Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Hi

My stepson Max will be 18 on 8th May and the application for his registration will be presented to the NCS on the 29th April.
    Having completed the application form, I have re-read the guidance notes and have noticed that one of the referees is required to be a 'professional engaged with him in a professional capacity'. The examples given are doctor, teacher, health visitor,social worker or minister of religion.
    Although we have two referees with 'professional status' they do not meet the criteria. Will this cause a problem?

Cheers

Colin

Colin, you say that they have professional status, but what are their occupations?

Also, your step-son Max, when did he start living in the UK? How long ago?
    John

Hi John

Max has been in the UK 2 years and 12 days.

One referee has profession status in the finacial sector and the other in engineering management.

Cheers

Colin

It will probably be OK but are either of them a member of a recognised professional body?

And their exact job titles, as entered on the form MN1?
    John

Hi Colin, I used two referee's both retired, one was ex BA airline Captian, the other was a retired school teacher, as far as I know neither was contacted about my wife, the NCS told us that there would be no problems with either of them being put as referee's
    dont judge me by my past, I dont live there anymore.

David & Aree

Indipendant financial adviser and the second is a project manager. Both have acted as referees for naturalisation purposes or passport aplications with no problems.
    The statement ' engaged with the child in a professional capacity' is what causes my concern.

Cheers

Colin

Is he going to school? does he have a job? school teacher, or his boss from work maybe why not ask the NCS for advise.
    dont judge me by my past, I dont live there anymore.

David & Aree

Member สมาชิก

You have to follow the rules or you risk having the application rejected and losing £400.00. As you rightly say one of the referees has to have known your step son in a professional capacity ie has been his teacher, doctor, given legal advice as a solicitor etc. We were faced with the same problem last month when my 2 step-sons applied to become registered as British Citizens. They have been here just over 2 years and one was just about to turn 18. The younger boy is still in school so getting one of his teachers to act as a referee was no problem. The older boy, however, had dropped out of school and was working in a Thai restaurant. Although his ex-teacher was willing to sign the forms it turned out he was ineligible as he wasn't a UK passport holder. The Thai employer was unwilling so in desperation I asked a friend to sign. She is a EFL Teacher and was willing to do it on the basis that she had given my step-son educational advice when he first arrived. The applications were submitted at the beginning of March and 4 weeks later we were informed that the applications had been successful. You mention that your friends are in the financial and engineering sectors. I can't see how their chosen professions would interact with the life of an 18 year old. Teachers(has your son received any education in this country?), Doctors (is your son registered with a GP) or solicitors(have you got a family solicitor who knows the family) are a better bet. I understand your concern as the application has to be received in Liverpool before his 18th birthday. However rather than take a risk, think about the 2 years he has been here and try to remember any dealings your step-son might have had with people of a professional standing. I had to do the same and it was only then that I remembered my teacher-friend.
    Good luck!

Hi

A little background

For the 1st year Max lived with us in Waterlooville and was registered with our local GP whom he visited once. Max attended ESOL classes at two seperate colleges but could not get accesses to more than 6 hours of classes per week which proved worthless.
    To increase his ESOL classes to full time he moved to London to stay with friends and study at their local college.
    Max was bullied and subsequently moved to another London college where he is still studying. Max returns to Waterlooville some weekends and end of term etc but no one, either in the teaching or medical profession, have known him for long enough to act as a referee.

Cheers

Colin

Member สมาชิก

The rules on who is eligible to act as referee only states that one of the referees needs to have known your step-son in a professional capacity. There is no mention of how long they are meant to have known him.
    Re-read the guidance noteshttp://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicatio...nality/guide_mn1.pdf , then send or get your step-son to download the relevant page and get one of his teachers to fill it out pronto. Although it doesn't say that the referee has to be a UK passport holder I think it would be better to find one who is, as there is a box where the referee is meant to fill in his UK passport number.

I would ignore the advice of some of the members who have replied to your post. It is simply not worth bending the rules in these cases as too much is at stake. As I recall referees for applications for spouses to become Naturalised British Citizens follow a different set of rules so aren't relevant. Remember the registering of children under 18 as British Citizens is at the discretion of the Home Secretary. Don't give them a reason to reject the application however remote the possibility may appear that they would go to the trouble of checking up on your chosen referees.

Stourport on Severn + Suan Gluay, BanPong + Saphan Sung, BKK

Quote: From Maeiow:
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    The rules on who is eligible to act as referee only states that one of the referees needs to have known your step-son in a professional capacity. There is no mention of how long they are meant to have known him.

-------------------------------------------------------

The document I have AN states: Section 5
    5.1 both should declare they have known applicant personally for more than 3 years.

The application form to register a child as a British Citizen is MN1 and, as I understand it, does not state a time period the referee should have known the child.

Colin1

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I have re-read the guidance notes and you are quite right maeiow it does not specify the length of time the referee should have known the child.
    Max was in Waterlooville last weekend and he was quickly dispatched back to London with the form where one of his tutors had agreed to act as a referee. The form was completed and returned to us but not in time to attend the NCS appointment.
    Unable to book a new appointment with the NCS I have today posted the documents and will be keeping my fingers crossed all the requirements have been satisfied.

Cheers

Colin

Update:

Having not received an acknowledgement for payment after 3 weeks, I contacted the home office and was informed the application had been rejected as it was incomplete.
    A further 3 weeks passed befor we received the documents with the rejection letter as they had ignored the self addressed special delivery envelope and had sent everything to the wrong address.

The rejection was because I had mistakenly authorised a payment in excess of the required amount.

The reject letter was dated 4th May. 4 days before Max's birthday

I e-mailed the Home Office and pointed out that if the rejection letter and documents had been returned using the enclosed self addressed envelope I would have had time to correct my mistake and re-submit the application before the 8th.

No reply.

Resent a further 2 times and eventually had a response around September suggestion re-submitting the corrected application along with all the evidence of the mis-directed mail. It was also suggested that this was a bit of a long shot as Max was now 18 years and 4 months.

NCS would not check the application as he was now over 18 and some of the information had changed. So with fingers crossed again the application was submitted.

12th December (Max now 18 and 7 Months) received notification that application to register Max as a British Citizen has been successful.

Colin

Blog Entries

It's nice to see common sense has prevailed, any other decision would have been perverse. That said, they should never have returned the papers. At least it's all over now
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    Stay home. Stay alert. Save lives.