Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Bangkok Angel
    Mike Smith and Robin Hayes

"It is a true record of all the highs and lows, elation and anxieties that can occur when you meet the �Love of your life� - especially when she is Thai. It is also a book that all farang males in Thailand will appreciate from first hand experience ..... The book is like Mike himself, humorous, self effacing and so truthful it hurts. Definitely a great read." ... The Pattaya Mail

• Click the above link/image for details of this book.
    • Reply to this topic to add your review.
    • Use the Rate Thread link above to submit your rating of this book.
    Last edited by maokaang; 3rd Oct 2009 at 09:56.

I'll quote a couple of comments from a previous thread on this book.

posted by Mark W

Just read Bangkok Angel. Thought it was a fantastic book. I am sure that so many things that happened to Mike have happened to alot of us.

A brilliant read for everybody, especially those just starting in a relationship with a Thai lady.
    posted by Grahame

What a great read! It made me: Happy, sad, Angry, Laugh (alot!!) and the final chapters just leave you smiling!!

What a fantastic book.....
    Mark
    ควาย

Oh gosh I have to disagree. This is one of the worst written books in the English language or any other. Yes its a true account the author suffered the highs and lows but so what. There are better raconteurs in a Carpathian monastery. This is a straight up short ( like I just talked into a Dictaphone for 50 minutes ) account of how the guy goes to a marriage agency, does not like it falls for a girl at the Landmark Hotel ( never visits NEP ) falls in love realizes she might be ****ging another falang gets over it writes Her a song and they live happily ever after with his kids riding bicycles in the UK. Every time a chapter finishes with another hurdle to be overcome the author says " and Buddha smiled". Well Buddha may be merciful to this hackneyed mawkish cods wallop but this reviewer felt like he had ingested a dozen chocolate covered kittens. Memo to author if you arange to meet your girlfriend on the pavement on that stretch of Sukumvit road people may well stare but not for the reason you thought. If the Swiss Family Robinson were Anglo Thai this would be the book for them. Let me pause for a moment; is it just the content which is annoying. Answer no this is just truly badly written. The evil marriage agency people always look weaselly, tears are always salty and kisses always occur at sunset to a tune the author wrote ( Whiskeys song ( the girls name )). The only saving grace is that this couple got granted a visa first time so the book is mercifully short.

Please Please Please don't ever write a book again.

What you won't

"Ah the Buddha smiled"
    It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

Originally posted by richardb:
    [qb]
    Please Please Please don't ever write a book again.

What you won't

"Ah the Buddha smiled" [/qb]
    Sorry to dissapoint you Richard but apparently he's working on the follow up now.

Still you don't have to read it do you.

Sure it's not going to win any literary awards but I thought the book was a pleasant easy read and I enjoyed it.
    In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday

Hmm, I think I'm with Richard on this one. A magazine article, perhaps, but not a whole book. More life in a tramp's vest.
    Gordie T Geordie

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Barry's Avatar

In case anyone is interested, the author, Mike Smith, has just joined the forum. Interesting commercial web site.

Cheers

Barry

Richardb.....

Whilst some of your comments are valid, in that the book is short, and I am sure Mike himself would be the first to admit that he is not the next Hemingway or Shakespeare I think you are being a bit harsh in your review.

I read this book after meeting my wife, I didn't realise that sites like this one existed and so was going through the whole imigration process for Tong blind and Bangkok Angel helped a lot. In fact I emailed Mike for some advice and he was more than helpful, we even met up a couple of times, and he is a thoroughly nice chap, and his missus a really nice lady.

Yes the book is short, but I am with Danny on this one, it is a charming and often funny story, that is a nice read... my copy has been read by about 5 or 6 others and not one of them was dissapointed with the book !

Cheers

Mike
    Mike & Tong

Just like to thank everyone that has taken the trouble to review my book, Bangkok Angel. And for the honest comments on it.
    And sorry Richard but the next book is on the way.
    I read Richard's points with interest as it is only the second letter of hundreds I've received that is so critical.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I do feel Richard is a little vicious in his comments.
    However I would completely agree that I am no great writer, not of books anyway. Bangkok Angel just tells my story in the best way I could.
    So sorry Richard but it seems I continue to make Buddha smile, if not you. I could always give you a refund and buy you a beer!
    Cheers
    Mike

in that case mike I think your book sucks too ! mines a fosters !
    Mike & Tong

If I am ever the victim of a hit and run by an anglo thai family on bicycles................
    It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์ Grahame's Avatar

Mike

Welcome to the forum!

You've already had my glowing feedback in a recent e-mail which you very kindly replied to, and Mark obviously repeated my forum feedback above.

I thought it was a great book and am waiting with baited breath for the follow up!

The only sad thing (for you anyway) is that most of the copies sold seem to have been passed around and read many times by different people (myself included!) I promise to buy the new one though! "..... and Buddah Smiled"

Cheers

Great book Mike. Not a big book reader myself but this I enjoyed, although it was a little short.
    Picked it up from Bangkok airport back in April on the way home using up my spare cash.
    All the best with the next one.
    Andy
    Nothing ever Changes...but the shoes!

Thanks Andy and Grahame for your kind comments.
    Much appreciated.

If anyone in the forum has any questions about the book having read it I'd be happy to answer them.
    Like:
    Are we still together? - Yep
    Has the last 10 years been happy? - Most of it!
    How is little Kevin? - Big! with a Brummie accent!

Mike

..... and Buddah Smiled
    Mike & Tong

I have to say I found the book very useful and read it 3 times before puting the application into the Embassy. I found it useful as more of a reference book than a novel as I hadn't discovered this forum at the time.

I wasn't expecting a literary work of brilliance just found it a very reassuring story full of good advice such as not telling the ECO any lies amongst other useful info I can't recall. Could also sympathise with your business partner bearing the brunt during all your trips back and forth to the LOS, my business partner suffered a bit during the numerous trips also.

pleased to hear Mike that things are still good after 10 years

All the best

Duncan & Lek

Just read this book whilst I had 8 hours to kill, sat on my loco in an engineering site outside Sandbach. Gotta say...I thought it was a bloody good read, funny in places, honest & down to earth. I'd certainly recomend this book to others looking for a smile.
    In hoc signo crucis vinces

"Bangkok Angel-The Reality" is apparently almost finished & will be out on the shelves later on this year.

Is Mike Smith still an active member on this forum? If so, any updates/previews Mike?
    Gordie T Geordie

Yes he is.

Is Mike Smith still an active member on this forum?
    He's still a member, but not exactly active. He hasn't logged in since August 2004.
    Paul พอล
    กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด