Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RSS Feed Thailand protests: Risking it all to challenge the monarchy

In Thailand, criticising the royal family can mean secret trials and long prison sentences.

A growing movement among students has been calling for political reform in Thailand. In recent days, the protests have taken a surprising turn, writes an analyst in London for the BBC.

On a stage at an out-of-town campus of one of Thailand's top universities, a young woman with wavy long hair and owlish spectacles steps forward, through a dramatic cloud of dry-ice, and reads out a 10-point manifesto to a crowd of cheering students.

Her demands, for a monarchy that is accountable to the country's elected institutions, that moderates its use of public funds, stays out of politics and does not exercise control over important army units, would be unremarkable in most countries.

In Thailand, they are nothing short of revolutionary.

Thais are taught from birth that the monarchy is the keystone that holds the country together, the institution that embodies the national character.

Read full article ...

(This post was generated automatically by Thailand-UK.com from the BBC News Asia RSS Feed)

The problem is that most Thai's aren't really aware of how the King has become directly involved in politics and the management of Royal property.

On a personal level, I would be surprised if I was the only one living here who has noticed a change in Thai attitudes. A couple of years back, apart from a few people I knew well, most Thai's wouldn't talk about the junta or Royalty. Tongues seem much looser and open. Prayet and his cohorts seem universally despised. The other doesn't fare much better. I think Thailand is entering a bit of a perfect storm. People are sick of corruption at the top tables. The red bull case, T21 Korat (army enquiry where?), gambling dens, deaths and police lies. The control orders, the stagnent economy which was already panning pre-covid but which is now affecting the middle classes. Its just a daily diet of gloom and doom with a Govt. That clearly has no idea what to do and most Thai economists pretty much think the same. Even they call for Prayet to let experts deal with it. But that's not how junta's remain in power. I don't know how it will end.

On saying that, I think the students should have left the monarchy out of it for now.

Don't want to provide a link, but search new mandala for Thailands King turning back time, for an interesting article. The comments are interesting as well.
    'Tis me

RSS Feed Thai protests: Student leader Parit Chiwarak arrested on sedition charges

Parit Chiwarak, 22, is arrested for taking part in the first of a series of protests urging reforms.

Read full article ...

(This post was generated automatically by Thailand-UK.com from the BBC News Asia RSS Feed)

RSS Feed Thai protests: Thousands gather in Bangkok to demand reforms

Thousands of protesters staged another anti-government rally in the Thai capital, Bangkok, on Sunday to demand political reforms.

Demonstrators want a revised constitution and are also calling for reform of the monarchy - a sensitive subject in Thailand.

Under Thai law, anyone criticising the royal family faces long prison sentences.

There have been almost daily student-led demonstrations in recent weeks.

Several protest leaders have been arrested.

But organisers said they hoped Sunday's rally would show broader support for change beyond the student groups. Bangkok police said on Sunday evening that about 10,000 attended the protest.

"We want a new election and a new parliament from the people," 24-year-old student activist Patsalawalee Tanakitwiboonpon told the cheering crowd.

"Lastly, our dream is to have a monarchy which is truly under the constitution."

Read full article ...

Last edited by Tobias; 16th Aug 2020 at 13:49.

RSS Feed Thai protests: Thousands join rally in Bangkok

The anti-government rally in Bangkok is thought to be the biggest in the country for six years.

Read full article ...

Old Hand มือเก่า
    ต้องการนักแปล

Not against the king its happening all over the world .............................
    no jobs no money .

Quote Originally Posted by Samsung View Post
    Not against the king its happening all over the world .............................
    no jobs no money .
    Not unless you don't count the demands for a reform of the monarchy's powers. That wouldn't have happened while the last King was alive.
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

RSS Feed Anon Nampa: Thai lawyer arrested over monarchy protest

Thai lawyer and activist Anon Nampa has been arrested over a protest where he called for reform of the powerful monarchy. Thailand's monarchy has long been shielded from criticism under strict lese-majeste and other laws. But in recent weeks anti-government rallies have started calling for change to an institution Thais are taught to revere from a young age.

Mr Anon, 36, was the first to openly break the taboo earlier this month. Four other Thai activists have also been arrested over a student-led protest in July that sparked this latest wave of demonstrations.

Protesters are demanding dissolution of the government headed by Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha, the former army chief who seized power in a 2014 military coup and returned as the country's civilian premier after a controversial election last year.

