Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Re - British Passport: Translation Services in Bangkok: Thai to English.

Mrs has an appointment to re-new a UK passport in BKK.
    She needs to show Name and Address in BKK with Docs less than 12 months old, by:
    Visa or Residence Permit (Does nt have or need one)
    Educational record eg School report (Lol)
    Tax record (N/A in BKK)
    Letter from Employer (Self employed)
    Medical / Health card (Issued in 2015)
    Immigration Documents (N/A)
    Letter from local, regional or national government Dept.
    These are from Table A (Group 2) she has all the Docs for Photographic evidence.
    Due to limited activities due to COVID-19, we did find a letter and monthly bills for the MEA (electricity) which is part of the Ministry of Interior and a Police report.
    She has been sending messages to HMPO passport enquiries, after receiving an Email from VFS Global (Trendy Building BKK) they cannot answer any questions, only book an appointment, HMPO will accept letter or bill / invoice from MEA (classed as a utility bill).
    I had an afterthought, these will need translated from Thai to English, so off went another Email and sure enough need translated, cannot be by family or friends but by ''recognized professional translator'', first thing I asked was dont do them yourself, but alas shes done a ''draft copy'' of each to which she has Emailed them to me
    She has found a company in BKK, the idea being she will send Thai copies (and drafts) via LINE, then when ready I will go and pick them up, but she thinks the cost is high @ 200 thb, not sure if per page or per document. I think the cost is reasonable.
    My question is any recommendations ? I know some of you have had documents translated, they need to be stamped / certified.
    PS the HMPO / VFS Global in BKK is only open: Mon - Wed - Fri for UK passports, but I dont know if this is normal or due to COVID-19.
    Need to book an appointment by email (HMPO BKK) and give three different dates and times.They then send a confirmation email.
    Need to take all original documents and copies (will be handed back) Mrs is dual national so needs photocopy (colour) of every page (including blanks) of current UK and Thai passports, once an application is submitted, cannot use the passport for travel, but can use it for ID purposes.
    An email from HMPO referred to British Embassy Bangkok for a list of recognized translators, but I could only find a list of Lawyers.
    bangkok mags

Good Luck with that Sisaket, sounds an absolute nightmare. And although this wont help, I'm hoping this will make you chuckle as this is what I thought about after reading your post....

Note before. some words have been edited i.e. Ducking, Duckin, Duck, Ducked. You get the picture.

This is an actual passport letter received by the Irish Passport Office...….Hilarious!!

Dear Sirs,

I'm in the process of renewing my passport, and I am losing the will to live. How is it that Sky television has my address and telephone number and knows that I bought a ducking satellite dish from them back in 1995, and yet, the Government is still asking me where I was ducking born and on what date.

For duck sake, do you guys do this by hand? My birth date you have on my pension book, and it is on all the income tax forms I've filled for the past 30 years. It is on my PPS card, my driving license, my car insurance, on the last eight ducking passports I've had, before being allowed off the plane over the last 50 years, and all those insufferable census forms.

Would somebody please take note, once and for all, that my mothers name is Mary Anne, my fathers name is Robert and I'd be absolutely ducking astounded if that ever changed between now and when I die!!!!!!

I apologise, because I'm really hissed off this morning. Between you and me, I've had enough of this sh*t! You send back the application form to my house, then you ask me for my ducking address!!!!

What the duck is going on? Do you have a bunch of neanderthal mor**ns working there? Look at my ducking picture. Do I look like Bin Laden? I just want to go and park my arse on some nice sandy beach somewhere and would someone please tell me, why would you give a sh*t whether I plan on visiting a farm in the next 15 days?

Well, I have to sign off now, because I have to go to the other end of the ducking country to get another ducking copy of my birth certificate, to the tune of 30 euros. Would it be so complicated to have all the services in the same spot to assist in the issuance of a new passport the same day? Noooooo, that'd be too ducking easy and maybe make sense. You'd rather have us running all over the duckin' place like chickens with our heads cut off, then have to find some ar**hole to confirm that it's really me on the damn picture - you know, the one where we're not allowed to smile?! (bureaucratic duckin' morons) Hey, do you know why? We couldn't smile if we wanted to, because we're totally hacked off!!

Signed

An irate Citizen.

P.S. Remember what I said above about the picture and getting someone to confirm that it's me? Well, my family has been in this country since 1776...…….I have served in the military for something over 30 years and had full security clearances over 25 of those years enabling me to undertake highly secretive work all over the world, and here in Ireland...….However I have to get someone 'important' to verify who I am - you know , someone like my doctor - WHO WAS BORN AND RAISED IN DUCKING PAKISTAN!! Gobsh*tes!!

