Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Quote Originally Posted by MariaUA View Post
    Phuket will not open to foreign tourists in October as planned. Authorities postpone opening of borders due to first domestic coronavirus infection since late May
    No one knows, it keeps changing. Unsurprisingly the tourism lobby is putting massive pressure on the government to open the borders but the reality is most Thais want the country to stay shut for as long as possible. We see how many people in other countries won't even wear a mask and now that we've seen a few local cases. I doubt Thai borders will be opening any time soon.

I'm still hoping things ease up a bit so I can get there by end of the year. The timing isn't right at the moment which is fine as it seems incredibly difficult just now. I don't mind 14 day quarantine in Bangkok but I do mind the cost of it at over £1,000

Quote Originally Posted by James HKT View Post
    No one knows, it keeps changing. Unsurprisingly the tourism lobby is putting massive pressure on the government to open the borders but the reality is most Thais want the country to stay shut for as long as possible.
    And it isn't the only country, New Zealand's borders remain closed as well, and that is another country that is heavily dependent on tourism. So quite similar in a way.

New Zealand also has a 14-day quarantine for returning nationals and residents, free only if you don't leave again within 90 days, otherwise $3,000. So visiting my family there isn't practical. So that is family in two countries that I effectively can't visit except at great cost.

Quote Originally Posted by ray8472 View Post
    I'm still hoping things ease up a bit so I can get there by end of the year. The timing isn't right at the moment which is fine as it seems incredibly difficult just now. I don't mind 14 day quarantine in Bangkok but I do mind the cost of it at over £1,000
    Probably be more than that, some of the hotels they have chosen here are madly expensive. This is one of the approved hotels - https://trisara.com/

From Richard Barrow's blog today ;

" The Thai cabinet will be discussing tourism matters today including the proposal for a long stay 90-day visa that can be extended two times for a total of 270 days. However, it’s expected there will be restrictions such as a 14-day quarantine at the start of the holiday"
    Last edited by James HKT; 15th Sep 2020 at 07:58.

From what I read in the BKK post the Phuket idea was scrapped due to the 1 case in Bangkok (the DJ). General feeling is that rather than admit it was never going to work and loose face the 1 case provided a get out.
    Let's face it international tourism will not return with a 14 day quarantine imposed.
    The virus will not go away, a vaccine will not stop it so what can be done?
    If covid 19 mutates to a less deadly form, which may be happening but there seems to be less reporting on deaths attributed solely to the virus, as I guess Spanish (seems unfair to call it that and let Wuhan off) flu did then I shudder to think of the economic damage yet to come.
    I like many in travel/tourism have lost my job and will now have to diversify as its highly unlikely I will be able to find another in that industry @ 62 I'm having difficulty being positive about the situation.

I like the decision of the UAE government to come to their country. Everyone who comes to the UAE - residents, tourists and transit passengers - must have negative coronavirus tests and a health declaration. They will be checked at the airport.
    Tests must be done no later than 96 hours before arrival. They can be made at airports, but only for those who have symptoms of coronavirus, and those who fly from the Emirates to the UK or EU countries.
    And no problems and prohibitions

Quote Originally Posted by James HKT View Post
    No one knows, it keeps changing. Unsurprisingly the tourism lobby is putting massive pressure on the government to open the borders but the reality is most Thais want the country to stay shut for as long as possible. We see how many people in other countries won't even wear a mask and now that we've seen a few local cases. I doubt Thai borders will be opening any time soon.
    The resort province of Phuket, focused mainly on serving foreign tourists, cannot avoid an economic crisis amid a sharp decrease in the number of tourists due to the coronavirus pandemic.
    Before the outbreak of the pandemic in the province's tourism sector, 80 percent of the economy was driven by tourism. What to do now?

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

They are unlikely to survive if they remain a tourist based business

Another money making scheme and expense. I won't be dusting off the suitcase just yet.

https://www.ttrweekly.com/site/2020/...eed-insurance/

A consortium of 16 insurance companies in Thailand are now offering foreigners, who are eligible to travel to Thailand, the mandatory insurance cover valued at USD100,000.

Have to smile at the thinking behind the statement at the end.

“Development of an insurance policy that provides protection for foreigners entering Thailand supports government policy and will help restore the economy of the country,” said the OIC secretary-general.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Natty View Post
    ... Have to smile at the thinking behind the statement at the end.

