Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  24
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

I think he was saying if he wasn't married and was single, he would not buy a Condo but rent instead. I think I'd do the same in that situation.

I am married though and same as DAS, we built a house in my wife's name so there is permanent accommodation for us both, and for her after I'm gone.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ prikphet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by James HKT View Post
    An interesting view point.

I know renting is relatively cheap here but the rent is dead money. If you had bought a condo in your name this could willed to your wife and daughter to be sold or kept as they please after your hopefully distant demise. Hoping that property values increase again after covid the condo could be worth a lot more than you paid for it.
    Alternatively, if you get Divorced she gets the lot, or if you're really unlucky you get a whole lot of hassle

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by prikphet View Post
    Alternatively, if you get Divorced she gets the lot, or if you're really unlucky you get a whole lot of hassle
    Yes, a very valid point of law!

I remember our little departed friend's often used comments: 'when buying a house in Thailand only spend what you are prepared to lose'.
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    It’s better to be 6 feet apart than to be 6 feet under.

Makes sense Tobias
    Cant leave my wife everything, she would only spend it on the thai lottery ha ha

I've never been a fan of condo's really. If you are worried about noise the houses being close together in the video condo's are closer. They also have that holiday feel to them, good in some ways but not if your neighbours are night owls and noisy. Horses for courses as they say. This house has a fair amount of land a communal pool and gym about 50 metres away. Think the wife likes it here in Bang Saray pretty sure she wouldn't go back to the village. Condo's are notoriously difficult to sell but foreign people who want to have something permanent in their name have little choice if not married, or even if they are married.

Just read the divorced bit, known the wife 16 years now been married 13 (unlucky for some) not too worried, think she would have booted me out by now if she was going to. I could walk away financially and move on still have a house and savings in UK.
    Last edited by DAS; 18th Sep 2020 at 07:10.

Yes Condos are a risk - with flat and apartment living you are more at risk of bad and/or noisy neighbours with shared walls. Which is also why renting them makes sense, if you find yourself in that situation you just move. Fairly easy. Condos appeal to me as there is no external maintenance to worry about. But anyway, my wife hates them so we have a house with land and all that work :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ray8472 View Post
    Yes Condos are a risk - with flat and apartment living you are more at risk of bad and/or noisy neighbours with shared walls. Which is also why renting them makes sense, if you find yourself in that situation you just move. Fairly easy. Condos appeal to me as there is no external maintenance to worry about. But anyway, my wife hates them so we have a house with land and all that work :-)
    Im afraid there are communal external maintenance costs, we are having the buildings re-painted and have been paying an amount to cover the costs, all democratic, had various meetings about the colour scheme, my idea was white with black trimmings, which was fine until I asked Mrs to mention a nice mural of Alan Shearer or the NUFC club crest on one of the building sides, oh well thats not happening apparently.
    On the noisy neighbors etc, depends on the management, happily our are very strict and security is taken very seriously, need your keycard to get in /out of the complex and for doors to lift area (which must remain closed) only three registered and machine activated keycards per condo, no short term renting, need bluetooth device to bring car on or a guest needs a voucher given by a renter / owner, needs to be displayed at all times or risk being clamped, all residents need authorized badge displayed in vehicles, there is CCTV everywhere. We use an App MyMooBan (my village) the management / office / residents, any mail or parcels to collect will be displayed in the App, as are maintenance updates, dates of residence meetings etc.
    Downside the gyms are still closed but the pools are open.
    Any noise issues are sent by MyMooBan to the office, during office hours this is via live chat.
    The only real noise issue I have had is when Liverpool won their last European Cup at an un-godly hour from another Condo, which woke me up, but figured LFC must have won and that was the final whistle from the loud cheers, I just laughed my head off and went back to the land of nod.
    The building painting project is due to start in Nov.
    bangkok mags

My nephew had a house in Chonburi at first it was quiet then someone opened a bar about 200 metres away and suddenly the noise was unbearable They eventually had to sell up and move.
    Human beings are seventy percent water, and with some the rest is collagen

Quote Originally Posted by sisaket View Post
    Im afraid there are communal external maintenance costs, we are having the buildings re-painted and have been paying an amount to cover the costs, .
    Yes, money but no personal effort.

Sounds like you have a very well managed and strict Condo - if they were all like that it would be fine.

then someone opened a bar about 200 metres away and suddenly the noise was unbearable They eventually had to sell up and move.
    Can empathise with that, the house we bought was the troublemakers house at the time, which we didn't realise, but local residents were then pleased to see that it was "normal" people that had bought it. Then at the end of last year, beginning of this year, there were a few local houses that were rented out to troublemakers and the situation is getting quite crazy, even though there are known drug dealers and ASBO idiots that should not be given the light of day, their rights seem to account for more than the communities and that's here in the UK :-(

Old Hand มือเก่า

Quote Originally Posted by James HKT View Post
    Rental in Thailand is simple, usually we (agents) don't take any references all we need is your ID. But...anyone falling behind doesn't have the same, or any, protection as in the UK.

I have a property company here and we handle rentals. DM me if you have any specific questions or concerns.
    What part of Thailand is your rental company?
    Phuket? Koh Samui?

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by te2008 View Post
    What part of Thailand is your rental company?
    Phuket? Koh Samui?

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk
    Phuket