to do it Samsung....

Like I say, I'm not offended so much as irritated by it. Like a constant buzzing wherever you go. Living with it and holidaying with it create different effects.

I think the problem is that we are British. We think we are at the top of the tree and all countries should be up to our standards of Political correctness, health and Safety, general politeness etc. etc. I certainly hope Thailand don't follow suit anytime soon, I love not wearing a helmet and covered from head to toe in high vis clothing complete with head lamp, bum lamp......but that's just me. If they as a people do not collectively think its offensive to call us these names then that's their right. We cannot tell them otherwise, we have no god given right to educate them, maybe we are wrong in their eyes.

My wife's neighbour, their boy, I think he's around 9 or 10 yrs of age and is known as 'Fat'Boy by everyone...no eyebrows raised. Whilst I think its funny, I'm certainly not going to be telling them that they cannot call him that. Why, A) he has eaten far too many Donuts, there's no denying it and B) what a complete idiot I would look throwing my British Moral's around everywhere...

Remember, Wear a Mask indoors, Stay out of Wales and Stay safe....

Old Hand มือเก่า

Who said it's just Brits that don't like it? Ask other ex-pats here from any nationality and some will be fine with it and others not so. I don't think it has anything to do with Brit morals whatsoever it's just about people who live and work in the country or retire here preferring not to be called it. We have no right to educate anybody but, if the country, whether it be Thailand or Spain or whoever rely heavily upon us coming over and back again surely it makes sense to keep that revenue source content wherever possible.

The helmet wearing is a Thai law not what we tell them, no idea where that came from. In fact the majority of foreigners I see around this area don't wear one either. I've no issue if anybody chooses not to wear one. It will increase the chances of dying a hell of a lot higher but that's your choice. It also gives the cops a nice side earner so hey-ho keep on going. My only issue with it is why anybody with a mm of brain capacity would put their child on a bike without one when you can purchase a kid's helmet for 250bt at Tesco or Big C.

I taught a kid once called Fat Black, because, he was fat and dark skinned. He never had an issue with it on the face of it but given the choice of being called by his name then I'd imagine he'd rather take that so I always called him by his real nickname. Again, it's Thais that call them this not us. I've never heard any of my friends or other instances of foreigners kicking off about it. Again, don't see where this relates.

Many countries have words to describe foreigners e.g Mzungu in Swahili Gadgin Japanese Farang in Thai its only a problem when people make it so.

You choose to live somewhere suck it up and develop a thick skin or move

Old Hand มือเก่า

Cracking advice. Guess that's me Walshie and Lonerider looking for new places to live then.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnet View Post
    Cracking advice. Guess that's me Walshie and Lonerider looking for new places to live then.
    Why do you think I am back in the UK