Read full article ...

Last edited by Tobias; 20th Aug 2020 at 07:36.

Hope it is okay to put this here? From Al-jazeera news, It's a short filmed report from Thailand, followed by a group discussion with a Thai based journalist, academic and author.

Worth watching.

https://www.aljazeera.com/programmes...180649436.html
    'Tis me

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Quote Originally Posted by caller View Post
    Hope it is okay to put this here? From Al-jazeera news, It's a short filmed report from Thailand, followed by a group discussion with a Thai based journalist, academic and author.

Worth watching.

https://www.aljazeera.com/programmes...180649436.html
    Yes worth watching. But I find the young thing everything is all about them. Sure they are the future of the country with the longest lifespans, but again I tend to find it a selfish attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by ray8472 View Post
    Yes worth watching. But I find the young thing everything is all about them. Sure they are the future of the country with the longest lifespans, but again I tend to find it a selfish attitude.
    That's an interesting response. I think seeking to change the charter, to take it away from the in-built advantage this gives to the junta, with the paid hand selected senate, including the brothers of Prayet and Prawit, would be welcomed by everyone, judging by how Prayet and his cronies are pretty universally hated. A fairer constitution would benefit everyone, not just the few and it just might well be that the next generation of generals understand and respect that as well.
    'Tis me

I did watch the end of this program live a few days ago, so thanks for the link. I often channel hop the news stations in the morning trying to find some real news. The early morning BBC news is sadly like a coffee morning chat show, of no consequence any more.

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ray8472 View Post
    Sure they are the future of the country with the longest lifespans, but again I tend to find it a selfish attitude.
    Take a look at this :-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thamma...rsity_massacre
    aka Spud / aka MF

RSS Feed Thai protests: Lawyer Anon Nampa to be jailed over bail breach

Anon Nampa and another activist were among nine held over anti-government protests last month.

On Thursday a court in Bangkok ruled that Mr Anon, 36, and Mr Panupong, 24, had breached their bail conditions by taking part in protests.

The pair were sent to pre-trial detention because they declined to post bail again, arguing they had stuck to their bail conditions, Mr Anon's lawyer Weeranan Huadsri told Reuters news agency. They can be held for up to 48 days, Mr Huadsri said.

Mr Anon, a human rights lawyer, said his renewed detention amounted to harassment.
    "My duty outside of prison has ended, and I wanted to gamble everything for change," Mr Anon wrote in a Facebook post before the court hearing.

He urged people to join another anti-government rally planned for later this month.

Read full article ...

Last edited by Tobias; 4th Sep 2020 at 07:57.

RSS Feed The student daring to challenge Thailand’s monarchy

Panusaya Sithijirawattanakul read out a 10-point manifesto calling for reform of the monarchy.

Read full article ...

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Lonerider's Avatar
    Yorkshireman divided between Chum Phae & Iraq

I hope she does not end up doing a disappearing act like some of the others! Good for her for voicing the opinion of a lot of people but alas she will need to be careful

Quote Originally Posted by T-UK View Post
    Panusaya Sithijirawattanakul read out a 10-point manifesto calling for reform of the monarchy.
    I don't know whether they are still referred to as Yellow Shirts, but whatever their colour nowadays, I would imagine they've lost a lot of their support since the new bloke came on the scene, so those of like persuasion are going to be ultra-fanatical and do anything in their power, along with their allies, to scupper any prospect of reform.

RSS Feed Thailand protests: Thousands gather for mass anti-government rally

Demonstrators are calling for the prime minister's resignation and reform of the monarchy.

Read full article ...

RSS Feed Thailand protests: Activists challenge monarchy by laying 'People's Plaque'

Protesters cement a "People's Plaque" in a park and march in Bangkok calling for political reforms.

Read full article ...

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

My wife still talks about the red and yellow shirts, still fresh in her mind and still knows the colour of her shirt which will remain a secret here today ! :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fruit Machine View Post
    I don't know whether they are still referred to as Yellow Shirts, but whatever their colour nowadays, I would imagine they've lost a lot of their support since the new bloke came on the scene, so those of like persuasion are going to be ultra-fanatical and do anything in their power, along with their allies, to scupper any prospect of reform.

Interesting nick, my wife has completely banned me from talking about any kind of Thai politics with other Thais. This ban is especially important when keeping quiet about her own opinions. Surely if discussion was more open each side might understand each other better?!