Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

When is your wife's Uk passport up for renewal Ray ?
    Its a different ball game(ache) now as all dual nationals have to send in both passports to the HM passport office and they will only renew if both bear exactly the same name.

Member สมาชิก

Quote Originally Posted by galahad View Post
    When is your wife's Uk passport up for renewal Ray ?
    Its a different ball game(ache) now as all dual nationals have to send in both passports to the HM passport office and they will only renew if both bear exactly the same name.
    I have not heard of that before. Seems totally unreasonable. Next renewal will be from Bangkok in 2024. They saw the marriage certificate when they first issued the passport in the married name, so that makes no sense at all.
    Last edited by ray8472; 9th Jun 2019 at 22:13.

Member สมาชิก

Just checked this - yes they did change the law ! It is a ballache. So is an option then to ask them to issue the renewed British passport in the maiden name instead of getting the Thai one changed to the married name ? Or else - if the Thai passport has been lost, report it as lost, it would then be cancelled and you no longer have to provide anything as you no longer have an un-cancelled foreign passport. After the British passport has been renewed, then re-apply for a new Thai one.

When she first got the British passport I told her to use the maiden name as it seemed odd to me you would have different names in the two. We filled in all of the forms, and then one of her Thai friends told her the married name was better so we had to fill them all in again. If only she had taken my advice instead of that of her friend...

Be easier to change her thai passport Ray....and importantly she has 5 years to do it..unlike some
    Thankfully all sorted now at this end but what a total chew on!
    I suggest on your next trip to Thailand your wife does it all then..be a lot less complicated.

Member สมาชิก

We will be retired in Thailand well before that. I doubt she will want to change everything in Thailand. I presume it is not just the passport - would also be Thai ID card, house card etc etc.

She was naturalised under her maiden name, surely on request the UK passport office would issue a replacement in that name ? But maybe she won't even bother to renew at all. We probably won't ever come back to the UK. But having citizenship of course the option is always there.

Member สมาชิก

I got curious so spoke to the UK passport office. They can renew it in her maiden name instead, but they say it needs a change of name deed or a statutory declaration, along with the marriage certificate and a document with her maiden name on it to prove she has "switched back", e.g. council tax bill. That would be no issue if we were still in the UK at the time, she has always continued to use the maiden name on everything. Just the passport has the married name. That is perhaps the annoying bit. So unnecessary.

But it will be more complex renewing in Thailand. If she ever does renew it.
    Last edited by ray8472; 10th Jun 2019 at 10:32.

Can,t see how it would be more complex to do whilst in Thailand Ray.
    My Mrs managed to get everything done in the Uk but it was very time consuming...and expensive.2 visits to the Thai Embassy in London and a roadshow in Edinburgh..POA to a relative in Thailand allowing name change for House registration /ID card and various other things such as legalised and notorised documents.
    Much easier(and cheaper) to do in Thailand IMHO.
    Seems a shame to lose the option of returning to the UK (after all the twists and turns in gaining citizenship) but if she has no intention of returning then "ler de koon "

Member สมาชิก

She will never lose the opportunity to return to the UK. She will still have her citizenship. Just a matter of getting the UK passport renewed.

I'm pretty sure she will never change her Thai identity and I wouldn't either if it was me. So what is slightly more difficult from Thailand will be the name change for the UK passport so that her UK passport can be re-issued in her maiden name to match the Thai one. Changing by deedpoll can be done online. So in Bangkok she will have to present the deedpoll documents, the marriage certificate and somehow prove that she has switched permanently to using the "new" name and the evidence for that is official documents such as council tax etc of which she will have none of. We will come up with something.

It is all very stupid, a wife should be able to go back to her maiden name - birth name - without any of this nonsense.

She is in Thailand at the moment. I think what we will do before we move over permanently is get the new passport with the name change early. Change by deedpoll etc while in the UK, and while we have UK "evidence" in the maiden name. Then at least it will be 10 years before she needs to do it again from Bangkok, and there will be no complications.

Member สมาชิก

I maybe be wrong.. however my wife followed the same procedure but l now believe both passports, Thai and British should be shown and scanned when departing the UK. I always found it strange that when leaving Thailand they always requested both passports even when the ticket was booked under my wife's married name, it was only recently explained, if your wife leaves the UK under her married name and passes through passport control under her maiden name then she is "lost within the system" in otherwards they have a record of her leaving the UK under her married name but not arriving in Thailand because she has used her maiden name. Over the years I have travelled to Thailand using different airports and airlines without a problem, it was only recently, this was pointed out to me.

Member สมาชิก

Quote Originally Posted by Nealy View Post
    I always found it strange that when leaving Thailand they always requested both passports even when the ticket was booked under my wife's married name,
    I don't recall my wife ever being asked for both passports on departure from Thailand.

Member สมาชิก

Hi ray8472 and thanks for the reply..

In my wife case both British and Thai passports have always been requested when checking in at BKK. The reason both passports are scanned was only explained to me last time she flew from Glasgow..

Regards

Member สมาชิก

It may depend on the airline perhaps then.