“Development of an insurance policy that provides protection for foreigners entering Thailand supports government policy and will help restore the economy of the country,” said the OIC secretary-general.
    Surely you're not suggesting they are profiteering?

"... Insurance premium cover starts at THB1,600 and can be as high as THB14,400 for low-risk countries. Foreigners from countries with moderate risk are likely to pay an insurance premium of between THB2,560 to THB23,040. If the traveller is from a high-risk country, the insurance premium could be as high as THB43,200..."

Tobias - โทเบียส
    It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

So if you are from a high risk country and don't have the virus and have papers showing you don't have the virus and you go to Thailand and get tested on arrival and don't have the virus and Thailand has 1 person with the virus you pay more. LOl. You can see why they think Mr Bean is a reality show.

Just heard rumour that from next month LOS is open to tourists, with maximum of 90 day visa. Will look out for details and post when get confirmation.

It's just confirmation of the 270 day visa in 90 day chunks as already discussed. Need to wait to see what's in the details first.

In the Posts news it talks of visitors from China, but the Govt there are actively discouraging foreign travel. In an earlier plan, the Thai Govt. were talking of aussies and kiwis being a target audience until they were informed aussies aren't allowed to travel abroad until the end of the year at least and kiwis were being advised against all unnecessary travel.

There is mention in the report of medical tourists being a target, that will please a certain very large Bangkok hospital!

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...-tourist-visas

Not that I really trust the Post as a good source any more.
    'Tis me

Quote Originally Posted by jimmbo60 View Post
    So if you are from a high risk country and don't have the virus and have papers showing you don't have the virus and you go to Thailand and get tested on arrival and don't have the virus and Thailand has 1 person with the virus you pay more. LOl. You can see why they think Mr Bean is a reality show.
    One wonders why you would even need covid cover under that scenario as you won't be infected in Thailand...
    Don't suppose it covers any other insurable eventualities apart from death.
    I see Japan will let Thais and surrounding countries people to travel there with similar documentation/quarantine as Thailand requires.

Furniture เฟอร์นิเจอร์

That was my point

Quote Originally Posted by jimmbo60 View Post
    ������ ������ That was my point ������
    Ah I thought your point was you pay more rather than it was pointless...does one reply satisfy all those question marks?

Blog Entries

...does one reply satisfy all those question marks?
    I suspect those question marks were originally 3 emojis the forum software didn’t recognise.
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.

Quote Originally Posted by caller View Post
    It's just confirmation of the 270 day visa in 90 day chunks as already discussed. Need to wait to see what's in the details first.
    A video from The Thaiger suggest that you HAVE to stay 90 days, that would be impossible to enforce, they would not stop you leaving. What if you only want to stay 60 days ? This VISA is not for you ?

A video from Integrity Legal suggests there is an actual quota for these Visas, 1,200 per month. So that number is not just an estimate of what they expect ?

And which cities/countries will be on the permitted list ?

Still all up in the air, until it is gazetted (I think that is the expression / process) we won't know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ray8472 View Post
    A video from The Thaiger suggest that you HAVE to stay 90 days, that would be impossible to enforce, they would not stop you leaving. What if you only want to stay 60 days ? This VISA is not for you ?
    That's why we need to wait for the details. The price mooted for the visa is 2000 baht, according to reports.

I don't really think it matters how long you stay, as again, according to reports, you have to pay for accommodation up front. Hardly conducive to travelling freely around the Country.

And if there are only limited flights out, you might effectively be unable to leave at a time and to a destination of your choosing.

Fortress Thailand - lol!
    'Tis me

From what I read in the BKK post the Phuket idea was scrapped ......
    Not scrapped, but limited. Hopefully if it doesn't result in a mass of infections it will lead to an expansion of the criteria.

"The Cabinet has approved a proposal of issuing long-stay visas for foreigners visiting Thailand.

Deputy government spokesperson Traisuree Taisaranakul said on Tuesday (September 15) that the Cabinet has agreed to allow foreigners to live in Thailand for up to nine months per trip, provided they can prove they have spent 14 days in quarantine.

The first visit will allow 90 days of stay, which can then be extended twice totalling nine months.

This measure will start from next month, and up to 1,200 tourists per month will be granted this extended visa."

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30394581