Sorry Tobias, you're probably cursing me. I've proof read it. It's safe for general release

...and it's fake containing untruths and with an underlying anti-Irish innuendo.

Where do I start? Well, the cost of obtaining a copy of an Irish birth certificate from the HSE is actually 20 Euros, not 30 Euros. You can also get a copy at any Civil Registration Office - there's one in every county in the State, so no need to have to go to the " ...other end of the...country". Incidentally that birth certificate is only required for a first passport application, not a renewal - the author of this fiction claims to have had 8 previous passports.

Irish passports are generally renewed online - Ireland was doing online renewals well before the UK. You can provide your own digital photo (selfie) which the technology compares with the current passport photo on record and it is accepted unless your facial features have undergone significant change.

Photos only have to be signed/witnessed for your first Irish passport as an adult or if you're a child for the purpose of verifying that you are the person in that photo. You can simply visit your local Garda (police) station if you're in Ireland and a Garda officer will do the honours for you on the spot - much easier than in the UK where the witness has to have known you for at least 2 years, eh?

My own experiences of dealing with the Irish Passport Office have been very straightforward. They are very efficient and very speedy when renewing passports (I've had 4 renewals over the years). Indeed, when I was applying for my son's first Irish passport (he was born in London), the delightful young lady who 'phoned from the Dublin passport office couldn't have been more charming - she was just verifying the witness who had signed his passport photos. She also apologised for the delay in dealing with his application as they were (and still are) inundated with applications from many thousands of Britons applying for their first Irish passports because of Brexit.

Update:
    Mrs will now get the translations done in Surin, Shes also been on the Department of Consular Affairs website and found a template that can be used when translating a Thai ID card, I had forgotten she had a new one issued earlier this year, this can be certified by DCA / MFA if needed.
    bangkok mags

Old Hand มือเก่า
    ต้องการนักแปล

200 baht is a bargain in the UK around £100 for your marriage certificate .

Quote Originally Posted by Samsung View Post
    200 baht is a bargain in the UK around £100 for your marriage certificate .
    £100 is the stuff of heart failure , she had three items translated for 600 thb, they sent them by EMS the next day, just hope she remembers to bring them to BKK.
    bangkok mags

Old Hand มือเก่า
    ต้องการนักแปล

Quote Originally Posted by sisaket View Post
    £100 is the stuff of heart failure , she had three items translated for 600 thb, they sent them by EMS the next day, just hope she remembers to bring them to BKK.
    This is what i paid because my original ones went missing from entry clearance till FLR was submitted dont worry i now have lots of copies

Update:
    Mrs went to her old working environment today (Trendy Building) to submit her application for a new British passport, the application centre has temporary moved back to the 28th floor from the 8th.
    Went in on-time and it took around 30 minutes, would not sent original translations of Thai documents, so needed colour copies (at 30 thb each) and were originals returned . Needed her Thai and British passports (returned) and colour copies of every page of both including blanks, two new passport size photos, form filled out and checked by VFS and their main document, the payment form paid by debit or credit card, she used her Barclaycard, they did ask if she wanted extra pages (costs more) she indicated just the normal 32 pages at cost of £118.51 (eye watering) including the courier fee, all original documents returned and will take 4 / 6 week for the new passport to arrive, to which they will send her an email, need the document (from VFS) receipt and current UK passport to collect the new one, but if I go will need these plus an authorization letter from her giving me permission to collect for her.
    She needed her temperature taken and use hand sanitizer before she could enter VFS.
    bangkok mags

In conclusion:
    IMG_0316.jpg
    Timeline:
    31 AUG application submitted.
    02 SEPT email: documents sent to UK.
    03 SEPT monies taken in UK for passport.
    10 SEPT email: GOV-UK if no other documents required will receive within eight weeks.
    16 SEPT email: HMPO (Bangkok) passport in Trendy Building awaiting collection.
    17 SEPT email: Mrs emailed HMPO (Bangkok) supplying my full name as required as the collector.
    18 SEPT email: HMPO (Bangkok) confirmation 08:30am can collect from 13:00pm - 18th onwards.
    18 SEPT went to Trendy Building to check passport details and collect.
    bangkok mags

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

My (Thai) wife renewed her UK passport at Trendy a few years ago. She was in and out in 30 minutes and the passport arrived about a week later. Not sure how covid will impact that but is was painless. Also renewed mine and my sons (13) last year and it was just as easy.