Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Samsung View Post
    I dont think so i think its 400,000 after the first visa is issued i am sure some one will come along and confirm .
    almost positive i have seen you can take half out after the first visa has been issued .
    Then that is the sum you need in the bank .
    Thanks Samsung. Appreciate your help. Honestly can’t decide between marriage or retirement route

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

its 800,000 in Thai bank account 3 month (might be 2 months) prior to permit to stay approval date. Then 800,000 for next 3 months, then it can drop down to 400,000 but never below for next 3 months same for next 3 months, then, but I am not sure, back up to 800,000 3 months prior to permit renewal date.

Banned

At the moment if you are not Married or have not got an elite visa or work for a multinational company you will not get into Thailand .
    And this is going to carry on till next year at the least you never know they might change there minds which i doubt sell to the Chinese and keep the baht low twisted corrupt people now are the Thai government /Elite .
    We will see over the next few months what happens new year will be the point of no return .

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jimmbo60 View Post
    its 800,000 in Thai bank account 3 month (might be 2 months) prior to permit to stay approval date. Then 800,000 for next 3 months, then it can drop down to 400,000 but never below for next 3 months same for next 3 months, then, but I am not sure, back up to 800,000 3 months prior to permit renewal date.
    Not so sure if it does go back up hopefully some one can confirm.
    But all good info by everyone keep up the good work at least we care about each other

At the moment if you are not Married or have not got an elite visa or work for a multinational company you will not get into Thailand .
    And this is going to carry on till next year at the least you never know they might change there minds which i doubt sell to the Chinese and keep the baht low twisted corrupt people now are the Thai government /Elite .
    We will see over the next few months what happens new year will be the point of no return .

Not so sure if it does go back up hopefully some one can confirm.
    But all good info by everyone keep up the good work at least we care about each other
    Without wanting to sound selfish, I’m married and so that could be my way in. Not going until March 2023 so hope things clear by then.
    And totally agree that it’s great people are caring about each other. It’s appreciated

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

I would hope by March 2023 things will be back to normal.

What I'll do is get the Non-O from the London embassy for visiting Thai spouse - that is 90 days I think - and then once in Thailand get the 1 year extension based on marriage. In terms of the money, best to put it in the back and not touch it, and put slightly more in in case of fees. If it drops below even by a tiny bit and for a short time, that is trouble I've heard.

I think if I went for a retirement extension rather than a marriage extension my wife would query my motives ! And that requires 800k not 400k. Yes retirement extensions are approved on the spot and marriage extensions have to go the Bangkok for approval, and they want photographs etc, so they are a little mre difficult, but in the long run I think the Thai immigration system will treat foreign spouses better than retirees (just a guess)

Elite Visa is also an option, £1M baht for 20 years in batches of 5 years, but that money is gone and it is a lot of money to pay for convenience. You can find details of that on their website. At least with the 400k or 800k your wife will get it when you die.

Banned

Having worked out what 1 million baht is in ££££££ Its around £25,000 if you have not got then forget Thailand its not a lot in real terms to have spare 1 years wage .
    Remember the UK want £18.600 per year .Which is about the same <<<<<<<<<<<<

I am sure you could not own land yourself but a business could limited company in Thailand.
    Or the other way to secure your future in Thailand would be to rent from your wife say for 40 years at a token payment per month .
    I mean i am no expert and i to trust my wife as you do yours but the family well that could be a different ball game .
    Im sure the rules have changed on using a PLC to own land / properties (for foreigners).
    bangkok mags

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sisaket View Post
    Im sure the rules have changed on using a PLC to own land / properties (for foreigners).
    Not so sure if i am right but a PLC is a public share owned company were a limited company is different only needs a company secretary and managing director correct me if i am wrong and i do not know the Thai laws , at all .But i thought you could own a property in Thailand by a limited company .totally different to a PLC .
    its about the shares and buying and selling a limited company can not trade in them .

