Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Yes liverpoollad, she can keep her maiden name if that's what she chooses to do - there is no obligation for her to take your name.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Member สมาชิก

Thanks Tobias.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Tobias,

I am hoping you can help, just need some clarification, I have read your earlier posts and they are very helpful on this subject, we have recently married in the UK (wife was here as a student and then we got flr as my umarried partner in april this year) we then married in August.

So from your earlier post I understand that she doesnt need to change her name by deed in the UK and she can use my surname in the uk with our marriage certificate as proof etc. I take it if we wanted to change her biometric visa/id card to my surname we can just fill in teh relevant forms on from the web site for change of details etc I tihnk it costs £30.

So my question is that if the name changes on her visa id card but we havent changed the name in her thai passport, will that cause any problems with re entry etc? as the name on id card and name on passport will be different? or will we just have to carry our marriage certificate until we can change passport in thailand?

Blog Entries

The only evidence your wife needs of her change of name is the marriage certificate.

There should be no problems on re-entry with the marriage certificate as evidence of the change of name. Before booking your flight tickets, you should also check the airline's policy on this. Again in most cases the original marriage certificate should be sufficient - but certain airlines may insist on using the name in the passport ... especially so with the regulations relating to providing advance passenger information.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

ok thanks Tobias we will do that until we can change name in Thailand

Thanks

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ sumrit's Avatar

Hi Tobias,
    I hope it's OK to jump in on this thread with a question about a name change.

I've been living in Thailand with my wife and step daughter for the last few years but we've recently moved to the UK. My wife has used my surname since we got married but, while in Thailand, my step daughter continued to use her (Thai) fathers name as she didn't want to upset her grandparents. Now we're in the UK she wants to use my surname and have her surname as a middle name, so that's what we've done when registering her at a doctors, school, etc.

A girl that my older daughter fosters (long term and in the UK) chooses to use my daughters surname in the same way without any problems (and with social services blessing) or changes by deed poll so I know it's not a major problem. But I'd like to know what, if any, problems we might come across in the future?

We will look at changing her name legally in Thailand sometime when we go back for a holiday.

Thaks for your time.

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ Tony & Apple's Avatar

my wife kept her maiden name after she married me and we've never had any issues, it surprises me how many of our partners change their lovely Thai surnames to our more plan sounding ones.
    แอนโธนี่

Old Hand มือเก่า

The one thing I would urge is that whichever name the spouse chooses to keep, don't use his/her nickname for official purposes.

I've recently had experience of a Thai woman who registered with her employer and HMRC using her Thai nickname. When it came to her application for ILR, the employer checked with the UKBA that she could still work, only to be told there is no trace of such a person, simply because the employer/HMRC have her under the nickname, whilst the UKBA have her under her official name, as shown in the passport.

Rookie มือใหม่

Hello All,
    Is there anyway my Wife can change her surname in her Thai passport by sending it off? or is the only way this is possible is by travelling to Thailand?

Thanks,
    Lee

Quote Originally Posted by leeroy221 View Post
    Hello All,
    Is there anyway my Wife can change her surname in her Thai passport by sending it off?
    Possible for non-biometric passports only. New application needed for biometric E-Passport.
    We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.

Member สมาชิก

Quote Originally Posted by Scally View Post
    So my question is that if the name changes on her visa id card but we havent changed the name in her thai passport, will that cause any problems with re entry etc? as the name on id card and name on passport will be different?
    As far as I can see from the ICFN(RC) form, the same name requirements apply as for the FLR(M). In other words, I think you won't be able to get an ID card (ICFN) with a surname which is different to the passport. I have yet go through the process {FLR(M)} and so stand to be corrected. Maybe you have some new information now as your query was in October(?).

On both the ICFN(RC) v.10/2009 and FLR(M) v.10/2009 there are 3 data entry fields to enter the applicants name.
    1.4 Your full name as in your passport or travel document.
    1.5 Surname or family name.
    1.6 Any other name(s) by which you are or have been known.

I have assumed (maybe I read it somewhere) that the surname printed on the ICFN will be the same as the surname on the passport in both cases.

ICFN= ID Card for Foreign Nationals

Here is a link to a related thread where I ask a question about name changing after marriage.
    http://www.thailand-uk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7012

Blog Entries

With the ever changing security situation, more and more airlines are changing the way they deal with passenger identification and the names on flight tickets and travel documents. Here is the most recent advice from British Airways regarding passports and travel documents being in the same name - even after marriage:

"If you have recently changed your name or plan to in the very near future it will be necessary to have your passport amended if you plan to travel abroad.

When you get married there are so many things to organise that changing your name on your passport may get overlooked.

However due to the recent increases in security measures, you may no longer travel in your maiden name and have your passport in your married name, or travel in your married name and have your passport in your maiden name.

It is not sufficient to take your marriage certificate as a form of identification when you check-in.

