Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Retiring to Thailand

Afternoon all. Hope all keeping safe and well.
    Apologies for this question. I’m looking at retiring to Thailand along with my wife, who is Thai (she’s been here in Uk since 2010 and has dual citizenship). It won’t be for another two years. And I appreciate things change as regards visas etc.
    As things stand, which would be the best method for me to take as regards a visa for me to retire there please?
    Do all methods require a certain amount in a Thai Bank account?
    What are the longest visas that can be applied for at any one time? Are there income requirements applicable?
    Thanks so much for any help and advice
    Ian

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Yanto how old are you. I think it plays such an important part. 3 or 4 years ago I had plans to retire to Thailand but and a huge but these came to the fore. Firstly the house would not be in my name and if things go wrong you are in **** street nothing to come back to. Secondly health insurance almost impossible at 70 years and now I am 75 i am led to understand near not a chance.
    I love Thailand having been going back and forwards since 2001 wife's family are all there and make me most welcome but to give everything up here scares the life out of me, but if you think you can make it work I wish you all the luck in the world.
    Melnathan

Hi Melnathan. I’m 60 now. Will retire and emigrate at 63. Been married (second time) for 11 years in January. Wife been here since 2010 and has British citizenship. We have two pieces of land in Thailand now and will build a 3 bed bungalow on one of them. I totally understand what you mean re not owning anything over there. I went to the Land Registry Office with my wife when we bought our land. I take her word when she says that if anything happens to her it comes to me. Obviously that doesn’t include divorce. But I’ll have my own money back here. And I trust her completely.
    Ian

Banned

I am sure you could not own land yourself but a business could limited company in Thailand.
    Or the other way to secure your future in Thailand would be to rent from your wife say for 40 years at a token payment per month .
    I mean i am no expert and i to trust my wife as you do yours but the family well that could be a different ball game .

Samsung - I have heard that about renting. I get on extremely well with my wife’s family. But I guess things change.
    Do you have experience re which visa is best?

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

Quote Originally Posted by Yanto View Post
    I went to the Land Registry Office with my wife when we bought our land. I take her word when she says that if anything happens to her it comes to me.
    Ian
    Make sure your wife makes a will making you the beneficiary and executor of her will otherwise you can run foul of Thai inheritance laws

Quote Originally Posted by jimmbo60 View Post
    Make sure your wife makes a will making you the beneficiary and executor of her will otherwise you can run foul of Thai inheritance laws
    Thank you. Appreciate it.
    Would still like to know which visa is best though please if anyone has experience?

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ toddmeister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Samsung View Post
    I am sure you could not own land yourself but a business could limited company in Thailand.
    Or the other way to secure your future in Thailand would be to rent from your wife say for 40 years at a token payment per month .
    I mean i am no expert and i to trust my wife as you do yours but the family well that could be a different ball game .
    Or get a 30 year Usufruct for example, which would protect your right to remain in the property for the duration of the agreement. So if for example your wife died before you and title of the house passed to a Thai family member the Usufruct gives you a legal right to stay in the property until the duration of the Usufruct expires.

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yanto View Post
    Thank you. Appreciate it.
    Would still like to know which visa is best though please if anyone has experience?
    I'm far too young to qualify for such visas However I believe you would have a couple of options:-

non-immigrant OA retirement visa. Valid for 1 year then renewable every year. I believe the requirements are 50yo plus, and either 65,000thb monthly income paid into a Thai bank account OR balance of 800,000thb in a Thai bank account

1 year extension of stay based on marriage (or a Thai marriage visa) renewable each year. 400,000thb in a thai bank 2 months prior to application or 40,000thb monthly income with confirmation of monthly income from embassy

Quote Originally Posted by toddmeister View Post
    Or get a 30 year Usufruct for example, which would protect your right to remain in the property for the duration of the agreement. So if for example your wife died before you and title of the house passed to a Thai family member the Usufruct gives you a legal right to stay in the property until the duration of the Usufruct expires.

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

I'm far too young to qualify for such visas However I believe you would have a couple of options:-

non-immigrant OA retirement visa. Valid for 1 year then renewable every year. I believe the requirements are 50yo plus, and either 65,000thb monthly income paid into a Thai bank account OR balance of 800,000thb in a Thai bank account

1 year extension of stay based on marriage (or a Thai marriage visa) renewable each year. 400,000thb in a thai bank 2 months prior to application or 40,000thb monthly income with confirmation of monthly income from embassy
    Hi Todd
    Thats excellent information. Thanks. Re the Marriage visa do you know the requirements etc please?

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ toddmeister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Thai Marriage visa is the extension to stay based on marriage as option 2 above. 400,000thb in the bank or 40,000thb monthly income

Quote Originally Posted by toddmeister View Post
    The Thai Marriage visa is the extension to stay based on marriage as option 2 above. 400,000thb in the bank or 40,000thb monthly income
    Todd, thanks again. Do I sort this visa once I get to Thailand or can it be done from Uk beforehand?

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

It is not just as simple as toddmeister says but the basis is correct. There is plenty of documents to be done maps to be drawn visits from immigration, visits to immigration. But yes you do it all in Thailand.

It is not just as simple as toddmeister says but the basis is correct. There is plenty of documents to be done maps to be drawn visits from immigration, visits to immigration. But yes you do it all in Thailand.
    Jim. Thank you. I totally appreciate that these things are not easy as we did my wife’s UK Settlement visa, ILR and Citizenship ourselves. And obviously I’ve got over two years to figure it all out (things could have changed by then anyway!), but just need to identify which visa is best, and the procedure requirements.

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

Yes things do change and they also change from area to area. I feel by far the easier option is the full retirement option it does seem to have less paperwork but ties your capital up.

My wife has been told that there’s a one year visa that can be done in London or Hull before departure. Is this right please?

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

yes you can get a 1 year visa however given covid I am not sure if it will be granted unless you come under the 5 categories they are allowing to enter Thailand at present.

yes you can get a 1 year visa however given covid I am not sure if it will be granted unless you come under the 5 categories they are allowing to enter Thailand at present.
    Fingers crossed Covid19 will be under control by the time we are looking to emigrate in early 2023

Banned

I am looking may be 5 years after your self Yanto unless i win /come into some good fortune in that time ,so i have not looked into what is needed only a little bit and from what i can see is most guys are right about the 800,000 baht for so 6 months in a Thai account then you can withdraw half and keep the rest in an account for the next visa s .
    i am no expert but i think this is how it works .

Quote Originally Posted by Samsung View Post
    I am looking may be 5 years after your self Yanto unless i win /come into some good fortune in that time ,so i have not looked into what is needed only a little bit and from what i can see is most guys are right about the 800,000 baht for so 6 months in a Thai account then you can withdraw half and keep the rest in an account for the next visa s .
    i am no expert but i think this is how it works .
    No issue keeping the 800,000 THB in a Thai account. So it actually reduces when you renew the visa? Or if you withdraw any you need to top it back up before renewing?

Banned

I dont think so i think its 400,000 after the first visa is issued i am sure some one will come along and confirm .
    almost positive i have seen you can take half out after the first visa has been issued .
    Then that is the sum you need in the bank .