Not so sure if i am right but a PLC is a public share owned company were a limited company is different only needs a company secretary and managing director correct me if i am wrong and i do not know the Thai laws , at all .But i thought you could own a property in Thailand by a limited company .totally different to a PLC .
    its about the shares and buying and selling a limited company can not trade in them .
    You need more than a company secretary and a MD and a non Thai can only hold 49% of the company, the exception are Americans, PLC refers to Private Limited Company, I should have made that clearer, as opposed to Public Limited Company.
    Used to be able to hold land / properties in a Private LC in the early 2000's the TH GOV changed that rule (loophole). It seems the early 2000's were a good time to hold land / properties in a PLC
    There is a little reading here in this link:
    https://www.samuiforsale.com/knowled...structure.html
    bangkok mags

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ N Barton's Avatar

Having worked out what 1 million baht is in ££££££ Its around £25,000 if you have not got then forget Thailand its not a lot in real terms to have spare 1 years wage .
    Comparing apples to oranges
    We'll never win the Premier League,
    We'll never win a Cup,
    We'll still follow UNITED !!

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ prikphet's Avatar

Make sure your wife makes a will making you the beneficiary and executor of her will otherwise you can run foul of Thai inheritance laws
    Interesting, would I need to still do this for our Sibling (to inherit her Property, he is British at the moment) - presumably it would have to be a Thai Will ?

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

Quote Originally Posted by prikphet View Post
    Interesting, would I need to still do this for our Sibling (to inherit her Property, he is British at the moment) - presumably it would have to be a Thai Will ?
    I am not sure. My comments were based on my experience as a husband and Nat passed away. Thai inheritance laws meant without a will the house would have gone to my wife's mother first as we did not have children, as descendants come first in a no will situation. I came number 7 in the disbursement list.

Look here https://www.samuiforsale.com/knowled...-thailand.html

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ toddmeister's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by prikphet View Post
    I'd be interested to know too. It's a long way off for us but we intend to build or buy at some point in the future. Our son is British and we've never applied for a Thai passport for him. Would he still be first inline to inherit the property if he wasn't resident in Thailand or a Thai passport holder? Let's say for example my wife and I emigrated when our son is grown up. If my wife passed away before me, with no Thai will in place, would our son back in the UK still automatically inherit?

It isn't a matter of not having it, it is that the moment you pay it out it is gone forever. With a retirement Visa, yes you have to set 800,000 baht aside permanently in the bank (400,000 for marriage Visa), but if you decide to leave Thailand you withdraw it and it is still yours. Or if you die then your wife gets it.

Now, 1 million baht - £25,000 for 20 years - is fine if you're confident you'll stay that long, works out at about £100 per month and maybe looked at on that basis is more palatable. If you don't leave the country for 12 months, yes you have to go to immigration but I'm told that literally all you have to do is present your passport. Don't needs huge wads of documents, aren't at the whim of what a particular immigration officer might want on the day etc. And if you do leave Thailand at least once a year, I don't think you need any visits. 90 day reports till required, can be done online. I've seriously considered it, but my wife would probably be very angry at "losing" that money so I'll probably do the marriage extensions with all the hassle that potentially entails.

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

End of visa amnesty may spell uncertainty for some expats in Thailand

Last month the Thai government confirmed it would extend the visa amnesty for foreigners in Thailand from 31 July to 26 September.

A welcomed move, the extension meant that any tourists who had been stranded in Thailand due to the COVID-19 pandemic had sufficient time to make plans to return to their home countries or should they meet the requirements, switch to an alternative “visa” allowing them to extend their stay in Thailand.

For long term expats, Immigraiton also advised them to get up to date with the 90 day reporting and those who need to renew their extensions of stay based on marriage, retirement or a parent to a Thai child were advised to renew as soon as possible.

However, there is another group of expats for which the end of the visa amnesty period may still spell some uncertainty.

This concerns those who stay in Thailand on a Non-O multiple entry visa. These are obtained from a Thai embassy or consulate overseas.

The Thai Consulates in Ho Chi Minh City, Penang and Savannakhet are popular with applicants of this particular visa type.

