Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: tom yam recipe?

Default tom yam recipe?

Hello everyone, I'm from Ukraine. I heard that the most popular soup in Thailand is tom yam. Could you please suggest the recipe for this soup without exotic ingredients (for Europe) or with a minimum. In return, I will gladly share a recipe for a real national Ukrainian dish - red borscht.

Tom yum. You really need to get the "exotic" ingredients or it won't taste anything like the real Tom Yum.

My wife is a Thai chef and she uses tom yum paste, mushrooms, onions, Thai herbs, tomatoes, carnation or ordinary milk, coriander, ghalangal & spring onions. Add prawns, chicken or any other meat or fish.

Of course it can be mild, medium or spicy.

Thanks for the great recipe. You are lucky, your wife is a chef. I will need to use all my skills to make this soup. I really hope that everything will work out for me
    Last edited by MariaUA; 11th Sep 2020 at 05:55.

If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ N Barton's Avatar

Prefer Tom Kha myself, give this on a go also
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/tomkhasoup_93592
    We'll never win the Premier League,
    We'll never win a Cup,
    We'll still follow UNITED !!

Quote Originally Posted by N Barton View Post
    All the way with you on this. Piles of Jasmine rice added to it to make it fuller, but wow, what a taste!!

I think the UK needs Tom Kha and Panang curry, similar to the Indian Korma, Passanda & Masala boom decades ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Baz M View Post
    All the way with you on this. Piles of Jasmine rice added to it to make it fuller, but wow, what a taste!!
    Yeah, I tend to eat it as a "curry" rather than a soup, absolutely delicious

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

I think the UK needs Tom Kha and Panang curry, similar to the Indian Korma, Passanda & Masala boom decades ago.
    The missus has done Thai Nights at quite a few local pubs and started a low key take away service. By far the most popular dishes were Pad Grapow Moo Sap (Pork Mince) and Panang
    We'll never win a Cup,

The missus has done Thai Nights at quite a few local pubs and started a low key take away service. By far the most popular dishes were Pad Grapow Moo Sap (Pork Mince) and Panang
    Good luck with that. I'm sure word will spread quickly and the Panang's will fly off the shelves. The Great British public are all about 'safe', so the 'safe' tastes of Panang Nua (beef)and Tom Kha will go down a treat with them.

Panang Nua (beef)
    I am afraid its Moo or Gai only, the missus won't cook beef, never has never will. She is the same with lamb, the smell of it literally makes her vomit. The Pla Ra (rotten fish) she puts in her Som Tam doesn't smell at all, apparently !!
    We'll never win a Cup,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/tomkhasoup_93592
    Oh, this is really a fire soup I cooked everything according to this recipe, but added a little more hot pepper. I felt like a dragon, not only by the sign of the zodiac thanks

The only difference between Tom yum and Tom kha is coconut milk, I am reliably informed.

We started a low key Thai food delivery service one week before lockdown started and within a fortnight it was no longer low key. We joined Jut Eat about a month ago and it's gone bonkers. Pad Thai is our biggest seller by a mile along with green and red curries along with Pad Kaprow and Pad Cha. We also have a very loyal following for Som Tam and mango and sticky rice when we can get the stock. During lockdown itself we have problems getting holy basil, galanghal etc so we started growing it. Surprising how quickly it grows with lots of rain and a good summer. Quite a few crops of the basils and tons of Morning glory, courgettes etc etc.

During the quarantine period, many people discovered hidden talents and hobbies. For example, I also began to grow green onions, parsley and radishes on my balcony) the feeling when you eat what you yourself grew is simply beyond words. I ask everyone, even in the most difficult times, to find positive)

This year we have grown loads of stuff.

Usual fare like Tomatoes, courgettes and squash. Plus Thai Holy & sweet basil, morning glory, bitter melon, 7 kinds of chilli's and loads of Thai herbs.
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

Mrs grows mushrooms in Surin using rice straw, grows veg and herbs, but they do not go to waste when she's not there, as next door will cut and take (with permission).
    bangkok mags

I can't be stopped, now I want to grow everything myself) I need the profession of an agronomist, but I'm only an amateur)