We at British Airways need you to have your booking, ticket and your passport, all in the same name."
    Tobias - โทเบียส

I booked my wife online via Expedia with Eva a couple of months ago. I made a right blunder and booked her online in her married name i.e. my name, forgetting that she has not changed her name in her passport. On spotting the blunder I phoned Expedia who referred me to Eva. Eva said no problem as long as we bring our marriage certificate along at check in. They have made a note on the booking system....hopefully all will be OK next week.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
    I booked my wife online via Expedia with Eva a couple of months ago. I made a right blunder and booked her online in her married name i.e. my name, forgetting that she has not changed her name in her passport....
    Did exactly the same thing, but when I phoned Netflights.com to enquire what to do was told would need to buy a new ticket as old one could not be amended

Luckily Nok has now had her interview and passport received in her married name, panic over
    I'm ONE of the 52%

Orangesoup

My wife has her Thai Passport in her maiden name.

Her British Passport was issued in her married name.

She then requested that an entry to made in her British Passport that she is also Known As "maiden name".

Flight tickets can be purchased in either of my wife's surnames and I would advise drawing the difference of surnames to the attention of the Travel Agent/Airline before purchase.

It does however inevitably causes confusion at the Check-in desk and a consequential delay which should be dealt with by displaying patience and good-humour when pointing out the different surname on the front of a passport.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Orangesoup View Post
    ... It does however inevitably causes confusion at the Check-in desk and a consequential delay which should be dealt with by displaying patience and good-humour when pointing out the different surname on the front of a passport.
    ... or just use her married name on tickets when using her British passport for travel . If she intends to travel on her Thai passport then use her maiden name for the booking.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangesoup View Post
    ... She then requested that an entry to made in her British Passport that she is also Known As "maiden name"...
    I didn't realise that was possible! What forms did you use to do this? I know it is possible on the new ID Cards but not on a passport.

I do still see an issue though with airlines - especially where API is a requirement for travel notwithstanding any 'note' in the passport. More and more airlines (and governments) want to marry the name in the passenger manifest with the actual name on the travel document (passport/ID Card).
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Orangesoup

Tobias from memory I can not recall the appropriate form however I try to source it for you.

A Passport is a Legal Document and if it reflects the fact that a person is known by 2 different names then accordingly all Authorities either Governmental of Commercial have to have procedures to accommodate.

As you said
    I know it is possible on the new ID Cards but not on a passport.
    and if you think about it it stands to reason the British Government is not going to start bestowing new privileges just for ID cards.

Blog Entries

No issue at all with what you say Orangesoup, not a word of it. I just hadn't noticed it on any passport applications I've been involved with - but did notice it on my recent ID Card application. Passports and ID Cards are of course issued by the same Government Agency.

I am simply addressing a potential problem if an individual uses a name on a travel booking that is different from the name 'officially' stated on the travel document - such as 'Mary Married'. Whilst there may well be an 'also know as' endorsement in the passport/ID Card ('also known as Mary Maiden') the actual travel document will be in the principal name of 'Mary Married' - it is that name many airlines and government authorities now require to be stated on the booking, ticket and travel document - they should all be the same.

As API is required for travel to more and more destinations - where API is a requirement for travel, travel may be denied (without recourse) if the passenger's name on the flight manifest is different to the actual principal name on the travel document.

The solution is to always use the principal name on the travel document as the name in any travel booking. There is absolutely nothing to stop a wife using her maiden name after marriage on travel bookings provided that is the principal name on the travel document that is to be used for travel.

Unfortunately it's now not just about proving it is you who is traveling at checkin, it's about all kinds of security, criminal and anti-terror checks including the cross reference to watch-lists and no-fly-lists that are carried out even before you set foot in the airport and whilst the flight is on route.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Orangesoup

Hi Tobias,

I've had a quick read-thru of the paperwork that we've kept - so far its proved fruitless.

I recall I discovered that a second name could be placed on a Passport buried inside some long Guidance Notes.

I have pointed out before now to Check-in Staff that if my wife does not board the flight then the Airline is in Breach of Contract and consequently will be Liable for all Financial Costs suffered by both my wife and I and if necessary Legal Proceedings will be Issued. I always remain patient and good-humoured although I have noted that a look of panic crosses the face of those manning the Check-In.

I'll on a Visa run tomorrow and when I return I will look again for the details of writing to the Passport Office for the alternative name entry.

Yes having 2 names is not without its problems just ask Cherrie Booth QC (aka Mrs Tony Blair).

In my opinion if it is clearly shown in a Passport of an ID card that a person is known by more than by one name then there is a Duty on the Authorities to make reasonable changes to their procedures to accomodate such.

It is wise to attempt to have all travel documents in a single name however this may from time to time not prove possible.

Orangesoup

In my wife's instance of having 2 passports issued in 2 different names in only becomes revelant for travel that includes Thailand at some stage - all other travelling is done on her British Passport.

Flight tickets are purchased in England and therefore the Contract established is in accordance with English Law - if (say) prevented from boarding a flight in Bangkok as a consequence of differening names - any financial redress would be sought in England.