Savannakhet, for example, is a little more relaxed when it comes to the documentation it requires foreigners to submit and doesn’t typically ask for proof of finances.

The Non-O multiple entry can be applied for being based on marriage, retirement or being a parent to a Thai child and gives a one year stay in Thailand. It doesn’t require a 90 day report but instead requires the holder to leave the country every 90 days.

Typically those in possession of a Non-O multi entry will do what is known as a ‘border bounce’ - exiting Thailand before returning sometimes immediately - getting stamped back into the country to reactivate the next 90 day stay.

There are a number of reasons why someone would choose to obtain a Non-O multi entry, with the visa type popular with those who for example are married to a Thai but travel in and out of Thailand frequently, it saves having to pay for and the hassle of re-entry permits.

Non-O multi entry are also used by those who prefer not to keep 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account needed for a typical marriage extension, which are obtained from an immigration office within Thailand, as well as with those who perhaps do not quite meet the financial requirements of that extension (see the loophole at Savannakhet mentioned above).

Another benefit is that those on a Non-O multi entry based on marriage or being a parent to a Thai child can also have a work permit allowing them to legally work in Thailand.

However, an immigration order effective from 1 August 2020, states that some of those on a Non-O multi entry may be required to leave Thailand once the visa amnesty ends.

Article 1. The departure from the Kingdom
    Aliens being permitted for a temporary stay in the Kingdom under tourist vis, transit-visa, visa on arrival and aliens permitted to stay under an exemption of visa of all types must leave the Kingdom within 26 September 2020,
    Unless there is a reasonable necessity or obstacle of the departures, in such case, the aliens may submit an application to extend their temporary stay in the Kingdom under Article 2(1).

(2) Aliens other than prescribed in Clause 1, who wish to file an application to extend their
    temporary stay in the Kingdom must provide a proper reason, case by case pursuant to the
    order of the Royal Thai Police no. 327/2557 subject: the criteria and conditions of application
    to extend the temporary stay in the Kingdom dated 30 June 2014;

In the event the foreigner has already used the initial 60 day extension to visit their wife and cannot qualify for the one year extension, immigration may allow special dispensation to give more than one extension per entry.

5. In the case where an alien applicant does not meet the full qualifications stipulated by the criteria herein or in other cases not specified in this Order but a competent officer equivalent to or higher than inspector is of the opinion that the alien has legitimate reason for staying in the Kingdom of Thailand, the application shall be forwarded to the Commander of the Royal Thai Police or an authorized competent officer for further consideration of the alien's application.

For those on a Non-O multi entry married to a Thai or who are a parent to a Thai child who already have 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account they can simply switch over to an extension of stay at their local immigration office.

But for those that don’t qualify for the one year extension, their future beyond 26 September is far from certain.

If travel restrictions remain in place, they may not be able to return to Savankhet, for example, and apply for a new Non O Multi Entry.

Even if they could, if Thailand’s borders remain closed, they wouldn’t be able to return to the country anyway.

If Thailand’s borders are opened by 26 September (which looks unlikely at this moment in time), there could be quarantine requirements for anyone entering, which currently, requires foreigners to quarantine for 14 days, at their own expense and with valid insurance.

If so, it would be expected that Non-O Multi holders would also be subject to those quarantine rules, meaning additional costs and insurance requirements for that individual, further adding to the certainty.

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-08-16

It is not just as simple as toddmeister says but the basis is correct. There is plenty of documents to be done maps to be drawn visits from immigration, visits to immigration. But yes you do it all in Thailand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanto View Post
    My wife has been told that there’s a one year visa that can be done in London or Hull before departure. Is this right please?
    Before you come here you will need a formal visa such as a Non-O. To get this is very straight forward and needs to be done in the UK, that can be a 12 month visa. Once you have been here for three months you can convert this on the basis of Retirement or Marriage. Your funds must be kept in a Thai Bank account in your name for over two months. There was some talk about it having to remain in the your account for some time after, but I am not sure if anything was decided on that. If you do not convert the visa you will probably have to leave the country every 90 days on what we call a "visa run", (!!55) although once converted you just have to register with Immigration every 90 days, can even be done online.

It terms of supporting paperwork here to do the conversion you can get a list, but this has only the basic documents. What is really required is down to the local Immigration Office, and down to the officer that deals with the case. It changes all the time so be prepared for several visits to your immigration office. As a word of warning try to avoid using an agent/lawyer. They will charge you around 20, 000 Baht and you may find it difficult to apply for your extensions in future without using an agent. There is an obvious reason for this that I won't go into. The actual cost for an annual extension on the basis of marriage is 1900 Baht, not sure about retirement but it's probably similar.

The visa process here can be frustrating. I advise you to let your wife do all the talking unless you are asked a question, and just smile ! The IOs here have a lot of power and you will no doubt be dealing with the same people for years.

Thank you. Appreciate it.
    Would still like to know which visa is best though please if anyone has experience?
    For financial reasons (800K vs 400K) marriage, but it's down to the IO if they will accept that since you are of retirement age and may not plan to work. Tell them you plan to set up a company and work here and thus cannot apply for a retirement extension as this would prohibit working. On a marriage extension you are entitled to apply for a Work Permit with preferential requirements compared to a normal application.

Only a Thai entity (Thai citizen or company) can own land here. If the company does not have an operational purpose (ie it must trade) and land is purchased in this company name then the ownership structure is illegal, and always has been. Many land departments are currently refusing to allow companies to buy land that have any foreign directors.

I could go on at length here but the best advise is not to use a company structure to control land here, unless it's a real company that does something,

There are a few legal methods, such as ;

1. Usufructs. Click here for an explanation. https://www.siam-legal.com/realestate/Usufructs.php
    Although I draw you attention to " Although the law does not prevent Foreigners from being able to apply to register a usufruct on a land, however, this is still subject to the discretion of the Land Officer." Many Land Departments will not allow Usufructs to be registered in foreign name. They do not need to explain their reasons to you, they may just refuse. This is the way things are here.

2. Many land departments will allow the land to be registered in your wife's name, and the house to be registered in your name. This is very clever as it has no time limit and neither party can sell without the other's consent.

3. You can register the land and house in your wife's name and then she can lease it back to you for a period of 30 years.

4. Buy a Foreign Freehold Condo which can be registered in your name.

5. Become a Thai citizen and buy in your name. I believe this can be applied for after ten years residency. You will have to speak, read and write Thai to a fluent level and will have to (I believe) renounce any other citizenships. You might also need to do national service.

These are really your only practical and legal options.

Hi James. Firstly apologies for the late response to your post. Hectic week. Secondly, many thanks for said post. Very informative indeed.
    I was thinking that when I convert the original visa, I will do it on the Marriage rather than Retirement if at all possible. Is this a good idea? Or is that more complicated than the Retirement option?

I was thinking that when I convert the original visa, I will do it on the Marriage rather than Retirement if at all possible. Is this a good idea? Or is that more complicated than the Retirement option?
    I haven't done it myself yet, but yes the marriage extension is a bit trickier I'm told - more documentation, photos of you both at the house, witnesses such as neighbours etc, and maybe a home visit. And the local immigration office has to send it to Bangkok for approval, whereas a retirement extensions is approved on the spot.

Despite that, I still intend to go the marriage extension route myself. I believe that immigration will always treat foreign spouses more favourably than retirees. And you only need 400,000 baht in the bank in your name not 800,000 and don't have to show that those funds came from abroad.

Hi Ray. Yes I was hoping the same re authorities treating the spouses of Thai citizens maybe as a priority. Providing the documentation and witnesses etc won’t be a problem as we’ve been married for 10 years already and Lampao has been here all that time. Plenty of evidence to prove the relationship. And getting more in Thailand won’t be an issue.

Yes, we've been married for 13 years now, and were married in Thailand, so at least the marriage certificate bit is easy enough.